Official Game Thread: Iowa State vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
Now that's more like it, Cowboys.

I'd love to say we have another bounce-back game coming up to figure things out for the gauntlet to come, but we all know who's coming to town: Iowa State. You know, that team that likes to jump out to a major lead on us? It's kind of an Iowa State tradition.

And after what Tech managed to do with a big lead, this team won't be taking a fast start for granted. After all, we seem to like introducing back up quarterbacks to the world. Plus, it looks like the visitors might be bringing some weather befitting their mascot to Stillwater with them. Good. Let's make this a slug-fest, and re-introduce Iowa State to some Justice.

Go Pokes! Beat the Cyclones!

Iowa State University Cyclones vs. Oklahoma State University Cowboys
Kickoff: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 2:30 CDT
at Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK

2018 Records
OSU 4-1(1-1), ISU 1-3 (0-2)
OSU leads the series, 31-18-3
TV: ESPN2
Suddenlink: 36/236
Cox: 28
DirecTV: 209
DiSH: 143

Radio:
Cowboy Radio Network (93.7 FM)
Sirius 83, XM 83, Internet 83

Listen Online

OSU Roster

OSU Game Notes

ISU Roster

ISU Game Notes

Nov 2, 2009
Iowa Hill Country
We'll blow a lead in the 4th quarter. It's what we do, and seemingly will for forever as some kind of slow agonizing payback for 2011.

I would imagine you'll convert at least 5 crucial 3rd and 20+s, because that's how this goes.

fify

I spent my first year in college in Iowa. It was the coldest I've ever been, even colder than Ohio. It's the only time I've ever walked across a frozen body of water and that was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.
Pussy.

I'm just breaking your balls, but it blows my mind to see someone cite that among their most traumatic experiences.

Also, everyone from anywhere south of Iowa (especially around the Big 12) greatly exaggerates the cold. It's cold 3 months a year, and anymore you're liable to have significant thaws in any of those traditional cold months. Plus, it gets hot and humid as hell in the summer. You want cold? I have family in Winnipeg. Winnipeg is cold. Iowa's child's play by comparison.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper and Bill Haisten...

Top storyline

Which running back runs best?

With Oklahoma's Rodney Anderson out for the season, there should be little debate that the top two running backs in the Big 12 this year will be on opposing sidelines in Stillwater on Saturday (perhaps only Kansas wunderkind Pooka Williams could make an argument). Justice Hill leads the Big 12 with 577 rushing yards, but it's his 7.5 yards-per-carry average that jumps off the page. OSU will want to give him the ball 25 times. Iowa State's David Montgomery is battling injury, but has still produced back-to-back 100-yard performances.

Key matchup

Iowa State's offensive line vs. Jordan Brailford and Co.

Quarterback Zeb Noland impressed against OSU last season in relief, throwing for 263 yards and nearly helping Iowa State win. He and the Cyclones' offensive line will have their hands full Saturday, though. With 24 sacks through five games, Oklahoma State is already more than halfway to a school record. Jordan Brailford should get some opportunities to add to his nation-leading seven sacks.

Player to watch

Enoch Smith

The senior defensive tackle can play out the rest of his final season as a starter, replacing injured Darrion Daniels. The last time this happened, when Daniels missed the final three games of last season, Smith seized the moment. In that brief glimpse of increased playing time, Smith recorded 3.5 tackles for loss in three starts. He'll be an important part of stuffing Montgomery and the Iowa State run game Saturday.

Who wins and why?

Biggest key: Hill's involvement

From Bill Haisten: Running back Justice Hill is Oklahoma State's best player. When the Cowboys lost to Texas Tech, he had only 12 rushing attempts. During last week's 20-point win at Kansas, he carried 31 times for 189 yards. Do Mike Gundy and Mike Yurcich continue with a heavier workload for the junior from Tulsa? When Hill is utilized as the best player on the Cowboy roster, nothing but good can come from it. If his involvement is as it should be, OSU wins 31-27 over Iowa State.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
fify

I spent my first year in college in Iowa. It was the coldest I've ever been, even colder than Ohio. It's the only time I've ever walked across a frozen body of water and that was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.
Try driving on it next time. First time I ever went ice fishing, my buddy who was an Iowa native took my out and when we pulled up to the lake, I assumed we'd park in the lot, but he just kept on driving right down the boat ramp and out onto the lake. I got over my fear once I got the auger out and saw that the ice was 3+ feet thick.

I lived up there for 8 years after living in OKC, Tulsa and Atlanta all my life. The cold grows on you, and the spring, summer and fall (which are all really nice) make it worth it. Now that I'm back in OK and it's almost 90 degrees with insane humidity in the first week of October, I find myself missing it.

IMO, you'll also never meet nicer people.

Pussy.

I'm just breaking your balls, but it blows my mind to see someone cite that among their most traumatic experiences.

Also, everyone from anywhere south of Iowa (especially around the Big 12) greatly exaggerates the cold. It's cold 3 months a year, and anymore you're liable to have significant thaws in any of those traditional cold months. Plus, it gets hot and humid as hell in the summer. You want cold? I have family in Winnipeg. Winnipeg is cold. Iowa's child's play by comparison.
I don't know man. I lived in NEIA and -40 a couple times each January and -10+ regularly in January and February was plenty cold for my Okie bones.

And, no offense, but Iowa hot ain't hot (at least in the northeast). Humid, for sure. But their definition of "hot" usually had me chuckling.

Good luck to both teams for a good and injury free game! Hope OSU doesn't get behind early like we have lately against ISU. I don't think this year's team is built to come from behind.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Try driving on it next time. First time I ever went ice fishing, my buddy who was an Iowa native took my out and when we pulled up to the lake, I assumed we'd park in the lot, but he just kept on driving right down the boat ramp and out onto the lake. I got over my fear once I got the auger out and saw that the ice was 3+ feet thick.

I lived up there for 8 years after living in OKC, Tulsa and Atlanta all my life. The cold grows on you, and the spring, summer and fall (which are all really nice) make it worth it. Now that I'm back in OK and it's almost 90 degrees with insane humidity in the first week of October, I find myself missing it.

IMO, you'll also never meet nicer people.
I've been invited ice fishing. I love fishing, but ice fishing sounds like the coldest most miserable thing imaginable.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
We'll blow a lead in the 4th quarter. It's what we do, and seemingly will for forever as some kind of slow agonizing payback for 2011.

I would imagine you'll convert at least 5 crucial 3rd and 20+s, because that's how this goes.

Pussy.

Yep, the Iowa boys made fun of me for being an Okie and not tolerating the cold the whole time I was there.

Nov 2, 2009
Iowa Hill Country
The difference in heat is the duration. Our high temps are about the same. The difference is we get a few days at that level and you get a month (or months). An inverse of the cold, I suppose.

Also, whoever said -40 must mean windchill. The state record low was -36 back in the 1920’s in Elkader (which it sounds like you were close to).

I’d love to day drink at the Stonewall tomorrow, but corn harvest comes first!

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
It’s fun if they have a heated hut and booze
Ahh and now we reach the crux of the matter! The only way to have fun in Iowa is with booze it seems.

Instead of ice fishing with a heated hut and booze, why don't I just go regular fishing when it's warm out, and still drink booze? ;)

I do strongly recommend day drinking at the Stonewall though! Although I have heard is has gotten ever more hipstery than it was when I was last there, which is a bummer.

Nov 2, 2009
Iowa Hill Country
Ahh and now we reach the crux of the matter! The only way to have fun in Iowa is with booze it seems.

Instead of ice fishing with a heated hut and booze, why don't I just go regular fishing when it's warm out, and still drink booze? ;)

I do strongly recommend day drinking at the Stonewall though! Although I have heard is has gotten ever more hipstery than it was when I was last there, which is a bummer.
I went to the ‘14 game in Stillwater and had a blast. Stonewall was a lot of fun. Really similar to Ames. Okies are always great hosts.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
I've been invited ice fishing. I love fishing, but ice fishing sounds like the coldest most miserable thing imaginable.
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan. Even on the warmer days, it was just boring. After that, I just stayed in during the winter and tied flies.

The difference in heat is the duration. Our high temps are about the same. The difference is we get a few days at that level and you get a month (or months). An inverse of the cold, I suppose.

Also, whoever said -40 must mean windchill. The state record low was -36 back in the 1920’s in Elkader (which it sounds like you were close to).

I’d love to day drink at the Stonewall tomorrow, but corn harvest comes first!
The state record low is -47 at Elkader in 1996.

https://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/weather/2016/02/coldest-temperature-in-iowa

Not to belabor a pointless discussion, but I actually meant real temps. I lived about 20 miles south of Elkader in Manchester, and we hit those temps as measured at the local trout hatchery several times in the late 2000s and early-mid 2010s. I only remember that because I was good buddies with the employees there who took those measurements.

Here's what Mark Schnackenberg, one of the local weather guys, said about one of those days.

https://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/weather/2018/01/record-cold-temperatures

https://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/weather/2009/01/all-time-records

Anyway, good luck in the game and, more importantly, for the harvest. Stay safe.

Nov 2, 2009
Iowa Hill Country
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan. Even on the warmer days, it was just boring. After that, I just stayed in during the winter and tied flies.

The state record low is -47 at Elkader in 1996.

https://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/weather/2016/02/coldest-temperature-in-iowa

Not to belabor a pointless discussion, but I actually meant real temps. I lived about 20 miles south of Elkader in Manchester, and we hit those temps as measured at the local trout hatchery several times in the late 2000s and early-mid 2010s. I only remember that because I was good buddies with the employees there who took those measurements.

Here's what Mark Schnackenberg, one of the local weather guys, said about one of those days.

https://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/weather/2018/01/record-cold-temperatures

https://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/weather/2009/01/all-time-records

Anyway, good luck in the game and, more importantly, for the harvest. Stay safe.
Wow! Never realized it got that bad. I was living in Des Moines in those days so I missed it. I’m back up north these days and -20 is our usual bottom. Which is still cold as hell.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Sounds like the cold front is going to come through during this game and dump rain and/or storms. Wouldn't be surprised to see a delay happen tomorrow.