Offensive play calling....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2008
I have watched OSU a long time and since we hired Holgerson, we have created this new identity while keeping the running game strong. Having Holgy, Monken and Yurcich, we kept many similar concepts. What has me completely stumped:

1) Why we run Justice up the middle 95% of the time w/ limited success? Teams stack the box. Everyone knows this but our coaches. Yeah he may break one for 20 yds, but there are 18X when he is getting gang tackled hard.
2) Why we have shown ZERO creativity in getting JD and Chuba the ball? With ***** playcalling, it almost feels like we are trying to force them out the door
3) Not doing anything with multiple back sets?
4) Not throwing to Justice out of the back field? Kid is like Tyreek and needs the ball in space not a stacked box with 15 guys in there
5) ZERRRRROOOOOO use of Cowboy Backs. Last year, we ran several TE/CB sets every game. Sione has been useless this yr. Thought Britton was going to be used a ton? Nope. Jelani is the only one and learning on the fly how not to hold. May lead the team in holds. Seems a like wasted scholarships.
6) When players and fans are showing ZERO energy and fans leaving start of 4th Q in a close game, why not run a flea flicker or hit a CB down field? We do the same crap series after series hoping to break one.
7) Underneath routes are NON EXISTENT. Stoner only goes deep. Wolf only gets 30 yd passes. What happened to this concept?

Team has zero confidence and has been very flat and inconsistent. Players feed off momentum and when we run jet sweeps on 3rd and 15 for no gain like vs TTech, it is hard to blame them

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The repeated Hill runs between the tackles, & QB's thinking a 30 yard pass down the sideline is a high percentage play, regardless of down & distance, have been frustrating for a couple of years now.

Washington & Rudolph could make the long ball successful like nobody OSU's ever seen, & it's like we haven't adjusted to the fact they're gone. The lack of attacking a defense on short routes & in the middle of the field is baffling, to say the least.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
You always hear about QB's being labeled a system guy and that their stats are good only because of the system they play in. In a similar way, I think our Offensive Coordinator is a system OC. When the system is working, the offense is great and the OC looks great, BUT when there are problems, the OC doesn't appear able to adapt beyond the already existing system and make adjustments.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I have believed that OCMY has been horrible for the past 4 years and I don't hide that. I also believe that he hasn't been able to develop a QB either. The Mason Rudolph that played vs Baylor in 2014 was really the same guy That won in the camping world bowl vs. VT the only difference was his familiarity with his teammates he wasn't a more developed player. We absolutely have a system offense and its highly predictable and its predicated on long developing, low percentage plays. You only need to watch 3 or 4 games to get the tendencies and learn the playbook. The guys that support MY bring up stats and its hard to argue against them but when you see that we don't call plays that make a below average O-Line or an average 1st/last year QB be successful it really brings into question the ability of the coach. OSU pays him a lot of money do do a bad job of making the talent he has successful and he's been here long enough to not have excuses about recruiting. Its on him to push his position coaches, to give them direction and to lead them. I squarely blame the hiring of MY on the bad recruiting from Wickline and why he left on bad terms, anyone who's worked for a bad boss probably has the same sentiment. Wickline didn't go from a genius to a idiot in a season.

Kev_Dawg

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
yurcich added a wrinkle to the offense this year with the designed qb sack.

im beginning to think it is play we call at the line of scrimmage.
He also added the matador play. All the o linemen blindly charge up the field at the defenders as they side step them and sack the QB. But maybe that is part of the QB sack play.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
I rewatched the game and it appeared to me that the OLine or portions of it were purposefully letting defenders loose. Makes me wonder if there is something going on where OLinemen are trying to send a message or they are unhappy with something going on within the structure of the team.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
You always hear about QB's being labeled a system guy and that their stats are good only because of the system they play in. In a similar way, I think our Offensive Coordinator is a system OC. When the system is working, the offense is great and the OC looks great, BUT when there are problems, the OC doesn't appear able to adapt beyond the already existing system and make adjustments.
Very well stated. My biggest problem with the offense over the last number of years is the refusal by the coaching staff to publicly state that it is possible to outcoach better teams. Hal Mumme and his disciples built this style of offense with the idea that you could beat more talented teams playing this way. It allowed over matched offensive lines to compete by reducing the amount of time they needed to block. They widened splits, creating space both for running the ball and neutralizing pass rushers. Does anyone remember the ultra wide splits Tech used under Leach? For some reason our coaches are publicly taking the approach that if we can't block we will just continue to lose, instead of admitting that tweaks in scheme could help these issues. I'm not talking about overhauling the scheme, just tweaks.

Feb 18, 2009
I have watched OSU a long time and since we hired Holgerson, we have created this new identity while keeping the running game strong. Having Holgy, Monken and Yurcich, we kept many similar concepts. What has me completely stumped:

1) Why we run Justice up the middle 95% of the time w/ limited success? Teams stack the box. Everyone knows this but our coaches. Yeah he may break one for 20 yds, but there are 18X when he is getting gang tackled hard.
2) Why we have shown ZERO creativity in getting JD and Chuba the ball? With ***** playcalling, it almost feels like we are trying to force them out the door
3) Not doing anything with multiple back sets?
4) Not throwing to Justice out of the back field? Kid is like Tyreek and needs the ball in space not a stacked box with 15 guys in there
5) ZERRRRROOOOOO use of Cowboy Backs. Last year, we ran several TE/CB sets every game. Sione has been useless this yr. Thought Britton was going to be used a ton? Nope. Jelani is the only one and learning on the fly how not to hold. May lead the team in holds. Seems a like wasted scholarships.
6) When players and fans are showing ZERO energy and fans leaving start of 4th Q in a close game, why not run a flea flicker or hit a CB down field? We do the same crap series after series hoping to break one.
7) Underneath routes are NON EXISTENT. Stoner only goes deep. Wolf only gets 30 yd passes. What happened to this concept?

Team has zero confidence and has been very flat and inconsistent. Players feed off momentum and when we run jet sweeps on 3rd and 15 for no gain like vs TTech, it is hard to blame them
There is no creativity or imagination in this offense. Any HS DC could stop it with success. Let alone good college coaches that have players at least as good as ours.

We were down 48-28 in the 4th quarter. I remember when 28 a half was a reality, no matter who we played.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
I rewatched the game and it appeared to me that the OLine or portions of it were purposefully letting defenders loose. Makes me wonder if there is something going on where OLinemen are trying to send a message or they are unhappy with something going on within the structure of the team.
Those are missed assignments - the lineman is thinking the other guy will pick that defender up, and they are not. Sometimes it's hard to tell whose fault it is, kind of like when the WR runs a curl and the QB throws deep; one of them made a bad read, but it's hard for us to tell which one it was. We have too many missed assignments right now and allowing defenders to run free, and it's killing the offense.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
One thing that has always aggravated the piss out of me, about OSU's play calling, is the lack of "trick" plays, or unconventional ones. *Sometimes*, very rarely, they run reverses (which still get stuffed because reasons). Let's see some flea flickers. Let's see some RB passes. S***, try a Statue of Liberty because what do we have to lose? That's what I'd like to see, more experimentation and actual innovation. Also, end around run plays. Why do we hardly run those? Lastly, tight ends. Someone on here made a really good point of how they are rarely involved. I didn't really think about it until that poster mentioned that. Get them involved!

Jul 28, 2006
Almost all of our run plays start with the back getting the ball at the exact same spot. How hard is that to defend? You simply stunt players to that spot on every play. It's no wonder our run game is so anemic. The book is old and tired on our offense. Yurcich is dependent on a huge advantage at WR and even then he fails to use them correctly. It's time for a change and Gundy needs to give the reigns totally to the new OC and get out of the way.

Aug 16, 2012
One thing that has always aggravated the piss out of me, about OSU's play calling, is the lack of "trick" plays, or unconventional ones. *Sometimes*, very rarely, they run reverses (which still get stuffed because reasons). Let's see some flea flickers. Let's see some RB passes. S***, try a Statue of Liberty because what do we have to lose? That's what I'd like to see, more experimentation and actual innovation. Also, end around run plays. Why do we hardly run those? Lastly, tight ends. Someone on here made a really good point of how they are rarely involved. I didn't really think about it until that poster mentioned that. Get them involved!
I would settle for a hot pass to the cowboy back or the IR on a slant. Hike, pass, catch, less than a second so the O-line could be traffic cones and it would not matter. TC has the height and delivery to drop it over the top. USE THE MIDDLE OF THE DAMN FIELD!!!!

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Very well stated. My biggest problem with the offense over the last number of years is the refusal by the coaching staff to publicly state that it is possible to outcoach better teams. Hal Mumme and his disciples built this style of offense with the idea that you could beat more talented teams playing this way. It allowed over matched offensive lines to compete by reducing the amount of time they needed to block. They widened splits, creating space both for running the ball and neutralizing pass rushers. Does anyone remember the ultra wide splits Tech used under Leach? For some reason our coaches are publicly taking the approach that if we can't block we will just continue to lose, instead of admitting that tweaks in scheme could help these issues. I'm not talking about overhauling the scheme, just tweaks.
My issue is that OCWTF runs the shippensburgh offense not the Hal Mumme offense. Gundy was smarter than all these offensive masterminds and just googled searched our 5 play offense. Look at the monster D-3 offense we run now. Gundy always find away to outsmart everyone.

Feb 18, 2009
My issue is that OCWTF runs the shippensburgh offense not the Hal Mumme offense. Gundy was smarter than all these offensive masterminds and just googled searched our 5 play offense. Look at the monster D-3 offense we run now. Gundy always find away to outsmart everyone.
You guys know I get a quarter every time you use "OCWTF(TM)" right? Still waiting on that venmo to show up. I also own Shipemback State(TM). Just a PSA to the board.