Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Texas Tech

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Yeah, we’d probably be sitting with 3 losses now with Corny dog. Remember the Tech, Baylor, and Kstate debacles last year.
Unlike this year, our D could not stop any of the dink and dumps Tech was throwing at us.

Can't remember any of the Baylor and K-State game. QB Purdy surprises us badly in the I-State game

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
The reality is we are 0-2 in conference play. Any dreams of making the Big 12 conference playoff is pretty much done.
Now, we're faced with the fact that ou and UT will not be challenged on their way to the playoff.

We complain about how the early season prognosticators give us no respect. We talk about how we've got the pieces to challenge for the conference crown, yet we, like last year, have lost a crucial game to keep our hopes alive, to a lousy team.
A team with a second string quarterback who was blasted last week.
We lost to a team with a new coach that came into town with an empty cupboard. We were favored and had highly regarded triplets of Sanders, Hubbard and Wallace and with the exception of a workhorse Hubbard, we were shut down by a team that has never had a defense....UNTIL TODAY.

Next week, TT will get blown out again by a team with a coach that expects each and every week to be a battle and to be prepared.
Who knows where I coaching head will be. But you can bet it won't be thinking about being a competitor in the Big 12 conference playoffs.

I can promise you Baylor will be prepared and ready to win. The went out a found a great coach. A coach that basically started with a near death sentence roster. This same Baylor is undefeated in conference and they have a damn good quarterback starting.

Once again, Gundy has allowed a weak, limping program to pull off an upset and basically throw cold water on a rebound from last year's disaster of a season.

I was looking foward to making Bedlam mean something other than state pride.

Sep 29, 2006
I guess because Stillwater isn't within 2 hours of 17 to 20 million people like Waco is and they also matched or exceed our football faculties and more recently...and because Gundy's actually been the most successful coach in our history over the long haul...it's not a hard concept to understand way so many think he would be hard to replace...we know the history of our program and acknowledge that Stillwater is a fairly hard place in which to bring in great athletes. Despite this, Gundy has been our most productive and successful coach in our modern history...and it's not really close. Vocal anti-coach Gundy fans come on this board after every loss and shout how they think we should replace Gundy...my point is that those fans are homers (and they call me one ironically) and don't see who we are over the long haul, and have a glorified opinion of our facilities, town, and overall offering to athletes. While all are good and nice, they aren't heads and shoulders above others especially after everyone else in the conference caught up with us = recently. I'm just pretty sure it's not as easy a sell as the "replace Gundy" folks think that it is to bring kids here. In fact, I'm nearly sure that we would NOT improve over a period of time with another coach. I think it's more than a 75% or even 80% chance that we would lose in the trade.

Btw, Snyder at kSU was 64.7% , Gundy at OSU is 67.6%
The recruiting to Stillwater is hard - is played out. Currently no other coach at OSU is having trouble bringing in great athletes to town.

Jan 14, 2006
I agree with a lot of what you said. But holy crap our defense was atrocious today. We couldn’t stop anything. They either had guys wide open or they were catching it with OSU guys all around them. They made our defense look stupid.
This is wrong. Our D played pretty good until they wore down. Our depth can't overcome 5 turnovers. They weren't the steel curtain but they were plenty good enough to have us up 2 or 3 scores at half if we had any kind of O.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The recruiting to Stillwater is hard - is played out. Currently no other coach at OSU is having trouble bringing in great athletes to town.
I hope basketball is indeed changing but we have been in the celler for awhile...Eddie didn't win with top recruits...and neither does Mike when he's winning. Yes we bring in top recruits in golf and wrestling due to our history in those two sports.

Sep 29, 2006
I hope basketball is indeed changing but we have been in the celler for awhile...Eddie didn't win with top recruits...and neither does Mike when he's winning. Yes we bring in top recruits in golf and wrestling due to our history in those two sports.

Kenny G, Josh f, Jim L, Carmichael, all are recruiting high level 4 star level recruits. Additionally we don't seem to have a hard time bringing in 4 star WR, RB, QB's to poor little Stillwater.

Apr 7, 2006
The reality is we are 0-2 in conference play. Any dreams of making the Big 12 conference playoff is pretty much done.
Now, we're faced with the fact that ou and UT will not be challenged on their way to the playoff.

We complain about how the early season prognosticators give us no respect. We talk about how we've got the pieces to challenge for the conference crown, yet we, like last year, have lost a crucial game to keep our hopes alive, to a lousy team.
A team with a second string quarterback who was blasted last week.
We lost to a team with a new coach that came into town with an empty cupboard. We were favored and had highly regarded triplets of Sanders, Hubbard and Wallace and with the exception of a workhorse Hubbard, we were shut down by a team that has never had a defense....UNTIL TODAY.

Next week, TT will get blown out again by a team with a coach that expects each and every week to be a battle and to be prepared.
Who knows where I coaching head will be. But you can bet it won't be thinking about being a competitor in the Big 12 conference playoffs.

I can promise you Baylor will be prepared and ready to win. The went out a found a great coach. A coach that basically started with a near death sentence roster. This same Baylor is undefeated in conference and they have a damn good quarterback starting.

Once again, Gundy has allowed a weak, limping program to pull off an upset and basically throw cold water on a rebound from last year's disaster of a season.

I was looking foward to making Bedlam mean something other than state pride.
And if Techs upcoming opponent gets manhandled on the line and turns it over they'll lose. If Saban had coached the team for the last week and they made those mistakes - the outcome would be the same. Not sure that's sinking jn for those that is so are deadset on making Gundy the whipping boy. He's obviously not without fault, but my goodness if I didn't know any different this is all part of his diabolical plot.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Gundy has done too many things right to start talking about life without him after a frustrating loss. Although we do appear to be headed for the 3rd season in a row of under achieving reasonable expectations and his recent level of success doesn't match his pay check.

We have seen some pretty good programs, with much better resources, struggle to make a smooth coaching change.

Jan 31, 2012
when it comes down to it we lack talent outside of skill players, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I have never believed stars don't matter and that 2 stars can be coached up etc...

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
You're right, they did make some good plays. I was impressed with their receivers' ability to go up and get the ball. But Duffey is the leading passer in all of FBS so far this week. That's more about our defense being bad than their offense being good.
If he could hit an open receiver they would have scored 70+ on us. He overthrew so many open receivers. 59% pass completion, 78.4 QBR. Duffey didn't beat us, we shot off both our feet.

Nov 6, 2010
This is wrong. Our D played pretty good until they wore down. Our depth can't overcome 5 turnovers. They weren't the steel curtain but they were plenty good enough to have us up 2 or 3 scores at half if we had any kind of O.
Exactly, we're never going to be a dominant defense, but we had 3 turnovers and a shanked punt in the first half, and Tech scored 1 TD. That should be good enough to win against a team that also doesn't have a dominant defense.

And speaking of punting, we had to go all the way across the globe and find a 29 year old dude to spend a scholarship on why??