Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Oklahoma

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2007
Can someone pull up every teams wins losses vs OU over the last 16 years
I looked this up a few weeks ago. I don't have the overall records in front of me but, Texas, K-State, Baylor, Texas A&M, & TCU all have a better winning percentage against OU than us during the Gundy era.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Don’t know, I’m not that smart. I just see many programs with more history and resources than OSU that spin their wheels year after year and never get meaningfully better. (Mich, Neb, aTm, UT, PSU, Miami, Tenn, USC, FSU, etc..) We’ll probably finish 8-2 which will be no worse than 1 game behind the eventual champion. If you get rid of a very successful coach chasing improvement, history says you probably won’t get it. I wish there was a way to get better I could count on. Just not willing risk what we have for unlikely lasting improvement.

Yeah, I know. There will be many if not most that would gladly ditch Gundy even knowing there’s probably a small chance we’d get meaningfully better. They’ll say something like - nothing ventured, nothing gained. That is until we turn into a Nebraska.
A wise person once told me that you're always moving forward or falling behind, you're never standing still. For the first half of Coach Gundy's career, we were steadily moving forward. This culminated in 2011 where we were a few plays short of the national championship game. Since that point, we've been slowly falling behind. Our coaching staff & roster aren't as talented as they were back then. We've traded talent for consistency. That's provided success, but it's put a lower ceiling over the program.

I'm not calling for Coach Gundy's head. He's proven himself to be a quality coach. But I recognize that something has to change to shift the overall momentum of the program. We can't rest on our laurels if we ever want to go beyond where we've already been.
There may be another way to look at. To a large degree, you’re only as good as your QB. We need more talent at QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
2005 OU losses Texas TTU, TCU and UCLA OSU record: 4-7
2006 OU losses Oregon, Texas and Boise State OSU record: 7-6
2007 OU losses Colorado, TTU, and WVU OSU record: 7-6
2008 OU losses Texas, Florida OSU record: 9-4
2009 OU losses BYU, Miami, TTU, and Nebraska OSU record: 9-4
2010 OU losses Missouri, A&M OSU record: 11-2
2011 OU losses OSU, TTU and Baylor OSU record: 12-1
2012 OU losses KSU, Notre Dame, A&M OSU record: 8-5
2013 OU losses Texas, Baylor OSU record: 10-3
2014 OU losses OSU, TCU, KSU, Baylor, Clemson OSU record: 7-6
2015 OU losses Texas, Clemson OSU record: 10-3
2016 OU losses Houston, Ohio State OSU record: 10-3
2017 OU losses Iowa State, Georgia OSU record: 10-3
2018 OU losses Texas, Alabama OSU record: 7-6
2019 OU losses KSU, LSU OSU record: 8-5
2020 OU losses, KSU, Iowa State OSU record: 5-2 so far

Texas with 6 wins in 16 years has by far the most vs ou...next is 4 wins in 16 years for TTU under Leach when he owned stoops every other year...they haven't beaten them since 2011. Next is the strange KSU and Baylor 3 wins in 16 years. Also weird was that Gundy's record vs Leach was better than Stoops against Leach. One thing I didn't realize is that they (ou) haven't had less than a two loss season in Gundy's tenure. In fact our 2011 year was better than any year they have had in terms of wins/losses and finish since 2006.

That was fun actually. Interesting that the new coach at KSU seems to have Reilly's number and they aren't good...they are 0-2 vs Gundy.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Name 3

I can’t think of one.

Because you do not want to.

Here is the easy one...TCU. as many conference championships as we have during Gundy era.

Do your own research for others because anyone I throw out like UCF or USF (there are your three) you will just make subjective arguments as to how their situation is different.

Point is, OSU has plateaued under Gundy.

Oct 30, 2007
There may be another way to look at. To a large degree, you’re only as good as your QB. We need more talent at QB.
Since Rudolph:
2015: John Kolar
2016: Keondre Wudtee
2017: Jelani Woods
2018: Spencer Sanders
2019: Brendon Costello
2020: Shane Illingworth, Ethan Bullock, & Gunnar Gundy

I think that Sanders & Illingworth both have potential, but our batting average hasn't been very good over the past several years. We're going to be in big trouble if we have injuries. It all reflects back to recruiting.

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
It’s tough being an OSU fan. But Go POKES!

Gundy 100% peaked; however, we do not have the fame nor the money to find someone better than him.

This is what recruiting really means. UO was barely 80% today in terms of injuries/covid/and Opt-outs. UO depth chart is too deep. We just do not have the jimmy or Joe’s. This is by far the most humiliating Bedlam game I’ve seen.

We were ranked #6 at one point!

I 100% do not believe that Gundy is the answer to make this program elite. Not with Lincoln Riley as the UO head coach. I 100% do not have faith in Spencer Sanders or Chubba Hubbard. Best player on the field is Tylan Wallace and Harvey-Peel on defense.

I will always remain a loyal Cowboy fan but I am not delusional. Idk what or who the answer is, but it’s no longer Gundy. It really pains me to say that, because I’ve been the biggest Gundy supporter. I WANT this man to succeed but he can’t. Not with UO around. 2-15, dude. That’s wild.

Oct 29, 2016
US
It’s tough being an OSU fan. But Go POKES!

Gundy 100% peaked; however, we do not have the fame nor the money to find someone better than him.

This is what recruiting really means. UO was barely 80% today in terms of injuries/covid/and Opt-outs. UO depth chart is too deep. We just do not have the jimmy or Joe’s. This is by far the most humiliating Bedlam game I’ve seen.

We were ranked #6 at one point!

I 100% do not believe that Gundy is the answer to make this program elite. Not with Lincoln Riley as the UO head coach. I 100% do not have faith in Spencer Sanders or Chubba Hubbard. Best player on the field is Tylan Wallace and Harvey-Peel on defense.

I will always remain a loyal Cowboy fan but I am not delusional. Idk what or who the answer is, but it’s no longer Gundy. It really pains me to say that, because I’ve been the biggest Gundy supporter. I WANT this man to succeed but he can’t. Not with UO around. 2-15, dude. That’s wild.
I feel where you're coming from.. I respectfully disagree regarding Gundy. Before he was hired as the head coach, OSU was a disaster of a football program.. the 90's were absolutely brutal to witness. Couldn't win a game to save a life.

Ever since Gundy became head coact, he turned the dumpster fire of a football program with an average of 9 wins a season. Quite frankly, what Gundy has achieved far exceeded my expectations.. I very much enjoy the success of the football program thanks to Gundy. Better enjoy the success while Gundy is still head coach.. it won't last after he retires

It's no fun losing Bedlam, no doubt... but to proclaim he should be fired is ridiculous. When he retires, OSU will become a carousel of up-and-comers. OSU simply will never be an elite program, nor is Stillwater a legitimate destination for the best talent coming out of high school.

Who would you hire to replace Mike?

Last edited:

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
I feel where you're coming from.. I respectfully disagree regarding Gundy. Before he was hired as the head coach, OSU was a disaster of a football program.. the 90's were absolutely brutal to witness. Couldn't win a game to save a life.

Ever since Gundy became head coact, he turned the dumpster fire of a football program with an average of 9 wins a season. Quite frankly, what Gundy has achieved far exceeded my expectations.. I very much enjoy the success of the football program thanks to Gundy.

It's no fun losing Bedlam, no doubt... but to proclaim he should be fired is ridiculous. When he retires, OSU will become a carousel of up-and-comers. OSU simply will never be an elite program, nor is Stillwater a legitimate destination for the best talent coming out of high school.

Perhaps, I’m a little too worked up about this game. Let me be honest with myself. I don’t think he should be fired at all. I’m just saying that I don’t believe he could make us elite anymore. I mean...punting when you’re down 21 points in the 4th?

Many teams can not beat UO, we know this. But this was our year, man. UO had a down year. This was our time and we got embarrassed on national TV. Even if we were 100%, we’re still losing the game.

Anyways. I do not know. I’m glad it’s not up to me, but what anout Jim Harbargh from Michigan? Another man trash is another man’s treasure.

again, I do not think he should be fired, but Gundy has peaked. He’s a great coach and has put OSU on the map. But, he’s not going to be able to get championship conference wins without beating UO.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Can someone pull up every teams wins losses vs OU over the last 16 years
I looked this up a few weeks ago. I don't have the overall records in front of me but, Texas, K-State, Baylor, Texas A&M, & TCU all have a better winning percentage against OU than us during the Gundy era.
Percentage is not the same as wins. Not as lopsided as you are trying to make it. Other than Texas, most teams have very few wins against uo in the last 16 years.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 1, 2015
Tulsa

Ever since Gundy became head coact, he turned the dumpster fire of a football program with an average of 9 wins a season. Quite frankly, what Gundy has achieved far exceeded my expectations.. I very much enjoy the success of the football program thanks to Gundy. Better enjoy the success while Gundy is still head coach.. it won't last after he retires

Monken.

If Gundy truly loves OSU, he would do what Stoops did for OU. It's time to pass the torch after 15 years as head coach by handing the keys to a new voice to lead the program into the future. Someone that you can fully trust to takeover the team with a strong offensive mind to boot that is a must in this conference.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Name 3

I can’t think of one.

Here is the easy one...TCU. as many conference championships as we have during Gundy era.

Do your own research for others because anyone I throw out like UCF or USF (there are your three) you will just make subjective arguments as to how their situation is different.

Name 3

I can’t think of one.

TCU?

66-44 since joining B12. 5 losing seasons in conference play, 3 winning seasons. Will probably have a losing season again this year.

UCF and USF? Group of 5 team? Get out of here. You’d want to fire Gundy for their record anyway. UCF 4-3, USF 0-6

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Couple things...what's TCU's record vs OSU? What's Patterson's Record vs Gundy? What's Patterson's Record vs OU? I'm just saying...it's not just us and Gundy. They are the big 12 monopoly...with Texas also being in that mix. It's isn't pretty for anyone and we do better than anyone against everyone else..

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Perhaps, I’m a little too worked up about this game. Let me be honest with myself. I don’t think he should be fired at all. I’m just saying that I don’t believe he could make us elite anymore. I mean...punting when you’re down 21 points in the 4th?

Many teams can not beat UO, we know this. But this was our year, man. UO had a down year. This was our time and we got embarrassed on national TV. Even if we were 100%, we’re still losing the game.

Anyways. I do not know. I’m glad it’s not up to me, but what anout Jim Harbargh from Michigan? Another man trash is another man’s treasure.

again, I do not think he should be fired, but Gundy has peaked. He’s a great coach and has put OSU on the map. But, he’s not going to be able to get championship conference wins without beating UO.
Hate to break it to you...but no one is..UNTIL the NCAA get's the balls to break up the monopolies that are the Blue Blood teams...They have more revenue, more fans, more tradition and more ways to stack rules committees and conference front offices. They have built in advantages that we, and the rest of the conference sans Texas, don't have. It's not about the head coach, it's about the system of college football. It's damned frustrating and has been my entire life...it's not just us, that's important to remember...everyone else in the conference not named Texas has basically the same or worse issues with ou. Just one example from last night...do you think ou gets that call reversed of the "interception" in the first quarter, if the shoe is on the other foot? I do, and in spades...harken back through the years...how many times have they gotten key reversals or key calls or blatant no calls that highly influenced Bedlam?
I'll start just a small list and others can add if they wish...

1988 G Limbrick call
2013 Interception reversed that would have sealed the game
2017 or was it 2015 reversed our defensive touchdown that would have put us up two or three scores

If this list isn't enough..start a list of Texas calls...in each of these two games we have suffered from this syndrome that plagues the conference. An in-depth study needs to be done of truly game changing penalties and, more importantly, no calls... over the course of conference history.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
TCU?

66-44 since joining B12. 5 losing seasons in conference play, 3 winning seasons. Will probably have a losing season again this year.

UCF and USF? Group of 5 team? Get out of here. You’d want to fire Gundy for their record anyway. UCF 4-3, USF 0-6

Once again, you have difficulty staying on topic. This is not about the record of any of them or if I would trade coaches.

The point being made was that those teams, with their limited budget and facilities, have managed to put together a couple of seasons since 2011 where they were in the conference driver seat and national discussion. Since 2011, OSU has not. Definition of a plateau.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Couple things...what's TCU's record vs OSU? What's Patterson's Record vs Gundy? What's Patterson's Record vs OU? I'm just saying...it's not just us and Gundy. They are the big 12 monopoly...with Texas also being in that mix. It's isn't pretty for anyone and we do better than anyone against everyone else..
Damnit, what is it with nobody staying on topic?

The ONLY point is that those teams have managed to take lesser budgets and lesser facilities and break out of their traditional results to win their conference and make noise on the national scene upon occasion. The ONLY point. The OP was that it could not be done because we did not have the money, to which I replied that it could be done and gave examples of when it has been done. The reply at no point indicated the programs were better, the coaches were better, their food was better or their women more attractive. It was ONLY to illustrate that...

Oh fug it. if it has not caught on by now....

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Damnit, what is it with nobody staying on topic?

The ONLY point is that those teams have managed to take lesser budgets and lesser facilities and break out of their traditional results to win their conference and make noise on the national scene upon occasion. The ONLY point. The OP was that it could not be done because we did not have the money, to which I replied that it could be done and gave examples of when it has been done. The reply at no point indicated the programs were better, the coaches were better, their food was better or their women more attractive. It was ONLY to illustrate that...

Oh fug it. if it has not caught on by now....
Hate to break it to you but TCU and Baylor both have newer stadiums and similar budgets to us...they also have very very similar results over time. Oh, and you can think of them as lessor, but they BOTH have stronger recruiting territory and geography than we do.

Apr 7, 2006
College football looks nothing like the other sports since it's all built to sustain the success of about 10 teams to ensure revenue for TV, coaches, conferences, etc.

OSU will never do much better than what they have now in terms of sustained success. Some of the teams the system was built for can't do that (Texas) , so with zero TV or political power and a small fan base we aren't doing it. We just have to acknowledge that we're a small market team in professional-college football.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
TCU?

Once again, you have difficulty staying on topic. This is not about the record of any of them or if I would trade coaches.

The point being made was that those teams, with their limited budget and facilities, have managed to put together a couple of seasons since 2011 where they were in the conference driver seat and national discussion. Since 2011, OSU has not. Definition of a plateau.
No, that is my point. Nobody in their right mind would trade 5 or 6 losing seasons for a couple of competitive seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.