NYC Mayor Guarantees Comprehensive Health Care for All in Historic Surprise Announcement

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
My daughter worked in Europe for a summer two years ago. In the orientation, the first thing they were told is DO NOT use the NHS facilities, but find a physician working outside of the government system and pay them cash
I don't know if anyone remembers Hillarycare, but it was going to make private cash transactions with providers illegal.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
As someone who works in the medical field, let me just say that you'd be absolutely stunned at the number of people who use the ER for primary care. SoonerCare, Medicare & Medicaid patients occupy ER space constantly.
LOL! I have a friend that's a paramedic for EMSA. He says the same thing about 911 calls for an ambulance. Says they get calls DAILY to deliver people to the ER/hospital as a personal Uber service. AND currently EMSA only gets paid for about 50% of their actual calls. (Have no idea if that last part is true or not, but not surprising).

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I don't understand ER rules sometimes... A couple examples just within a year of each other when I was in Stillwater. First one was my neighbor had a car accident IN FRONT of the Stillwater hospital but was told he'd need to call an ambulance or else he'd have to wait in the ER. How much flipping sense does that make? I get treating ambulance arrivals more urgently but when the accident is LITERALLY at the entrance of your facility?? Second being after my wife sliced her finger open. We just couldn't get it to stop bleeding so we went to the ER where (after they tried super glue because our male nurse "used to be a bar tender and they did this all the time"...) they gave her stitches (over said super glue...). When we came back a couple weeks later to get the stitches removed there was a guy sitting in the waiting room with his family and he had CLEARLY been in a motorcycle accident and had gashed his head pretty good. Was bleeding everywhere and looked in a daze. So, we check-in, sit down wait a few minutes and then they call us up. Mr. Head Injury still waiting looking like he's on the bring of passing out... We felt horrible! My wife didn't need the stitches removed at that instance, they seriously could have looked at the guy with an obvious head injury. We even asked if they needed to check that guy out first and they told us no and to come on back...

Jul 15, 2010
Dallas and Istanbul
I don't understand ER rules sometimes... A couple examples just within a year of each other when I was in Stillwater. First one was my neighbor had a car accident IN FRONT of the Stillwater hospital but was told he'd need to call an ambulance or else he'd have to wait in the ER. How much flipping sense does that make? I get treating ambulance arrivals more urgently but when the accident is LITERALLY at the entrance of your facility?? Second being after my wife sliced her finger open. We just couldn't get it to stop bleeding so we went to the ER where (after they tried super glue because our male nurse "used to be a bar tender and they did this all the time"...) they gave her stitches (over said super glue...). When we came back a couple weeks later to get the stitches removed there was a guy sitting in the waiting room with his family and he had CLEARLY been in a motorcycle accident and had gashed his head pretty good. Was bleeding everywhere and looked in a daze. So, we check-in, sit down wait a few minutes and then they call us up. Mr. Head Injury still waiting looking like he's on the bring of passing out... We felt horrible! My wife didn't need the stitches removed at that instance, they seriously could have looked at the guy with an obvious head injury. We even asked if they needed to check that guy out first and they told us no and to come on back...
Broken system.

Jul 15, 2010
Dallas and Istanbul
I don't follow your math.... 300K undocumented, 600K uninsured = 900K.... $100,000,000 rolled out over 3 years.....

That equals (100,000,000/3)/900000 = Annual funding per patient = $37.04 per person per year. The NYT has the number that will be on NYCare at 516,000 but hoping to cover more. 516K = $64.60 pppy

In a May 2018 Post article according to Slice delivery service the average 18" pizza in the city is $16.98.... so they are going to provide comprehensive health care for the price of two pizzas. Good luck.
Well, it's still something free to them.

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I don't follow your math.... 300K undocumented, 600K uninsured = 900K.... $100,000,000 rolled out over 3 years.....

That equals (100,000,000/3)/900000 = Annual funding per patient = $37.04 per person per year. The NYT has the number that will be on NYCare at 516,000 but hoping to cover more. 516K = $64.60 pppy

In a May 2018 Post article according to Slice delivery service the average 18" pizza in the city is $16.98.... so they are going to provide comprehensive health care for the price of two pizzas. Good luck.
I wasn't even counting the 300,000 undocumented. I only counted the 600,000 reported and divided into $100 million. That would be $55.55 per person per year.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
you are forgetting administrative costs.
No that’s what they say they are funding it at..... you cant cover the total cost of one hour of an RN for what they are stating they will provide comprehensive care. 50x the number they are stating is more honest.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
$100 million is going to cover all that? That seems like a low ball number.
I think it says that they will provide INSURANCE (i.e., cover the premiums)... at least that's what it seems to say ...

a public health insurance option that helps get direct care to undocumented residents.
That option will be expanded, the mayor said, and supported with the addition of a new program called NYC Care.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I actually fully support this, the sooner this goes into full effect, the sooner the left has to explain that money doesn't actually grow on trees like they originally thought. This can only hurt the move to national single payer in the long run.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I actually fully support this, the sooner this goes into full effect, the sooner the left has to explain that money doesn't actually grow on trees like they originally thought. This can only hurt the move to national single payer in the long run.
So poor people need to be sit down with and frankly told that money does not grow on trees, and in fact, health care must not be regarded as a human right. Instead, health care must be regarded as a privilege earned from having the money to pay for it. Therefore, the poor better straighten up and financially improve themselves, so they can be worthy of attaining needed medical care? To exercise the option to remain poor should come with severe consequences, including death from untreated illness?

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
!
So poor people need to be sit down with and frankly told that money does not grow on trees, and in fact, health care must not be regarded as a human right. Instead, health care must be regarded as a privilege earned from having the money to pay for it. Therefore, the poor better straighten up and financially improve themselves, so they can be worthy of attaining needed medical care? To exercise the option to remain poor should come with severe consequences, including death from untreated illness?
No doubt you must be interested in serving in a "free clinic" for all those needing medical care. We have many of these medical clinics in Oklahoma City. Tell me how we can best reach you.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm the one standing up for the poor getting quality health care by arguing against government take over. You're the one arguing to condemn them to lesser quality, longer waiting periods and eventual rationing. Odd considering you think it's a right and I don't.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
So poor people need to be sit down with and frankly told that money does not grow on trees, and in fact, health care must not be regarded as a human right.
nothing is a "right" unless somebody else has an obligation to honor it.

You have a right to life, because the government has an obligation not to kill you (for example)

The term "right" gets thrown around and misused a lot in our society. Questions frequently come up, such as "Is health care a right?" "Is education a right?" It may seem a tough question to answer, but the litmus test for rights is really quite simple.

Nobody has a right to another person, their time, their labor, or their property. A legitimate right is something one can have without any action being taken by another. In fact, in most cases rights are simply prohibitions on stopping you from doing something. You can exercise the right to free speech, free association, freedom of worship, without any action being taken on my part.

Education, health care, food, shelter, etc, are all nice things to have, but guaranteeing them for you would require that someone else provide them. Slavery (me providing for you) is inconsistent with a free society. Therefore any product or service that requires the labor of another cannot be a "right".

You have the right to bear arms. You don't have a right to a free handgun. (you have to buy your own). You have the right to free speech. You do not have the right to an audience or a forum. You have the right to free assembly. You do not have a right to free meeting space. You have the right to freedom of religion. Society does not owe you a church.