Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Oklahoma

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Again....they were not even Power 5 when they entered the conference

Nor did they have a Boone Pickens

Using TCU and the obstacles they've overcome, Baylor, Snyder, Campbell etc... is to show that others have done as much, or close to as much, with less than Gundy has at OSU.

Gundy was handed way more than these people/programs.
We needed Boone Pickens because we didn't have much else...TCU has lots of Boone Jr's. It's in a county that has nearly as many people as our entire state. This opinion of many of our posters that Boone put us over the finish line when he simply put us on the starting blocks is a regionalist(i.e. dare I say bumpkin) fallacy.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Just a few facts...

Mike Leach vs Mike Gundy...Gundy 3, Leach 2...we are 21 and 23 vs Tech over history with the Gundy tenure being the difference or it's one sided for Tech...Pre Gundy we were 10 wins to 18 wins for Tech.

Matt Campbell is a good coach with a losing record vs Mike Gundy teams are 4 and 1 so far vs Matt Campbell...Matt's a great coach, but Mike's not going to lose to ISU consistently.
Art Briles was an amazing recruiter of rapist and scumbags...their program should have received a harsher penalty, but instead they have been allowed to build off of cheating...we should not speak of him here.
So then how do these sub-gundy coaches find ways to occasionally beat ou?

Aug 16, 2012
@OSUinTX, look at our results since 2011
FOUR 10 wins seasons
NINE bowls in a row...five bowl victories vs three bowl losses
Dude, it's our best 8/9 years in our history. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.
Dude, you still do not get the point but I am going to play along one last time.

10 wins in the B12 does not mean anything on the national stage if you never take it to the next level. Gundy will never take us to the next level again. Got there once in his tenure of what? 16 years?

And the bowls? I have a saying...if it is not on New Year's Day (or the equivalent now since networks have mixed them all up)...who....cares? 70+ teams every year make it to a bowl now. That benchmark means nothing anymore.

Aug 16, 2012
Just a few facts...

Mike Leach vs Mike Gundy...Gundy 3, Leach 2...we are 21 and 23 vs Tech over history with the Gundy tenure being the difference or it's one sided for Tech...Pre Gundy we were 10 wins to 18 wins for Tech.

Matt Campbell is a good coach with a losing record vs Mike Gundy teams are 4 and 1 so far vs Matt Campbell...Matt's a great coach, but Mike's not going to lose to ISU consistently.

Art Briles was an amazing recruiter of rapist and scumbags...their program should have received a harsher penalty, but instead they have been allowed to build off of cheating...we should not speak of him here.
You do not get it. You cannot get past the historical and head-to-head aspects which are not the problem, nor what is being discussed.

Nov 14, 2010
That’s what they said, and keep saying, in Austin, Lincoln, Tallahassee, Ann Arbor, College Station, Knoxville, Miami, Los Angeles, Columbia, Columbia, Fayetteville, Tempe, Tucson, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 of those programs we have played recently and lost to

Texas 2 years in a row

We lost to Nebraska last time we played them

USC was hit by probation and Nebraskas issues are that they jumped conferences

You can always pick a handful of under achievers in any sport profession etc....

Theres 0 meaning to it

OU fired Gibbs, then Blake to get to Stoops

I'll bet they're glad they did

To compare an under achieving Blue Blood program to OSU is competely irrelevant.

Last edited:
It’s time for Mike to pull a Stoops and just retire. He can do it with the dignity of being the winningest coach in school history and still be held up in a ring of honor.
Look back a couple of years and nothing today should surprise anyone. His press conference on signing day was all about praise for the punter. Out of all of the kids they signed that day he couldn’t stop talking about our Australian punter. I remember listening that day and thinking we are in serious trouble down the road.
Here we are down the road. Does anybody believe Spencer is any better today than he was the first time he stepped on the field? I think the same can be said about Rudolph. Was he any better when he left than the night he stepped on the field in Norman in the rain?
Gundy showed how much fight he has left last night when he punted in the fourth quarter. How can any other coach or player on this team agree with that call? The guy is content with making a bowl every year and understanding he is supposed to lose bedlam every year.
The difficult part is 75% of the fans are not in the stands this year. How many will return? I dropped mine several years ago when he extorted the program for more money by interviewing with Baylor. After the Tennessee debacle that was the last straw for me.
We are paying a top ten salary for a guy who is content finishing in the top 30 every year. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when he came home and told his wife I’m only going to make 4 mil this year instead of 5. We are really going to have to watch our expenses.

Nov 14, 2010
We needed Boone Pickens because we didn't have much else...TCU has lots of Boone Jr's. It's in a county that has nearly as many people as our entire state. This opinion of many of our posters that Boone put us over the finish line when he simply put us on the starting blocks is a regionalist(i.e. dare I say bumpkin) fallacy.
You really dont think Boones money gave us a head start on Baylor and TCU?

Especially considering that TCU wasn't even Power 5 and Baylor was one of the worst programs in the NCAA

Nov 14, 2010
Patterson has done great things for TCU. But since putting on the big boy pants, he’s gone 42-37 in conference with 5 (6 if he loses to us this year) losing seasons. During that same time frame, Gundy is 48-30 with 2 losing seasons.

Using TCU as an example of doing as much or more with less is silly.

Well....here you go
Since 2014 any and all OSU fans would absolutely take TCU's results over OSU's

In that time period they have won a Conference championship and played in the Championship game as well.

OSU has averaged 8.8 wins during that time, while TCU has averaged 8.7 wins.

Both OSU and TCU have averaged finishing 4th in the conference during that time.

If, since 2014, Gundy had won a Big 12 title, then played in the title game as well in another year, OSU fans would be doing cartwheels

Nov 14, 2010
It’s all about QB’s.

Our best Sooner killer played pro baseball and the only QB to mash OU is now making awkward TV commercials with Jason White.
3 of our last 4 wins against OU came with baseball players at Qb.

Fields and Weeden

Maybe there is something to that

Maybe we need someone at Qb that grew up outside the football culture.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
So then how do these sub-gundy coaches find ways to occasionally beat ou?
They play OU early in the season when they are still trying to figure things out. Almost all these wins against OU happen in late sept./early oct. They rarely lose in November. Our game is always their final hurdle to the conference championship game which then sets them up for the playoffs. They use that as motivation. Gundy acts like it's no different than playing ISU on October 3rd.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
Hate to break it to you...but no one is..UNTIL the NCAA get's the balls to break up the monopolies that are the Blue Blood teams...They have more revenue, more fans, more tradition and more ways to stack rules committees and conference front offices. They have built in advantages that we, and the rest of the conference sans Texas, don't have. It's not about the head coach, it's about the system of college football. It's damned frustrating and has been my entire life...it's not just us, that's important to remember...everyone else in the conference not named Texas has basically the same or worse issues with ou. Just one example from last night...do you think ou gets that call reversed of the "interception" in the first quarter, if the shoe is on the other foot? I do, and in spades...harken back through the years...how many times have they gotten key reversals or key calls or blatant no calls that highly influenced Bedlam?
I'll start just a small list and others can add if they wish...

1988 G Limbrick call
2013 Interception reversed that would have sealed the game
2017 or was it 2015 reversed our defensive touchdown that would have put us up two or three scores

If this list isn't enough..start a list of Texas calls...in each of these two games we have suffered from this syndrome that plagues the conference. An in-depth study needs to be done of truly game changing penalties and, more importantly, no calls... over the course of conference history.
Now we move to conspiracies. What a sorry-ass take. All schools could make the same argument. It is so pathetic to even go there. They are flat out better than we are. Admit it and move on. Gundy can't fix it so it's up to the university to do so.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
That’s what they said, and keep saying, in Austin, Lincoln, Tallahassee, Ann Arbor, College Station, Knoxville, Miami, Los Angeles, Columbia, Columbia, Fayetteville, Tempe, Tucson, etc...

3 of those programs we have played recently and lost to

Texas 2 years in a row

We lost to Nebraska last time we played them

USC was hit by probation and Nebraskas issues are that they jumped conferences

You can always pick a handful of under achievers in any sport profession etc....

Theres 0 meaning to it

OU fired Gibbs, then Blake to get to Stoops

I'll bet they're glad they did

To compare an under achieving Blue Blood program to OSU is competely irrelevant.
I guess I have to spell it out.
All those P5 programs have resources and are on a merry-go-round of coaches. Their fans want to compete for championships, but can’t settle on a coach, rarely get even close to a championship, many endure losing or .500 seasons with no real hope in sight for what you claim is success.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Now we move to conspiracies. What a sorry-ass take. All schools could make the same argument. It is so pathetic to even go there. They are flat out better than we are. Admit it and move on. Gundy can't fix it so it's up to the university to do so.
is it that he can’t or just won’t. He is known for being bullheaded and he has no impetus to do anything different so you are absolutely right. It’s up to the University.

Status
Not open for further replies.