Official Game Thread: Iowa State vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
I heard some interesting discussion on the radio today. RA said that looking back at game film, it's clear that Iowa State knew whether or not the upcoming plays were pass or run. Well it turns out that Iowa State hired a GA this offseason that was here last year. It looks like they may have been stealing our signals.

I know everything is fair as long it isn't against the rules. You have to change things up whenever you're facing a former coach. But this still leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I heard some interesting discussion on the radio today. RA said that looking back at game film, it's clear that Iowa State knew whether or not the upcoming plays were pass or run. Well it turns out that Iowa State hired a GA this offseason that was here last year. It looks like they may have been stealing our signals.

I know everything is fair as long it isn't against the rules. You have to change things up whenever you're facing a former coach. But this still leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth.
We should be able to out talent Iowa state even if they knew every play we ran.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater

If we aren't smart enough to change our signals or our coaches aren't paying enough attention to notice a pre-snap tell, then we have MAJOR MAJOR problems

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis

If that is true...man, oh man.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA

You don't have to steal signals when the opponent's offense is so predictable that alignment itself gives the play away.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
There's 3 years of film of the exact same offense also, not that difficult to know our tendencies. Probably over half of the osu fans know what the next play is also just because they have watched the same plays.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010
If that is true...man, oh man.
Whether they are stealing signals or not, this shows how antiquated our offensive scheme is.

Every play should have a run AND a pass attached to it.

Meaning, you ride a run, then read a safety. If he bails you hand it off, but if he drives on the run you pull it and throw to a hot receiver.

If they have rolled coverage that means they are leaving another receiver singled up on the other side. That means you run your MAN beaters to that side.

So, if they roll coverage, then the QB either pulls and runs and/or he hits the singled up receiver that ran a man beater route combo and will be open

In fact, I want the other team to know what we're getting ready to do because then I know how they're going to react and, as a coach, I can better instruct the QB as to which option to choose when he is reading his RPO keys.

This kind of scheme is what everyone in the league is doing EXCEPT us and it's also why our line looks so bad.

It's also why we ended up with Jim Knowles because our offensive coaches don't understand this type of open ended RPO style of scheme.

So, when they grease boarded him in his interview none of it was about this type of scheme.

Our offensive coaches lack of knowledge of the RPO system has made it impossible for our defenses to prepare because we don't have guys that know how to scheme it for the scout team.

If they did, they would be lighting our defense up with guys like Spencer Sanders on the scout team, and that would make them realize how good that offense is and we would be running it.

Last edited: