Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Iowa State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
He has happy feet because he has been instructed to only read 1 side of the field.

He's not allowed to progress to the other side of the field.

Many times, on certain plays he's not allowed to come off the 1 receiver he's been told to throw it to

So....
When the receivers he's been told to throw it to aren't open he is left with no options but to buy more time in hopes that receiver will get open or scramble.

I know that sounds hard to believe that coaches would do that to a kid, but that's the parameters he's being forced to play underneath.

His mistakes are when he gets frustrated with his parameters because nothing is open, and he forces a play.

The dude is an absolute beast of a competitor, he's a football junkie, he's extemely bright and uber talented.

Comsidering how he's being coached, it's somewhat amazing he's beem as successful as he has.

Moving forward he'll have 3 choices
Either lower his expectations of what he should be allowed to do and become and stay inside Gundy's box
Or....
Convince.Gundy to change this current offense to a read option RPO/Air Raid
Or....
Transfer

Schematics and style of play makes all the difference in the world for quarterbacks.

The one time he was allowed to ride a handoff, control a safety and throw the ball to Woods down the middle of the field he looked great.

The same way he would look great if the rest of our offense was set up to suit his skills.
Bullcrap. Sanders is failing to see the field. Coaches are NOT telling him to do that. He is locking in. What a bunch of horsecrap. I do think rolling the pocket at times can force him throw right but we dont do that alot. Spencer tendency is to lock on Wallace and cant blame him but Sanders main issue cant see the field well right now.

Nov 14, 2010
Bullcrap. Sanders is failing to see the field. Coaches are NOT telling him to do that. He is locking in. What a bunch of horsecrap. I do think rolling the pocket at times can force him throw right but we dont do that alot. Spencer tendency is to lock on Wallace and cant blame him but Sanders main issue cant see the field well right now.
I've already covered all this, given examples, answered the question as to how I know etc...

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Except that we won today and he only had one turnover...so why should we believe that it is the wrong thing to do with him, if that is even what they are doing, when he preformed much better today than he has since K-State?
Let's be honest, it should have been 3 interceptions (at least). Two of those were perfectly thrown balls right to the defensive players. They just dropped them. That doesn't register as a "much better performance".

We got lucky. I'll take it. Our defense stepped up when it was needed. Our defense didn't drop their interceptions when it mattered.

Winning is a great deodorant for all kinds of losing stink. But we still have work to do. We still need to beat KU, TCU, and WVU. Then if all goes well, we might have a punchers chance against OU.

Sep 21, 2019
Fargo
Im sure Gundy is real scared.
I agree we snuck out of their with one. The thing I will never understand is Gundy is horrible about putting players in position to win. That's the difference in great coaches and Gundy. Also is playing calling when we waste a timeout on 4th down and inches. He should be embarrassed on that. Plus when we are trying in put a game away to becomes horrible and calling plays. It's like 3rd and 4th grade flag football. He has become our Achilles hill.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I agree we snuck out of their with one. The thing I will never understand is Gundy is horrible about putting players in position to win. That's the difference in great coaches and Gundy. Also is playing calling when we waste a timeout on 4th down and inches. He should be embarrassed on that. Plus when we are trying in put a game away to becomes horrible and calling plays. It's like 3rd and 4th grade flag football. He has become our Achilles hill.
This. Why waste all the time outs and not even try for the first down? That’s the plan. That’s always the plan. Try to run the clock out. And it never works. The other team always seems to get the ball back with one last chance. I agree with the go for it play on fourth down, just don’t agree with the play call.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yeah....
I've covered that and have shown how that is a coaching issue.

But, I guess I can say it again, that those situatuions are squarely the coaches fault when they only allow him to work with one side of the field, make one read or only throw to one in particular receiver, and nothings available and he's not allowed to go through progressions to the other side of the field or to other receivers.

At that point, he's left with no options other than to give up and he's not going to give into that mentality the same way Mason refused to.

And, like Mason, I'm really glad we have a kid that is too competitive for that kind of coaching.

But....
You responded to the last post without answering the questions posed in it.

Which were....
You dont think he'd be better if we were running read option/RPO/Air Raid offense which he's ran his entire life?

You don't think he'd be better if we were running concepts that he's better at and more familiar with?

Well... I take that back.... You did answer those questions in your response.

In your own post, you just mentioned how we put in optiion plays and how it helped him.

So... you mention how ADDING option helped him. I'm glad you're starting to understand the point being made.

Which is...
Instead of subtracting scheme and limiting his options, he needs his coaches to ADD scheme he's good at.

He's either going to force Gundy to grow a pair, run the right offense or transfer.
We already run an RPO/Spread/read option offense to an extent...it's just been watered down due to his turnover issues...maybe they will open back up as he improves...plus it's easier to teach one guy your offense than 10 a new one.

You also admited that the coaches have adapted to him by agreeing with me that they have adapted to him.
Regarding Gundy, growing a pair, would have involved either benching him or limiting his mistakes...he has chosen limiting his mistakes which has resulted in a road win as a 10 point dog...Plus if the kid really wants to transfer because it's too hard to adapt or is uncoachable...then more power to him. Fortunately for us, I think the young man is hopefully more teachable and less volatile than that. Btw, my understanding is that the players love Gundy...it's just some of our "fans" that have issues.

Nov 14, 2010
We already run an RPO/Spread/read option offense to an extent...it's just been watered down due to his turnover issues...maybe they will open back up as he improves...plus it's easier to teach one guy your offense than 10 a new one.

You also admited that the coaches have adapted to him by agreeing with me that they have adapted to him.
Regarding Gundy, growing a pair, would have involved either benching him or limiting his mistakes...he has chosen limiting his mistakes which has resulted in a road win as a 10 point dog...Plus if the kid really wants to transfer because it's too hard to adapt or is uncoachable...then more power to him. Fortunately for us, I think the young man is hopefully more teachable and less volatile than that. Btw, my understanding is that the players love Gundy...it's just some of our "fans" that have issues.
Yeah....
And the times we've run scheme he's good at, he's looked good.

Again.... that's the point in all this

Thr RPO/read option/Air Raid hasn't been watered down because of turnovers. That's not what he has struggled with

It's watered down because Gundy is hell bent on running the offense he wants with tight ends fullbaxks etc... and it doesn't suit Sanders skills.

It's not about being volatile, uncoachable or any of the dramatic terms you used. It's about being in position to best succeed.

This is big business

Kylar Murray and Baker Mayfield just made millions of dollars getting themselves into the right situations.

If Gundy is too stubborn to adjust his offense to his talent then he deserves what he gets.

Jan 14, 2006
Yeah....
And the times we've run scheme he's good at, he's looked good.

Again.... that's the point in all this

Thr RPO/read option/Air Raid hasn't been watered down because of turnovers. That's not what he has struggled with

It's watered down because Gundy is hell bent on running the offense he wants with tight ends fullbaxks etc... and it doesn't suit Sanders skills.

It's not about being volatile, uncoachable or any of the dramatic terms you used. It's about being in position to best succeed.

This is big business

Kylar Murray and Baker Mayfield just made millions of dollars getting themselves into the right situations.

If Gundy is too stubborn to adjust his offense to his talent then he deserves what he gets.
I agree, Spencer has looked his best when we run turbo out of 4 wide. I also think there is a lot of value in being able to run 2te/fb sets with all of the big 12 defenses adapting to stop the spread. Hopefully we can get to the point where we can run both.

Nov 14, 2010
I agree, Spencer has looked his best when we run turbo out of 4 wide. I also think there is a lot of value in being able to run 2te/fb sets with all of the big 12 defenses adapting to stop the spread. Hopefully we can get to the point where we can run both.
That's what the Cowboy back is supposed to create for you because it's meant to be a guy like Blake Jarwin that can attatch as a tight end or detatch as a slot receiver

The Cowboy back position is meant to allow you to be able to get in and out of personnel packages without having to change out players.

He is the player that should create the conflict for the defense in terms of matchups.

Auburn, OU and the Art Briles Baylor teams do this exact thing the best