NYC Mayor Guarantees Comprehensive Health Care for All in Historic Surprise Announcement

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 7, 2004
NYC Mayor Guarantees Comprehensive Health Care for All in Historic Surprise Announcement
It's not health insurance; it's the city paying for direct comprehensive care for those who can't afford it or are undocumented, a spokesman said

WHAT TO KNOW
  • New York City will begin guaranteeing comprehensive health care to every single resident regardless of ability to pay or immigration status
  • It's not health insurance; it's the city paying for direct comprehensive care for those who can't afford it or are undocumented
  • The $100M plan will roll out this year; NYers can access the program via the city's website or by calling 311.

New York City will begin guaranteeing comprehensive health care to every single resident regardless of someone's ability to pay or immigration status, an unprecedented plan that will protect the more than half-a-million New Yorkers currently using the ER as a primary provider, Mayor Bill de Blasio said.
It's not health insurance, his spokesman clarified after the surprise announcement on MSNBC Tuesday morning.
"This is the city paying for direct comprehensive care (not just ERs) for people who can't afford it, or can't get comprehensive Medicaid -- including 300,000 undocumented New Yorkers," spokesman Eric Phillips tweeted.
T
De Blasio said the plan will provide primary and specialty care, from pediatrics to OBGYN, geriatric, mental health and other services, to the city's roughly 600,000 uninsured. He said the city already has the foundation for such a plan -- a public health insurance option that helps get direct care to undocumented residents.
That option will be expanded, the mayor said, and supported with the addition of a new program called NYC Care. That plan will roll out in 2019 and build out over the next few years, de Blasio said. It'll cost about $100 million, Politico said.

New Yorkers will be able to access the program through the city's website or simply by calling 311. There will be no tax hikes to fund it, the mayor said.
"We'll put the money in to make it work; it's going to save us money down the line," de Blasio said on MSNBC. "We're already paying an exorbitant amount to pay for health care the wrong way when what we should be doing is helping them get the primary care."
Additional details on the program are expected to be revealed later Tuesday.
"This has never been done in the country in a comprehensive way," de Blasio said on MSNBC. "Health care isn't just a right in theory, it must be a right in practice. And we're doing that here in this city."

Jul 20, 2018
This sounds like a good idea to me. New York city can be a testing ground to see how this works so they can prove to the rest of us how moronically stupid they are.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
This sounds like a good idea to me. New York city can be a testing ground to see how this works so they can prove to the rest of us how moronically stupid they are.
^this.

600K uninsured? After announcing this, there was a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly canceled their insurance and got on the City's dole.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I see more and a lot more undocumented immigrants heading to NYC.

Its kind of weird that new York is a microcosm of the us. They care all about NYC (rich and poor) and nothing about upstate and other smaller populous areas (middle class) . They have made their tax base support everything NYC and tax the crap out of everyone else.

My in laws have owned a home in Unadilla, NY for many many years. They own their home outright, but pay roughly 1200 per month in real estate taxes with very little benefit. Plus all their other exhorbenet fees that NY has. I have tried for years to get them to move here. They say we own our home, and they like it there. Their 2000 square foot home is worth roughly 100k.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I see more and a lot more undocumented immigrants heading to NYC.

Its kind of weird that new York is a microcosm of the us. They care all about NYC (rich and poor) and nothing about upstate and other smaller populous areas (middle class) . They have made their tax base support everything NYC and tax the crap out of everyone else.

My in laws have owned a home in Unadilla, NY for many many years. They own their home outright, but pay roughly 1200 per month in real estate taxes with very little benefit. Plus all their other exhorbenet fees that NY has. I have tried for years to get them to move here. They say we own our home, and they like it there. Their 2000 square foot home is worth roughly 100k.
Whoa, that's terrible. My house payment, property tax, and insurance all rolled into one is less than that per month. And my house is worth more than $100K.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I was just about to post the same thing. Just an annual physical exam. I don't know, but may be cheaper than a visit to the ER if taxpayers are paying anyway?
As someone who works in the medical field, let me just say that you'd be absolutely stunned at the number of people who use the ER for primary care. SoonerCare, Medicare & Medicaid patients occupy ER space constantly.

Jul 15, 2010
Dallas and Istanbul
As someone who works in the medical field, let me just say that you'd be absolutely stunned at the number of people who use the ER for primary care. SoonerCare, Medicare & Medicaid patients occupy ER space constantly.
I'm not in medical care, but my daughters are. I only had one experience. I fell off of a ladder and my wife and neighbors took me to the nearest hospital. As we pulled up, my wife went in to get help to get me out of the car. They said, without an ambulance delivery, I needed to get inside on my own with my wife's help. When I got in, they gave me a bed in a ward. Took exrays etc. I was in that bed for less than an hour. No hookups, no shots, no extras. Just the bed cost me $1,800!!! They told me I had insurance. They could bill me the max to pay for all that come in who had no insurance.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Is this a joke? Cant be serious. That amt of money wont start to cover cost.

Unless..

They plan to tell providers what the city is willing to pay for services. This will be fun to watch. ..:popcorn:

One of the reasons there are Medicare, Medicaid etc patients in ER's is the private practices won't accept what the government is willing to pay for various services. My daughter worked in Europe for a summer two years ago. In the orientation, the first thing they were told is DO NOT use the NHS facilities, but find a physician working outside of the government system and pay them cash or your American insurance if you have it and they will take it. This is EXACTLY where the NYC deal is going; the rich will have excellent health care outside the system and everyone else will have :poo:. Free government stuff always ends up at the lowest common denominator.....

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
That equates to $166.66 per uninsured. That is roughly one office call (Oklahoma rates) with no further testing or medication required. Epic fail in 5, 4, 3, 2......:popcorn:
I don't follow your math.... 300K undocumented, 600K uninsured = 900K.... $100,000,000 rolled out over 3 years.....

That equals (100,000,000/3)/900000 = Annual funding per patient = $37.04 per person per year. The NYT has the number that will be on NYCare at 516,000 but hoping to cover more. 516K = $64.60 pppy

In a May 2018 Post article according to Slice delivery service the average 18" pizza in the city is $16.98.... so they are going to provide comprehensive health care for the price of two pizzas. Good luck.