Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Oklahoma

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm done with SS...I would go with SI rest of season...I agree that you give the W to SI (tulsa)...SS is a TO machine, he's just an average QB...and a little birdie told me ALOT of players don't care for his prima donna attitude...I'll add one more to your chart - passer rating: SI 141.0, SS 137.5...is it weird that I miss Corn Dog?!
While I agree, it was clear that SI has some difficulties still to work on...but I do still think he is a very good future QB...He led us right down the field on his first series and looked like a savior and we scored ALL our points with him at the helm...that being said SS played pretty good on that last drive at the end of the game just couldn't cash anything in...Tech is going to be very very interesting.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
While I agree, it was clear that SI has some difficulties still to work on...but I do still think he is a very good future QB...He led us right down the field on his first series and looked like a savior and we scored ALL our points with him at the helm...that being said SS played pretty good on that last drive at the end of the game just couldn't cash anything in...Tech is going to be very very interesting.
Yeah, what happened with that? He came in and looked confident and solid, then fell apart after that. Bad play calls? O-line didn't give him time and he got happy feet?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Nice job of moving the goalposts.
I was just quoting what was posted...it said we are top 10 in that department...didn't move any goalpost as they weren't established...unless you are going to compare us to the best QB production of all teams in the entire nation...which is only slightly unfair goalpost in the first place...right?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yeah, what happened with that? He came in and looked confident and solid, then fell apart after that. Bad play calls? O-line didn't give him time and he got happy feet?
I THINK he had worked on one set of set plays maybe? It looked so locked in that first drive like he did vs Tulsa and then fizzled. Not sure why, but they may have been preparing him like a reliever in baseball for one or two series and not like a starter...that will need fixed moving forward, but if you can prepare the kid for an entire game and he preforms like those two drives then he's going to be golden...crazy how we can look so solid on some drives and so trash on others...that I assume is week to week coaching and needs corrected.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
At the rate this program is going.....only a matter of time til Chris Klieman starts beating us....notice we're no longer beating texas....We've lost 2 in a year.....We've lost to Texas Tech two years in a row....Matt Wells is 2-0 against Gundy. Matt Campbell struggles against Gundy...but has his team likely into the championship game. We're be in the alamo bowl or camping world...everyone will be happy and Gundy gets a raise. That dogshit bowl streak is meaningless considering 70 teams get to go to postseason games every year.
It's not meaningless when you used to regularly be part of the other 70 plus teams that don't make it every year. Being spoiled is just that...what if we go back to never beating ou AND never making bowls? That's what's possible and is indeed our history. Certainly we ALL want to beat ou, but it's just not in the cards more than one or twice a decade as long as they are this strong.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I also wonder how much of our issues on offense is QB coach?

Illingworth is the type of QB Gundy has had the most success with, drop back and deliver the pass quickly. That will help your offensive line with blocking. The problem with Sanders is that the offensive line never knows what he's going to do or where he's going to be. He needs to settle in, hold the pocket, and deliver the pass. Stop thinking everything is a QB scramble.

Feb 18, 2009
If OU, OSU, and ISU wins out. Who is making the championship game?

With ISU winning out, that makes Texas a 3 loss team, so they’re done.
Iowa State would only have one conference loss. So they’re in. OU now holds the tiebreaker over us as does Texas. We’re all but mathematically eliminated from even having a chance at this point. And everyone knew it going into the Texas game that we couldn’t have a slip up because of what Gundy does in bedlam every year.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I'm done with SS...I would go with SI rest of season...I agree that you give the W to SI (tulsa)...SS is a TO machine, he's just an average QB...and a little birdie told me ALOT of players don't care for his prima donna attitude...I'll add one more to your chart - passer rating: SI 141.0, SS 137.5...is it weird that I miss Corn Dog?!
You could see an energy difference when Illingworth came in. Sanders didn't want back in until he thought he could stat it up

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
It's not meaningless when you used to regularly be part of the other 70 plus teams that don't make it every year. Being spoiled is just that...what if we go back to never beating ou AND never making bowls? That's what's possible and is indeed our history. Certainly we ALL want to beat ou, but it's just not in the cards more than one or twice a decade as long as they are this strong.
LMAO!! Over half the FBS teams get to participate in a bowl. Requirement is 6-6, and some get in at 5-7 based on APR. Used to be 30-40 teams....now its a participation trophy. That dogshit bowl streak is meaningless. There's no pride in going to a bowl game unless it's a NY6 game or playoffs. Kids don't give a damn about a bowl streak....maybe old timers like yourself do...which is fine, but that doesn't sell to recruits, but I know what does....championships!!!

I don't know what you mean by what if??? We don't beat OU anyway period. Gundy won once in 2011, and Stoops gave him his 2nd. I highly doubt we go back to not going to bowl games considering what I just said...not that damn hard to become bowl eligible to begin. IMO it wouldn't be that hard to find a coach that can win 6 games per year...after all it's the cowboy standard for most fans. I get it...your one of those fans that's so comfortable with Gundy that you're okay with Gundy's record against bedlam and just happy to be bowl eligible....

Gundy has plateaued as the HC here....if you're okay with 6-8 wins...thats fine those are YOUR expectations. Me personally, I'd like to see more championships but that's just me. Not naive to the fact OU is king....but I also know rivalries aren't this traditionally lopsided. Alabama is the best in the state....but Auburn wins its fair share, as well as conference titles. I don't know what the future looks like w/out Gundy, but if it takes a couple losing season to find the right guy that can put us over the hump I'm game for it...because the guy at the helm currently isn't the guy, hasn't been the guy, and will never be the guy.

Apr 7, 2006
LMAO!! Over half the FBS teams get to participate in a bowl. Requirement is 6-6, and some get in at 5-7 based on APR. Used to be 30-40 teams....now its a participation trophy. That dogshit bowl streak is meaningless. There's no pride in going to a bowl game unless it's a NY6 game or playoffs. Kids don't give a damn about a bowl streak....maybe old timers like yourself do...which is fine, but that doesn't sell to recruits, but I know what does....championships!!!

I don't know what you mean by what if??? We don't beat OU anyway period. Gundy won once in 2011, and Stoops gave him his 2nd. I highly doubt we go back to not going to bowl games considering what I just said...not that damn hard to become bowl eligible to begin. IMO it wouldn't be that hard to find a coach that can win 6 games per year...after all it's the cowboy standard for most fans. I get it...your one of those fans that's so comfortable with Gundy that you're okay with Gundy's record against bedlam and just happy to be bowl eligible....

Gundy has plateaued as the HC here....if you're okay with 6-8 wins...thats fine those are YOUR expectations. Me personally, I'd like to see more championships but that's just me. Not naive to the fact OU is king....but I also know rivalries aren't this traditionally lopsided. Alabama is the best in the state....but Auburn wins its fair share, as well as conference titles. I don't know what the future looks like w/out Gundy, but if it takes a couple losing season to find the right guy that can put us over the hump I'm game for it...because the guy at the helm currently isn't the guy, hasn't been the guy, and will never be the guy.
So the guy that took us to the Fiesta Bowl and arguably should've been the championship game (and won National Coach of the Year) was the wrong guy? I understand people are frustrated (and for good reason) but it isn't necessary to use revisionist history to justify why you believe he's no longer good. It's fine to say that he's been good, but moving backward or no longer improving or not earning his salary. It doesn't need to be all or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.