Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Texas Tech

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Lots of wins and consistent loses to the teams OSU needs to beat to be relevant. Gundy will have OSU primed for the Camping World Bowl against middle to bottom tier SEC teams, Virginia Techs, whoever we played last year I’ve honestly forgot. I’m sorry I would just hope the fan base wanted more than 4th in the b12 to be an exciting give me this all day long season...
Last year was not a good year by our standards...and many fans blamed it on our QB choice...that appears to be a fallacy at this point. My point is that couch coaches don't really know what our coaches go through nor how hard it is just to compete, more less thrive, in this now very high level conference with ou siting on its top. Certainly the three years prior with stable QBing where much better than this one and the last one...our hope is that "the guy" (i.e.QB) is still out there and when we find him we will be in for a another nice run. Gotta get to that guy....not sure it's SS..wish and hope that it is....but hes in a rough spot.

Apr 7, 2006
I think you'd have a hard time overstating what coordinator and position coaching changes has done. Wickline left and left the cupboard EMPTY, his replacement couldn't recruit to save his life and now we're on our 4th oline coach in 5 years and haven't had a good offensive line since 2013.

You've replaced 2 defensive coordinators in 7 years (if my memory serves me correctly). You've brought in 2 guys from lower division to call plays and lost at least 2 rb coaches that I'm aware of.

The recruiting results are a major reflection of the entire coaching staff and lately it's just not had the stability necessary.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You wrote a lot here but it’s not hard to be successful coach when compared against history if your history is losing. So now OSU wins a little goes to some mid-level bowl games and everyone is happy? Because OSU sucked in the 70s and 80s?

why can’t it be in 2011 OSU won a conference championship and BCS game, was the reason college football put a playoff system in place and competed for conference championships (losing of course the next couple years. Now less than a decade later OSU is looking like a consistent 4 or 5th best in the conference consistently losing games it should win. And if it shouldn’t win those games (see today for example) why in Gods green earth are we paying a football coach 5 freaking million dollars for these results.

but yes, games like today, and Baylor last year and TCU the year before are a ok because we sucked in the 70s
Everyone wants to be better...some just realize it's far deeper than something a coaching change can easily fix. Unless a coaching change can consistently put 85K plus fans in the stadium...make Stillwater a bigger city close to millions of people in football rich areas...give us a beach and some mountains...good weather and great looking women...also putting us far far away from a major national football power who constantly negatively recruits against us and built their dynasty on cheating and over signing players to keep them away from programs...especially ours. If a coaching change was a "magic wand" who wouldn't wave it?...news flash...it isn't.

Btw
Tulsa 30
SMU 9
press clippings are bad...I think we read them as well.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You wrote a lot here but it’s not hard to be successful coach when compared against history if your history is losing. So now OSU wins a little goes to some mid-level bowl games and everyone is happy? Because OSU sucked in the 70s and 80s?

why can’t it be in 2011 OSU won a conference championship and BCS game, was the reason college football put a playoff system in place and competed for conference championships (losing of course the next couple years. Now less than a decade later OSU is looking like a consistent 4 or 5th best in the conference consistently losing games it should win. And if it shouldn’t win those games (see today for example) why in Gods green earth are we paying a football coach 5 freaking million dollars for these results.

but yes, games like today, and Baylor last year and TCU the year before are a ok because we sucked in the 70s
No games like Texas and WVU last year are ok...the others are not...;-)

The point is not that we sucked in the 50's - 70's, the 90's and the early 2000's...it's that we sucked far worse than we do now and it's not close...Gundy has elevated the program to the point that it has to be fed...this is a good thing, but it shouldn't eat itself.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
No games like Texas and WVU last year are ok...the others are not...;-)

The point is not that we sucked in the 50's - 70's, the 90's and the early 2000's...it's that we sucked far worse than we do now and it's not close...Gundy has elevated the program to the point that it has to be fed...this is a good thing, but it shouldn't eat itself.
Let's not act like it was all about Gundy. Although he deserves some credit, Boone's checkbook is a big part of the reason we aren't the same program.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Let's not act like it was all about Gundy. Although he deserves some credit, Boone's checkbook is a big part of the reason we aren't the same program.
Agreed, but most of the other schools in the conference have now caught up in facilities and some have better and newer ones. It turns out it was a short term shot in the arm...but it has put us on the playing field.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I think you'd have a hard time overstating what coordinator and position coaching changes has done. Wickline left and left the cupboard EMPTY, his replacement couldn't recruit to save his life and now we're on our 4th oline coach in 5 years and haven't had a good offensive line since 2013.

You've replaced 2 defensive coordinators in 7 years (if my memory serves me correctly). You've brought in 2 guys from lower division to call plays and lost at least 2 rb coaches that I'm aware of.

The recruiting results are a major reflection of the entire coaching staff and lately it's just not had the stability necessary.
Dunn has shown to be a great hire. Dickey should stabilize our OL situation.

Knowles hasn’t shown any promise yet. We haven’t had any history of success defensively and this seems to be a glaring weakness of the program... which reflects on Gundy.

Gleeson has been spotty, but he deserves some time to show progress. If Gundy can’t groom him into a successful OC at this level, that’s a poor reflection as well. That would be two OCs touted as highly creative minds who came here to only mysteriously lose their imagination.

I’m still optimistic Gundy can get this plane back in the air, but his runway is getting shorter. I didn’t have huge expectations for this season with a redshirt freshman starting at QB. I figured 8 wins this year would be a success and I still think that’s the case (and possible). But if he can’t develop the DC and OC, and if we can’t solidify the OL and make/find a QB to lead this team... someone has to be accountable for that.

Nov 18, 2011
Last year was not a good year by our standards...and many fans blamed it on our QB choice...that appears to be a fallacy at this point. My point is that couch coaches don't really know what our coaches go through nor how hard it is just to compete, more less thrive, in this now very high level conference with ou siting on its top. Certainly the three years prior with stable QBing where much better than this one and the last one...our hope is that "the guy" (i.e.QB) is still out there and when we find him we will be in for a another nice run. Gotta get to that guy....not sure it's SS..wish and hope that it is....but hes in a rough spot.
Gotta love the “well they try hard” mentality. That’s what Gundy gets paid 4-5 mil for. Most of us “couch fans” were ok with the QB choice to start, but when we got trounced by Tech and Kstate thought that it might be best to give someone else a try, if for nothing else experience for this year. That didn’t happen, last year basically became a waste from a development standpoint, and now we are riding the waves this year instead. Some just can’t acknowledge the mismanagement.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Its simple. Our qb was awful, our d was awful, and our coaches were awful. Those are all gigantic in a vacuum but combined it is literally insane. We saw our peak peak bad today.
It all depends on how you prepare for the game and how the opponent prepare against you.

We all agreed to run over Tech, they were prepared for that.

They knew our QB didn't see the field well, they prepared for that. we didn't.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Gotta love the “well they try hard” mentality. That’s what Gundy gets paid 4-5 mil for. Most of us “couch fans” were ok with the QB choice to start, but when we got trounced by Tech and Kstate thought that it might be best to give someone else a try, if for nothing else experience for this year. That didn’t happen, last year basically became a waste from a development standpoint, and now we are riding the waves this year instead. Some just can’t acknowledge the mismanagement.
Because we realize we don't have the insite into the program in order to "acknowledge the mismanagement" or even comment on if it is indeed mismanagement at all..couch coaches always blame real coaching when things don't go well...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Give Tech players credits....

Their tall receivers made plays sometimes against double coverage and their QB threw well.
You're right, they did make some good plays. I was impressed with their receivers' ability to go up and get the ball. But Duffey is the leading passer in all of FBS so far this week. That's more about our defense being bad than their offense being good.

Nov 18, 2011
Because we realise we don't have the insite into the program in order to "acknowledge the mismanagement" or even comment on if it is indeed mismanagement at all..couch coaches always blame real coaching when things don't go well...
Just FYI, Football is not Rocket Science.