Offensive play calling....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I don't think he's a bad QB...he's a game manager/system QB. He just needs a good supporting cast to do well. That does not exist right now, at least fully. If the coaches won't change the playcalling, they need to try a different QB. This is a type of deal where there are several variables they could manipulate to improve the situation, but they're not manipulating anything at all.
We aren't making adjustments game to game much less at halftime

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I rewatched the game and it appeared to me that the OLine or portions of it were purposefully letting defenders loose. Makes me wonder if there is something going on where OLinemen are trying to send a message or they are unhappy with something going on within the structure of the team.
I have noticed the same thing to the point that I have wondered if they just don’t like TC. If he gets hurt Gundy will be forced to a different QB. I really hope I am wrong.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Holgersons offense had the ball getting thrown within a few seconds of being snapped. The ball was being thrown before the receiver even turned around and by the time he turned the receiver was ready to catch it. It was beautiful. I remember seeing our offense and said I pray that we NEVER change it because our offense was so efficient.

Now, I wonder if we will ever change the insanity of shippensburgh. He is our mike stoops on offense. I am surprised we can even move the ball down the field at times.
Well, they fired Mike Stoops.

Dec 21, 2008
Just like when Texas and TCU played cover 3 20yds down field last yr and we wouldn’t throwbunderneath then 3 wks later Gundy goes “well they started playing over the top where we couldn’t throw it deep so we’ve adjusted the past 2 wks and will throw underneath”. Like seriously you make $5M effing dollars and you can’t figure this out during one game let alone a 2nd game where they played us identically?!! So stupid

OrangeCrush

Territorial Marshal
Oct 26, 2004
Gateway to the High Plains
Just like when Texas and TCU played cover 3 20yds down field last yr and we wouldn’t throwbunderneath then 3 wks later Gundy goes “well they started playing over the top where we couldn’t throw it deep so we’ve adjusted the past 2 wks and will throw underneath”. Like seriously you make $5M effing dollars and you can’t figure this out during one game let alone a 2nd game where they played us identically?!! So stupid
too busy grooming the mullet and planning his next rattlesnake hunt.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
My biggest problem with the offense is that they have no identity. Sometimes OSU plays fast, no substitutions, and no huddle. Other times the offense looks stagnant, predictable and slow. The cowboy back is confusing to me. Gundy and Yurcich created that position to help the run game. The offense doesn’t throw enough for those guys to be a threat and when they are in they mostly block or hold so when other teams see them in it’s basically a predictable run play.

Nov 2, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I have watched OSU a long time and since we hired Holgerson, we have created this new identity while keeping the running game strong. Having Holgy, Monken and Yurcich, we kept many similar concepts. What has me completely stumped:

1) Why we run Justice up the middle 95% of the time w/ limited success? Teams stack the box. Everyone knows this but our coaches. Yeah he may break one for 20 yds, but there are 18X when he is getting gang tackled hard.
2) Why we have shown ZERO creativity in getting JD and Chuba the ball? With ***** playcalling, it almost feels like we are trying to force them out the door
3) Not doing anything with multiple back sets?
4) Not throwing to Justice out of the back field? Kid is like Tyreek and needs the ball in space not a stacked box with 15 guys in there
5) ZERRRRROOOOOO use of Cowboy Backs. Last year, we ran several TE/CB sets every game. Sione has been useless this yr. Thought Britton was going to be used a ton? Nope. Jelani is the only one and learning on the fly how not to hold. May lead the team in holds. Seems a like wasted scholarships.
6) When players and fans are showing ZERO energy and fans leaving start of 4th Q in a close game, why not run a flea flicker or hit a CB down field? We do the same crap series after series hoping to break one.
7) Underneath routes are NON EXISTENT. Stoner only goes deep. Wolf only gets 30 yd passes. What happened to this concept?

Team has zero confidence and has been very flat and inconsistent. Players feed off momentum and when we run jet sweeps on 3rd and 15 for no gain like vs TTech, it is hard to blame them
Biggest frustration of MY....

.....If the offensive line cant block, why are all the WR's running 30 yard post patterns???????

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
There were multiple times late in the last game when we would move Justice 8 yards past the line, he would turn around and look for an obvious 1st down pass. Instead of moving the chains, we kept going long unsuccessfully and ended up with 3-outs. At that point in the game, 1st downs could have led to a game winning scoring drive.