Offensive play calling....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
I would settle for a hot pass to the cowboy back or the IR on a slant. Hike, pass, catch, less than a second so the O-line could be traffic cones and it would not matter. TC has the height and delivery to drop it over the top. USE THE MIDDLE OF THE DAMN FIELD!!!!
That's not who we are though. We don't do that.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I rewatched the game and it appeared to me that the OLine or portions of it were purposefully letting defenders loose. Makes me wonder if there is something going on where OLinemen are trying to send a message or they are unhappy with something going on within the structure of the team.
Those are missed assignments - the lineman is thinking the other guy will pick that defender up, and they are not. Sometimes it's hard to tell whose fault it is, kind of like when the WR runs a curl and the QB throws deep; one of them made a bad read, but it's hard for us to tell which one it was. We have too many missed assignments right now and allowing defenders to run free, and it's killing the offense.
That's what happens when you lose a 4 year starter at center that's ordering the protection

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

teachum

Wrangler
Nov 6, 2010
My biggest issue with play calling, and it's not really play calling as it is design, is the play action we employ. The fact that our run game is predicated on the delayed handoff makes our play action fakes take so long. When you have a line that is struggling, backs that can't pick up the blitz, and a QB that takes a long time to pull the trigger, I think the fact that our play action takes 1.5 seconds to execute only exacerbates this problem. I know that's part of the RPO concept, but I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just concentrate on executing a play with our all conference RB and high powered receivers a opposed to letting the defense get a good 1 second head start on rushing our QB.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Holgersons offense had the ball getting thrown within a few seconds of being snapped. The ball was being thrown before the receiver even turned around and by the time he turned the receiver was ready to catch it. It was beautiful. I remember seeing our offense and said I pray that we NEVER change it because our offense was so efficient.

Now, I wonder if we will ever change the insanity of shippensburgh. He is our mike stoops on offense. I am surprised we can even move the ball down the field at times.

ostateim

3rd Doctor in Spies Like Us
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2008
Enid
I rewatched the game and it appeared to me that the OLine or portions of it were purposefully letting defenders loose. Makes me wonder if there is something going on where OLinemen are trying to send a message or they are unhappy with something going on within the structure of the team.
Are the walls padded where you live?

Apr 27, 2006
Not implausible at all. As just demonstrated in Norman, players can effectuate change quicker than almost any other scenario.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
OU fans refer to mike stoops as FUMS. I believe yurchich should be FUMY.

You want the most frustrating team in the world then have FUMS and FUMY. It would be an epic battle of error.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Is that you Trabor?

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
Here's a comparison of offensive stats for Holgy's one season, Monken's two seasons and Yurcich's last two full seasoms:

1539054968287.png

Yurcich has the most yards per game, Monken the most points and points/poss, but the margins between all three are small for all four categories. Very comparable results. Lots of other factors, but these three OC's had very close to the same results.

Dec 21, 2008
Yurcich SHOULD have better talent. Weeden/Blackmon were hidden gems. After their success we should have 5 yrs of studs. Which is currently debatable. Some #s I would argue are skewed vs subpar opponents. Lastly we are scoring a lot bc we continue to give up a lot. When opponents score in 2mins like we do we have 2x the possessions than we would in a “normal” possession type game that most other teams play. And to label ourselves RBU and WRU when no one else does is a JOKE the way we’ve played this yr. does JD even have 15 touches or he and Chuba 25 touches combined? It’s a shame to watch, however you want to spin it

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Here's a comparison of offensive stats for Holgy's one season, Monken's two seasons and Yurcich's last two full seasoms:

View attachment 65209

Yurcich has the most yards per game, Monken the most points and points/poss, but the margins between all three are small for all four categories. Very comparable results. Lots of other factors, but these three OC's had very close to the same results.
I think the stats are deceiving because you are not considering what a holgerson run offense would do this season. I think we would see far better results from a holgerson offense this season and less sacks because the ball would be getting out of the QBs hand quicker. We would also be seeing more high percentage plays for 5-10 yards over the middle.

Feb 18, 2009

View attachment 65209

Except two of them didn’t lose 5 home games with an offense that clearly wasn’t working.

Figures lie and liars figure. Haven’t seen an in game adjustment in 4 years.

Feb 18, 2009
Yurcich SHOULD have better talent. Weeden/Blackmon were hidden gems. After their success we should have 5 yrs of studs. Which is currently debatable. Some #s I would argue are skewed vs subpar opponents. Lastly we are scoring a lot bc we continue to give up a lot. When opponents score in 2mins like we do we have 2x the possessions than we would in a “normal” possession type game that most other teams play. And to label ourselves RBU and WRU when no one else does is a JOKE the way we’ve played this yr. does JD even have 15 touches or he and Chuba 25 touches combined? It’s a shame to watch, however you want to spin it
Spin. Excellent word for it.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The 5 game home losses in the past two years are inexcusable and will probably get to become 7 losses. Yurich is like one of those little league coaches that can't understand why running the same thing over and over isn't going to change results. This has moved from maddening to pitiful.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
Well, hope everyone is looking forward now. We can only fire so many coaches every week and still have coaches...

Anyway, initial, I too thought it CD/TC needed to be replaced, but upon watching the playback (recorded) this Dude was the Dude Sat night. His O-line should be fired - I have seen the videos on here, they were only a small part of the absolute breakdown of the line, just looked, what can we say - but bad and confused. There is no short term fix, that I can see - may be 2 more years..I'm 65..
Save the QB s(Brown & Sanders) with this line. Is there short term fix, yes - do what we do not do - throw quick, if TC can do so, looks like he can to me, these long developing plays (we throw downfield, that is what we do), maybe MG should ..re-think..

TC has my upmost respect for what he did do Sat. Night I have never had 4 -5 guys running like crazy to knock me down. I did see JH open in the middle of the filed multiple times but I was sitting in the stadium not running for my life

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
The 5 game home losses in the past two years are inexcusable and will probably get to become 7 losses. Yurich is like one of those little league coaches that can't understand why running the same thing over and over isn't going to change results. This has moved from maddening to pitiful.
By the end of the season we are going to run out of adjectives to describe it.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Anyway, initial, I too thought it CD/TC needed to be replaced, but upon watching the playback (recorded) this Dude was the Dude Sat night. His O-line should be fired - I have seen the videos on here, they were only a small part of the absolute breakdown of the line, just looked, what can we say - but bad and confused. There is no short term fix, that I can see - may be 2 more years..I'm 65..
Save the QB s(Brown & Sanders) with this line. Is there short term fix, yes - do what we do not do - throw quick, if TC can do so, looks like he can to me, these long developing plays (we throw downfield, that is what we do), maybe MG should ..re-think..

TC has my upmost respect for what he did do Sat. Night I have never had 4 -5 guys running like crazy to knock me down. I did see JH open in the middle of the filed multiple times but I was sitting in the stadium not running for my life
I don't think he's a bad QB...he's a game manager/system QB. He just needs a good supporting cast to do well. That does not exist right now, at least fully. If the coaches won't change the playcalling, they need to try a different QB. This is a type of deal where there are several variables they could manipulate to improve the situation, but they're not manipulating anything at all.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
But , but wait.... I want to hate on Yurcich: As I said there are other factors. One or the other may have had a better kicker - that would have made the difference between any of them. You guys go ahead a sharpen those pitch forks and just ignore the numbers. But based on statistical results the past two seasons you can throw a hat over all three of them. It's why Yurcich has been interviewed by several SEC teams.

What's NOT in that data is YTD this season. Our offense is clearly not as good and if it continues at this pace will deteriorate Yurcich's results. It has a LOT to do with O line play. When you have defenders running in unblocked it doesn't matter at what spot you hand off or where the play is designed to run, or much else. Also, after a hot start the D has not been successful the last few games, and that is were I see systematic problems.

One thing I noticed in past years is we tended to make the better halftime adjustments most games on offense and defense. This year that isn't happening. That would be the biggest complaint I would have of the coaching staff on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

View attachment 65209

All of those teams had an NFL quality quarterback and receiver. That is what is different from this year.