Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Oklahoma

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Now we move to conspiracies. What a sorry-ass take. All schools could make the same argument. It is so pathetic to even go there. They are flat out better than we are. Admit it and move on. Gundy can't fix it so it's up to the university to do so.
No one can..."fix it." It's a HUGE college football wide blue blood history/production/system problem. It is NOT a conspiracy anymore than the fact that the USA and China are both world leaders in trade and production and it takes a huge shift in reality to change that. Until we can put 85K plus in our stadium...max out our revenue...get a LONG history of success...we aren't going to consistently recruit with the blue bloods. It's just the lay of the land and without seismic disruption by the ncaa or some other higher power like congress it's not going to change. Hate to break it too you but the big boys are big boys and the entrance fee isn't affordable for us....until something from outside our own will and ability changes that. It's true that Boone got us to the starting blocks and past a bunch of people who aren't there, but we still are way behind the big boys...as is everyone else.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2012
3 of our last 4 wins against OU came with baseball players at Qb.

Fields and Weeden

Maybe there is something to that

Maybe we need someone at Qb that grew up outside the football culture.

Initially I was just trying to be funny, but here’s my knock/concern about Gundy:

Why can’t a guy that played QB at pretty high level, recruit and develop better QB’s?

That said, Weeden wasn’t recruited. But neither were Mayfield, Murray, or Hurts.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So then how do these sub-gundy coaches find ways to occasionally beat ou?
They don't...anymore than he does anyway...did you not read the results of teams vs ou in the last 16 years? If you want to say one more win then ok, but I'm telling you 2013 was robbery and a few others were OT or one point losses. Other than Texas we have been more competitive with ou than just about anyone in the conference. You are focused on this one game against a team that has a deck with five aces in it.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
The best thing in the world would be beating OU and getting to watch the liberal OSU fans having to put up with Gundy. The second best thing in the world is losing to OU and getting to watch the liberal OSU fans having to put up with Gundy. It’s GOLD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We can try to make this about ppl not liking gundy as a person but that is just deflecting from an awful performance. They beat us like we were a group of 5 school. The team looked unprepared and scared. It was a major mistake to hand the offense to Dunn who had not called plays he basically is learning on the job. So why do that this year when you have one of the best teams talent wise that you have ever had? We need someone who can recruit here.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Initially I was just trying to be funny, but here’s my knock/concern about Gundy:

Why can’t a guy that played QB at pretty high level, recruit and develop better QB’s?

That said, Weeden wasn’t recruited. But neither were Mayfield, Murray, or Hurts.
Once again comparing us or anyone in our conference to them is a bad comparison and we and they are always going to lose. The FACT is that in 16 years Gundy as put three QB's in the NFL (Robinson, Weeden, Rudolph)...So basically a four year starter, a two year starter, and a four year starter. That makes up 10 years of his 16 year tenure so far that he's "produced" NFL caliber Qb's.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We can try to make this about ppl not liking gundy as a person but that is just deflecting from an awful performance. They beat us like we were a group of 5 school. The team looked unprepared and scared. It was a major mistake to hand the offense to Dunn who had not called plays he basically is learning on the job. So why do that this year when you have one of the best teams talent wise that you have ever had? We need someone who can recruit here.
I don't disagree with the recruiting...but who do you think could do that and consistently produce as Gundy has AND beat ou like Texas does (best in the league during Gundy tenure, which is only 6 out of 16 tries)?

Replacing Gundy will happen once he decides to hang up the whistle...I'm concerned we will likely flounder when that happens rather than improve....just based on historic performance and where we are in the grand scheme of things currently. How do you get kids excited about a little rural town in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma without as much as an airport (hope AA starts flying direct to DFW again)? Btw, the way you do it is the way Gundy has...uniforms, facilities, tailgating, gameday environment. Produce and celebrate the NFL players...What's missing? More fans? More excitement?

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I guess this one was bad enough that even @RxCowboy said f it, no need for the Sunday morning coaches thread.
Was wondering if he was going to waste his time with it or not.
It would look something like this: F’s around...except the FG kicker. He did a great job. Maybe the only position on the field where we have depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
They don't...anymore than he does anyway...did you not read the results of teams vs ou in the last 16 years? If you want to say one more win then ok, but I'm telling you 2013 was robbery and a few others were OT or one point losses. Other than Texas we have been more competitive with ou than just about anyone in the conference. You are focused on this one game against a team that has a deck with five aces in it.
Leach was 3-7 vs. OU ('05, '07, '09) which is a hell of a lot better than 2-14. By extrapolation, that would be 5-6 wins during Gundy's tenure which nobody in their right mind would object to.

And for the record,
Overall winning percentage counting the ties as a game but not a win or loss = 15.7% (18 of 115)
Overall winning percentage not counting the ties at all = 16.7% (18 of 108)
Overall "not losing" percentage = 21.7% (25 of 115)
Gundy's record = 12.5% (2 of 16)

As bad as OSU football was before Gundy took over, OSU actually figured out ways to beat OU more frequently. Marginally, but still more. In fact, one more Gundy win would have put him right about even in the overall record.

Aug 16, 2012
Once again comparing us or anyone in our conference to them is a bad comparison and we and they are always going to lose. The FACT is that in 16 years Gundy as put three QB's in the NFL (Robinson, Weeden, Rudolph)...So basically a four year starter, a two year starter, and a four year starter. That makes up 10 years of his 16 year tenure so far that he's "produced" NFL caliber Qb's.
Yeah, not sure you want to go there.

Aug 26, 2004
I agree that maybe it is time for Coach Gundy to probably move on. No matter the new Coach, just don't expect much change in what has happened for the last 107 years. Take a look at the records for each year.

I would expect it to be similar for the next 107 years unfortunately. That is just the way it is.

What I would hope to see is less arrogance, less negative attention, more openness to local radio and television media. (We need their support). Spend a few dollars on a committee to see what would draw 5 star recruits in. Sounds crazy but municipalities and businesses do this kind of thing all the time.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/index.html

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yeah, not sure you want to go there.
How so? Pick anyone but ou in conference and compare and tell me who has done better...honestly I don't know...enlighten me on who's done better in terms of getting QB's drafted in the NFL..I'll remind you that in 10 of his 16 years we had NFL drafted QB's running the offense. Each lasting well over a year in the league.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I agree that maybe it is time for Coach Gundy to probably move on. No matter the new Coach, just don't expect much change in what has happened for the last 107 years. Take a look at the records for each year.

I would expect it to be similar for the next 107 years unfortunately. That is just the way it is.

What I would hope to see is less arrogance, less negative attention, more openness to local radio and television media. (We need their support). Spend a few dollars on a committee to see what would draw 5 star recruits in. Sounds crazy but municipalities and businesses do this kind of thing all the time.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/index.html
I agree we need their support but the local sports media is NOT on our side. In fact, they are hostile to our cause because they rightly see it as a challenge to the chosen one.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Leach was 3-7 vs. OU ('05, '07, '09) which is a hell of a lot better than 2-14. By extrapolation, that would be 5-6 wins during Gundy's tenure which nobody in their right mind would object to.

And for the record,
Overall winning percentage counting the ties as a game but not a win or loss = 15.7% (18 of 115)
Overall winning percentage not counting the ties at all = 16.7% (18 of 108)
Overall "not losing" percentage = 21.7% (25 of 115)
Gundy's record = 12.5% (2 of 16)

As bad as OSU football was before Gundy took over, OSU actually figured out ways to beat OU more frequently. Marginally, but still more. In fact, one more Gundy win would have put him right about even in the overall record.
2013 was robbed from us...we lost by one as we went for 2 with Corndog...we lost in OT in Norman one other time. It's been really close most of the time...sans past few years where we have digressed in the series. Certainly we need to fix that...but we can't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

I think he's got a pretty good track record with QB's. It all starts with an O-line that can protect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.