NVIDIA is king again!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
This one is interesting take on 3080/3090 availability/cost. Obviously speculation, but some insiders/techgurus have pretty much confirmed this is the case.

https://www.mooreslawisdead.com/post/nvidia-s-ultimate-play

TLDR: FE models are binned and tuned for highest performance at launch. Nvidia is eating a lot of costs on the cooling solution. FE supply will be artificially low/constrained.

Then AIB makers, will have to increase price over MSRP (by way of expensive cooling solutions) in order to maintain performance with (non-available) FEs, or produce something that costs the same as FEs but performs worse.

theory being, - initial impression counts. no one reads reviews after launch. The goal is to present awesome performance/value at launch, then raise costs (ie. protect nvidia margins) later.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
This one is interesting take on 3080/3090 availability/cost. Obviously speculation, but some insiders/techgurus have pretty much confirmed this is the case.

https://www.mooreslawisdead.com/post/nvidia-s-ultimate-play

TLDR: FE models are binned and tuned for highest performance at launch. Nvidia is eating a lot of costs on the cooling solution. FE supply will be artificially low/constrained.

Then AIB makers, will have to increase price over MSRP (by way of expensive cooling solutions) in order to maintain performance with (non-available) FEs, or produce something that costs the same as FEs but performs worse.

theory being, - initial impression counts. no one reads reviews after launch. The goal is to present awesome performance/value at launch, then raise costs (ie. protect nvidia margins) later.
I've read availability is going to be absolute shit for awhile, so that makes sense. Let's hope Radeon does a bit better on that front.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I've read availability is going to be absolute shit for awhile, so that makes sense. Let's hope Radeon does a bit better on that front.
it looks like if you want a 3080/3090 - hit nvidia up early and hard as those cards will be a good deal. after those are gone, price/performance of ampere is going to go up.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I mean, this is to be expected when only 30,000 units are available worldwide at launch. I will be waiting a couple months and plan to get the new Radeon flagship card, whatever that ends up being.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I mean, this is to be expected when only 30,000 units are available worldwide at launch. I will be waiting a couple months and plan to get the new Radeon flagship card, whatever that ends up being.
i dont know if i will be getting flagship, but I will be buying AMD. As I said before, FOSS linux drivers are a requirement for me. Rumors seem reasonable. Once Big Navi releases, I'm flashing my 5700 to 5700XT speeds, and handmedowning it to my linux box.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
i dont know if i will be getting flagship, but I will be buying AMD. As I said before, FOSS linux drivers are a requirement for me. Rumors seem reasonable. Once Big Navi releases, I'm flashing my 5700 to 5700XT speeds, and handmedowning it to my linux box.
Very nice! I have heard the 5700xt bios runs on regular 5700's just fine, so that is a super economical approach.

I haven't had a top of the line machine since the late 2000's, but with power becoming more affordable and being able to do modular upgrades, I am gonna aim high with the zen 3 and big navi.

I am thinking about a 4800x if it is 10 core, a 4900x or a 4950x if the latter isn't too crazy expensive.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I recently put together a new rig with an nvidia 1660 Ti and that thing is working like a charm. Very economical. Runs much cooler than the AMD pos I had previously. I'm pretty much on the nvidia bandwagon for the rest of time.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
The ftw ultra is an absolute beast! Got mine today and it completely blows away my 1080 ftw. My cpu is actually bottlenecking my games alot surprisingly. You are definitely required to get at least a 3900x or better and a 9900k or better to get close to truly seeing this thing shine at 1440p or lower. Atm I have a 6700k so it kinda sucks but it's only a couple more weeks away before I can get my hands on a 5900x.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk