Official Game Thread: TCU vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
Official attendance was 52821. Considering TCU didn’t travel well that isn’t a bad number.
Sometimes they list basketball attendance at around 6000 ot 7000 when there isn't anywhere near that.

The biggest problem with our fans yesterday is that they showed up really late.

When the band came out with 20 minutes to go until game time, it was scary how sparce it was.

It got decently full by midway through the 1st quarter, but then it started emptying out as the 2nd half went on.

And.....
It was a close game.

And the energy wasn't very good

Sep 24, 2011
For OSU fans the choice between drinking alcohol and cheering for the Pokes is not close. Why go into the stadium when you can sit at your tailgate, watch the game on tv, and drink?

Nov 14, 2010
For OSU fans the choice between drinking alcohol and cheering for the Pokes is not close. Why go into the stadium when you can sit at your tailgate, watch the game on tv, and drink?
I've never understood why someone would buy a ticket, possibly season tickets, then not want to take in all of the game.

I'll admit though.....
I don't tailgate and I am there strictly to watch the game.

I like to get in the stadium an hour before kickoff just to take it all in.

The way I see it, I can drink before and after the game, and can spend less than $20 and drink 1 beer per half at the game

But.....
I enjoy the game so much that I prefer to not be altered too much when watching it

Plus ...
There is 46 other Saturdays where there aren't OSU home games to drink and party.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Along with Chuba's once again spectacular numbers, another big number today was FIVE sacks. I would guess it's been a while since we've had that many against a D1 opponent. Also, all of the sudden the defense is starting to force turnovers and a large rate--7 in the last 5 quarters. Reason for optimism about our defense...?
Definite reason for optimism. Also, what's funny about your first line. I sat in the student section and the 2 most common chants were "SACK SACK SACK", and "CHU CHU CHU CHUBA".

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Did it look any better earlier? Because the section I was in didn't empty out a bunch until about 5 minutes left on clock.

this is well after halftime - - I've had season tickets since 1982. there were a lot of no shows, including the students but that photo must have been after a "free food " moment. That said, I would guess 45K max in a 56K stadium. & thanks TCU for bringing their band, not much TCU fandon travelers though
Speaking of the TCU band, I got some pics of the TBS and KKPsi groups singing their songs together after the game with the OSU groups.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I've never understood why someone would buy a ticket, possibly season tickets, then not want to take in all of the game.

I'll admit though.....

The way I see it, I can drink before and after the game, and can spend less than $20 and drink 1 beer per half at the game

But.....
I enjoy the game so much that I prefer to not be altered too much when watching it

Plus ...
There is 46 other Saturdays where there aren't OSU home games to drink and party.
Plus....
It's hard to hold the old grease board in your lap and draw up plays with a beer in your hand...

Nov 16, 2013
tractor

I'll admit though.....

But.....

Plus ...
Let me answer that for you. Most of our family came over before they changed the entry rules. We are talking an average of 35 to 40 people counting all the kids. We have eight of us now because the ones with tickets can't come out and visit. The tailgating was supposed to be a central part of the culture, but now it is an afterthought.

If the coaches deem the other sports aren't sticking around why do you expect of normal fans?

Nov 14, 2010
Let me answer that for you. Most of our family came over before they changed the entry rules. We are talking an average of 35 to 40 people counting all the kids. We have eight of us now because the ones with tickets can't come out and visit. The tailgating was supposed to be a central part of the culture, but now it is an afterthought.

If the coaches deem the other sports aren't sticking around why do you expect of normal fans?
Taligating is great

But it needs to revolve around the game, not compete with it.

If people with tickets are tailgating instead of coming into the stadium then that's a problem

Taligating has not become an after thought

They're just trying to make sure the game doesn't become one.

If OSU is to ever jump to the next level, we need the stadium full during the game from start to finish.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I guess he did need one more. No helmet sticker for Chuba. The RB from A&M got one for rushing for less yards against UTSA. I wonder why.*

*sarcasm
WOW. This is where the players being able to profit off their likeness is going to hurt schools like us if someone can be at the top of their game and not receive recognition here. Chuba would be the talk of the nation if he was at an SEC school, OU, Ohio State, USC, or Notre Dame. Oh and Clemson.

Nov 14, 2010
WOW. This is where the players being able to profit off their likeness is going to hurt schools like us if someone can be at the top of their game and not receive recognition here. Chuba would be the talk of the nation if he was at an SEC school, OU, Ohio State, USC, or Notre Dame. Oh and Clemson.
Their point would be....
If Chuba was at an SEC school, he wouldn't be having the success he's having because he'd be going up against an SEC defense

It's bad now that ESPN and the SEC control everything

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Their point would be....
If Chuba was at an SEC school, he wouldn't be having the success he's having because he'd be going up against an SEC defense

It's bad now that ESPN and the SEC control everything
That would be a stupid point to try to make then and they'd look like idiots when Chuba has success in the NFL. And he will.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
That would be a stupid point to try to make then and they'd look like idiots when Chuba has success in the NFL. And he will.
They don't care if they'll look foolish in hindsight if it helps them accomplish their agenda today

Jul 12, 2004
Stillwater, OK

I've had it with the "No Reentry" policy. Last year we were promised better and price-conscious food choices. And last year wasn't too bad. The first year, everything was new and it wasn't too bad. This year, every other kiosk is Pizza Hut and they switched from Coke to Pepsi. Even the vendors who stayed have cut back on their choices and others have upped their prices. I spent $25 on a sandwich & drink & didn't even get chips. Sheesh.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Taligating is great

But it needs to revolve around the game, not compete with it.

If people with tickets are tailgating instead of coming into the stadium then that's a problem

Taligating has not become an after thought

They're just trying to make sure the game doesn't become one.

If OSU is to ever jump to the next level, we need the stadium full during the game from start to finish.
If you want families making it part of their fall to be in Stillwater on game day you had best change that attitude. The crowds before the game were small and have been declining the past two years. This trapping people in a stadium is weak, you can't find a grillaroni and the selections are receding. It's not about football, it's about and entertaining and fun atmosphere, that isn't really happening.

Nov 14, 2010
If you want families making it part of their fall to be in Stillwater on game day you had best change that attitude. The crowds before the game were small and have been declining the past two years. This trapping people in a stadium is weak, you can't find a grillaroni and the selections are receding. It's not about football, it's about and entertaining and fun atmosphere, that isn't really happening.
How can you be a big time program and gamedays not be about football?

We sold out our earlier games coming off of a 7 win season.

We have more people in the stands to start the 2nd half then we did before the policy which is a very good thing.

If someone buys a ticket, then isn't at the game, they are guaranteeing that that there will be 1 less person in attendance. That's not good

It would be better to give that ticket to someone who will be in the seats.

If tailgating is that big of a deal to you, I can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't eat before and after the game at your taligate.

Why would you tailgate that extensively, then rely on stadium food for your lunch or dinner?

Is having people there that aren't going to the game, and are keeping people from going into the stadium a good thing for the football program?

If we're ever going to be a bigtime program, we need more people at the games that can't wait to go to the game and create a great home field, and less people that are there just to party.

The quickest way to lose both fans and tailgaters is for the football program to fall off.

Last edited:

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
As high as ticket prices are with the required donations I can’t imagine sitting in the parking lot during the game. Of course I haven’t had season tickets since I left Oklahoma 10 years ago.

So I won’t judge anybody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
How can you be a big time program and gamedays not be about football?

We sold out our earlier games coming off of a 7 win season.

We have more people in the stands to start the 2nd half then we did before the policy which is a very good thing.

If someone buys a ticket, then isn't at the game, they are guaranteeing that that there will be 1 less person in attendance. That's not good

It would be better to give that ticket to someone who will be in the seats.

If tailgating is that big of a deal to you, I can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't eat before and after the game at your taligate.

Why would you tailgate that extensively, then rely on stadium food for your lunch or dinner?

Is having people there that aren't going to the game, and are keeping people from going into the stadium a good thing for the football program?

If we're ever going to be a bigtime program, we need more people at the games that can't wait to go to the game and create a great home field, and less people that are there just to party.

The quickest way to lose both fans and tailgaters is for the football program to fall off.
You said it, we can't be losing to the tacobreaths and an inferior whorn team and be big time. If they want to fill that stadium quit being boring, we have had runs up the middle as a staple since Weeden graduated, it has slowly devolved to slow and methodical offense. I like football, but the grind it out, totally balanced offense can be like watching paint dry. I had one recent graduate say to me yesterday that he misses the old offense.

Here's your issue with the student section. The Greek system cares about homecoming, incentivize that attitude and make their attendance throughout the game part of the total homecoming win at the end of the season. If staff and players are coming to the game they need to stick around, period. They are in noticable seats. It's a bad look if they don't stick around. I'm glad they are there in the first place, but not being the same place

Nov 14, 2010
You said it, we can't be losing to the tacobreaths and an inferior whorn team and be big time. If they want to fill that stadium quit being boring, we have had runs up the middle as a staple since Weeden graduated, it has slowly devolved to slow and methodical offense. I like football, but the grind it out, totally balanced offense can be like watching paint dry. I had one recent graduate say to me yesterday that he misses the old offense.

Here's your issue with the student section. The Greek system cares about homecoming, incentivize that attitude and make their attendance throughout the game part of the total homecoming win at the end of the season. If staff and players are coming to the game they need to stick around, period. They are in noticable seats. It's a bad look if they don't stick around. I'm glad they are there in the first place, but not being the same place
I agree about the offense stuff and that's why I've stated a couple times now that these are dangerous times for OSU.

The problem Gundy has now is that fans have seen what exciting offense looks like and they can see the difference in what we're doing now.

Bottom line is that people are paying for entertainment.

If people aren't having fun they'll stop going.

If we're going play a less exciting brand of football, we better win more or it won't balance out in terms of entertainmnent with the fans.

In 2011 we had both. Exciting offense and winning

Winning, of course, trumps everything, but I don't see how we play now is helping in that vein