Official Game Thread: Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
Agree, you don't kick FGs against that team

Well, close. Gundy = .143% winning %. All time is .168%. However, Gundy's time has also coincided with uo resurgence to football preeminence. They have beaten us 4 times when ranked lower in the G era, we beat them once when ranked lower.

Really need to have perspective; the last 5 games in this series, coming into the game the have been ranked #3. #5, #5, #6, #7. Our best rank was # 11 - 3 times, against their #3, #5, and #6.

I would love to own this series and I expect more victories but not many schools win against these guys and this game is, now, always circled on their calendar. Just saying
My mistake; Gundy is 13.3%; did not include his first year. All time is correct, have to take the ties out.
Still stand with their (uo) overwhelming rankings & history

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yep, those were close but kind of felt came out ahead on the officiating. OU 9/95 vs OSU 3/25.
O-Line never called for holding despite multiple pass pro, vs multiple calls for OU (one negated a TD).
Actually shocked the call on the field of the sideline interception got reversed. From the TV replays, it looked like green between the shoe and the line. Usually the call on the field stands, but got a break there!
I was shocked the out of bounds interception was reversed as well, but his heel was clearly out of bounds so that's why they did...the targeting call late in the game however sealed it for ou IMHO. There was no way we were going to come back after that sapped the life out of our defense and basically ended it. They don't make that call and the crowd is back in the defense is mega stoked and you sack Hurts a few times and get the ball back with possibilities...not so the way it went.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Someone correct me if my math’s wrong but I believe our all time football winning percentage vs OU was 21% when Gundy took over. Gundy’s winning percentage vs OU is 13%......
It's 16% to 14% but very few if anyone gives Gundy any credit for the wins he was involved with as OC and QB coach on staff...Btw, 2% is nothing and IF Gundy was given credit for the two Miles wins when he was on staff. Bottom line, we suck vs OU and always have. If someone really wants to do a study on this they should look at score difference rather than wins to show progress. I'm fairly certain margin of victory has shrunk quit substantially for OU in this series since HCMG took over. I know it's sad we have to look at that, but it is what it is in this extremely one sided "rivalry."

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
It's 16% to 14% but very few if anyone gives Gundy any credit for the wins he was involved with as OC and QB coach on staff...Btw, 2% is nothing and IF Gundy was given credit for the two Miles wins when he was on staff. Bottom line, we suck vs OU and always have. If someone really wants to do a study on this they should look at score difference rather than wins to show progress. I'm fairly certain margin of victory has shrunk quit substantially for OU in this series since HCMG took over. I know it's sad we have to look at that, but it is what it is in this extremely one sided "rivalry."
If you’re going to count two wins under Miles what about the loses as a player?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
I was shocked the out of bounds interception was reversed as well, but his heel was clearly out of bounds so that's why they did...the targeting call late in the game however sealed it for ou IMHO. There was no way we were going to come back after that sapped the life out of our defense and basically ended it. They don't make that call and the crowd is back in the defense is mega stoked and you sack Hurts a few times and get the ball back with possibilities...not so the way it went.
This crap happens every year in this game.

Oct 30, 2007
If someone really wants to do a study on this they should look at score difference rather than wins to show progress. I'm fairly certain margin of victory has shrunk quit substantially for OU in this series since HCMG took over. I know it's sad we have to look at that, but it is what it is in this extremely one sided "rivalry."
That's an interesting thought. I compared Coach Gundy's 15 year career to the 15 years prior to him being named head coach.

Bedlam statistics from 2005 to 2019:
Record: 2-13
Winning percentage: 13.3%
Average point differential: 11.73 points in favor of Oklahoma

Bedlam statistics from 1990 to 2004:
Record: 5-9-1
Winning percentage: 35.7%
Average point differential: 7.6 points in favor of Oklahoma

The point differential margin in the bedlam game has widened under Coach Gundy in comparison to recent history. That probably has more to do with Oklahoma though. Stoops & Riley elevated their program back to an elite level.

oldguy

Greenhorn
Sep 12, 2008
That's an interesting thought. I compared Coach Gundy's 15 year career to the 15 years prior to him being named head coach.

Bedlam statistics from 2005 to 2019:
Record: 2-13
Winning percentage: 13.3%
Average point differential: 11.73 points in favor of Oklahoma

Bedlam statistics from 1990 to 2004:
Record: 5-9-1
Winning percentage: 35.7%
Average point differential: 7.6 points in favor of Oklahoma

The point differential margin in the bedlam game has widened under Coach Gundy in comparison to recent history. That probably has more to do with Oklahoma though. Stoops & Riley elevated their program back to an elite level.
The years 1995-2002 were a statistical anamoly that you would have to go back to the 1920's/1930's to beat. The previous 15 years had only 1 victory (76) and you would have to go back to 65/66 and then another twenty years to get more. Only 5 wins and 3 ties in the 60 years from 1934-1994.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
The years 1995-2002 were a statistical anamoly that you would have to go back to the 1920's/1930's to beat. The previous 15 years had only 1 victory (76) and you would have to go back to 65/66 and then another twenty years to get more. Only 5 wins and 3 ties in the 60 years from 1934-1994.
Our key to victory in that game is apparently OU hiring another Blake/Schnellenberger.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Ou barely fields a team these days and still we lost to them recently...btw, we are Penn States bitch and have been for a long time now in a sport we should win NCAA titles in at least every few years. When did we win the last one? I hope that changes, but switching coaches isn’t the answer in wrestling either.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This inconvenient truth hurts the argument of those who simply want to trash HCMG

Last edited:

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
Serious question: Is there anything aside from NCAA violations or criminal activity that would cause you to not support coach Gundy?
Serious answer: Yes. Actual lack of success by the team and coaches. Not the Sunday morning whining you can read on the internet, real lack of success. This crying and gnashing of teeth over losing to ou is just more of the same old 1-game season stuff that osu fans used to claim, beat ou and the season is a success. Well, that ain't the case anymore, and 14 straight seasons over .500 is pretty darned successful, no matter how much YOU dislike it.

oldguy

Greenhorn
Sep 12, 2008
Ou barely fields a team these days and still we lost to them recently...btw, we are Penn States bitch and have been for a long time now in a sport we should win NCAA titles in at least every few years. When did we win the last one? I hope that changes, but switching coaches isn’t the answer in wrestling either.
For the last 8 or 9 years everybody has been Pemn States bitch in wrestling. No one has dominated like they have since Iowa in the late 20th century. What Cael Sanderson has done there is simply amazing. We could use a new facility for Wrestling.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Serious answer: Yes. Actual lack of success by the team and coaches. Not the Sunday morning whining you can read on the internet, real lack of success. This crying and gnashing of teeth over losing to ou is just more of the same old 1-game season stuff that osu fans used to claim, beat ou and the season is a success. Well, that ain't the case anymore, and 14 straight seasons over .500 is pretty darned successful, no matter how much YOU dislike it.
1. Define "success".
2. If your definition of "success" is related to our historical performance instead of our current circumstances, then you're already hopeless.

Patron

Wrangler
Oct 12, 2019
Dustin,ok
Birry is berry,berry successful in all of life and is a berry,berry fortunate person, he knows his stuff. I’m not hiring at present, but if I was, I should would have to look his way.He isn’t hopeless but he isn’t hopeful either.He runs on an oval track.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Birry is berry,berry successful in all of life and is a berry,berry fortunate person, he knows his stuff. I’m not hiring at present, but if I was, I should would have to look his way.He isn’t hopeless but he isn’t hopeful either.He runs on an oval track.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
We are the 2nd winningest program in the Big 12 in the last decade.
Conference records:
UO 73-16
OSU 58-31

They have 15 more wins than us, but you guys want him fired because we don't beat UO enough.

We have gotten over the hurdle if being a winning program. Beating UO and/or winning more conference ships is the next hurdle. With Gundy out recruiting as soon as he could Sunday, I have no doubt that he is working to be able to get us over that next hurdle.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk