Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Baylor

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Taylor Cornelius is #27 in the country in passing efficiency. Alan Bowman of Texas Tech is #26. That puts TC at #4 in the conference. The problem is we're about to face:

1. Kyler Murray
3. Will Grier

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
We have the right coach in place...we need more fans...it's been our problem forever and continues to be. we have solved the facilities issues and the coaches salary/turnover problems...going back to the old bag of coaching change isn't the answer at this point it time. The AD started serving beer and instituted a no re-entry policy in a rebuilding year...why? He knows our problem is lack of fans and the revenue produced by them. He's trying to milk revenue out of a tired Cow...Hopefully he knows that she can't go on the auto-milker twice daily or Betsy is going to dry up and no amount of Udder Balm is going to fix the problem.
I’ve yet to see a single fan miss a tackle, get a punt blocked, call a stupid play on 4th down, overthrow a pass or anything else going on down on the field. I’m pretty sure the fans aren’t the problem. But I could be wrong seeing as I’m unemployed and behind on my house payments.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I’ve yet to see a single fan miss a tackle, get a punt blocked, call a stupid play on 4th down, overthrow a pass or anything else going on down on the field. I’m pretty sure the fans aren’t the problem. But I could be wrong seeing as I’m unemployed and behind on my house payments.
Fans are the source of revenue, bra, and we are 40th in the country. Want better athletes and coaches? It has to be paid for somehow. Yet our fans whine about ticket prices and fail to sell out our beautiful stadium.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Fans are the source of revenue, bra, and we are 40th in the country. Want better athletes and coaches? It has to be paid for somehow. Yet our fans whine about ticket prices and fail to sell out our beautiful stadium.
Fan shaming. How original. I'm sure that will really motivate people to fill the stadium!

You know what actually fills the stadium? Winning games. We've lost the majority of our home conference games in the last two years. You know - the ones we need to win in order to compete for conference championships. People are tired of seeing the potential get squandered due to our selfish head coach that's more interested in his hair products and air time with ESPN than he is about his team's play on Saturdays. At the very least - he's more interested in his own salary than in making OSU a competitive program.

Here's why I think that.
He's leveraged his position multiple times to get raises, including flirting with other HC jobs.
He hired a DIII coordinator, because he was tired of looking for coordinators every few years (despite the success we had with that approach)
He's an extremely lazy / defeatist recruiter.
He's whiffed on O-line coaches repeatedly.
He is a terrible game manager.
He seems genuinely more excited about self promotion than he is about OSU football.

Simply put - he's selfish, and its negatively impacted our program.

Could we find someone better? Maybe. But it would be a huge risk. My best case scenario is that Gundy suddenly realizes his faults/weaknesses, and does whatever is necessary to help the program. But I'm doubtful that will happen without Holder's intervention.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Fan shaming. How original. I'm sure that will really motivate people to fill the stadium!

You know what actually fills the stadium? Winning games. We've lost the majority of our home conference games in the last two years. You know - the ones we need to win in order to compete for conference championships. People are tired of seeing the potential get squandered due to our selfish head coach that's more interested in his hair products and air time with ESPN than he is about his team's play on Saturdays. At the very least - he's more interested in his own salary than in making OSU a competitive program.

Here's why I think that.
He's leveraged his position multiple times to get raises, including flirting with other HC jobs.
He hired a DIII coordinator, because he was tired of looking for coordinators every few years (despite the success we had with that approach)
He's an extremely lazy / defeatist recruiter.
He's whiffed on O-line coaches repeatedly.
He is a terrible game manager.
He seems genuinely more excited about self promotion than he is about OSU football.

Simply put - he's selfish, and its negatively impacted our program.

Could we find someone better? Maybe. But it would be a huge risk. My best case scenario is that Gundy suddenly realizes his faults/weaknesses, and does whatever is necessary to help the program. But I'm doubtful that will happen without Holder's intervention.
Not "fan shaming" just stating facts. I've heard people b*tch about ticket prices here for years. We had a capacity of 60,218 until 2017, our official attendance for Bedlam in 2011 was 58,141. Fans are our source of revenue. If we're going to compete with the blue bloods that's where it has to come from.

I agree with you on the o-line coaches and recruiting. I think he's hired some o-line coaches that can coach, but we are paying for the recruiting whiffs this year and have said so multiple times. That's on Gundy.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Not "fan shaming" just stating facts. I've heard people b*tch about ticket prices here for years. We had a capacity of 60,218 until 2017, our official attendance for Bedlam in 2011 was 58,141. Fans are our source of revenue. If we're going to compete with the blue bloods that's where it has to come from.

I agree with you on the o-line coaches and recruiting. I think he's hired some o-line coaches that can coach, but we are paying for the recruiting whiffs this year and have said so multiple times. That's on Gundy.
Not to jump the gun, here, but let's compare what Boynton is doing to what Gundy is doing. Boynton hasn't set the world on fire with his W-L record, but he's generated excitement nonetheless. People see a coach that cares and is investing time to make us better. He's shooting for the stars. He's taking risks. He's going for it. The results aren't in yet, and they won't be for a season or two. But he's still generating enough excitement and hope that people are buying in.

You can't just expect people to buy in. Its an investment by the fans. They expect a return. In this case, Boynton has given people enough reasons to invest.

Gundy is doing the opposite. He's giving them reasons to bail. Not that they should bail, but Gundy isn't helping the longterm future of OSU football with his salary, off the field antics, refusal to accept valid criticisms, failures in recruiting, failures in hiring quality assistants, and his most recent one - bedowngrading the very fans that he's expecting to pony up thousands of dollars to support his program. He's creating a lack of confidence, which doesn't bode well for investors.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
We started endowing athletic scholarships several years ago. Every single scholarship that gets endowed frees up extra revenue in the budget. That should help a little bit. What really has to happen to compete with the big boys is to build an upper level of seats to BPS.

Adding a 3rd level to BPS may sound like a pipe-dream, but it's been in the long term plans for quite awhile. I heard that they prepared the foundation to support a 3rd level whenever they renovated the stadium. The tough thing is getting the demand up to a point where it's justified to add 20-25K more seats to the stadium. We aren't filling it consistently now.

I hope we see that dream realized some day. We just have to keep pushing forward and hope for the best.
In the meantime, how do we go about continuing to upgrade our existing facilities. The early renovations are now nearly 10 years old and aren’t going to look new forever. Where is that money going to come from? OU has done 2 major expansions in the last 10 years.
Yet ou still has that dark pit of doom known as the LNC.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010
Not to jump the gun, here, but let's compare what Boynton is doing to what Gundy is doing. Boynton hasn't set the world on fire with his W-L record, but he's generated excitement nonetheless. People see a coach that cares and is investing time to make us better. He's shooting for the stars. He's taking risks. He's going for it. The results aren't in yet, and they won't be for a season or two. But he's still generating enough excitement and hope that people are buying in.

You can't just expect people to buy in. Its an investment by the fans. They expect a return. In this case, Boynton has given people enough reasons to invest.

Gundy is doing the opposite. He's giving them reasons to bail. Not that they should bail, but Gundy isn't helping the longterm future of OSU football with his salary, off the field antics, refusal to accept valid criticisms, failures in recruiting, failures in hiring quality assistants, and his most recent one - bedowngrading the very fans that he's expecting to pony up thousands of dollars to support his program. He's creating a lack of confidence, which doesn't bode well for investors.
Great post!

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

So, how do you explain not selling out in 2011, our best season since 1945? Gundy doing the opposite somehow then? Fans not getting a return then? Gundy giving them reason to bail then?

You are so full of crap there isn't enough Golytely on the planet to purge it. I'm done with you.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
So, how do you explain not selling out in 2011, our best season since 1945? Gundy doing the opposite somehow then? Fans not getting a return then? Gundy giving them reason to bail then?

You are so full of crap there isn't enough Golytely on the planet to purge it. I'm done with you.
Whoa. Youve gone full AV on us!

But back to the discussion. Building confidence takes time, especially with such a large group of people and such a large investment as buying season tickets for football. Basketball is different, and I recognize that.

But why is a sellout your criteria? It's an arbitrary number. I can guarantee that if fans had confidence that a similar season (to 2011) was around the corner, we'd be sold out already. But that hasn't happened. Gundy went cheap, performance suffered, fans noticed, and we haven't recovered. And we won't recover until we hire a more legit staff. That said, we dont really know what we have with Knowles.