North Korea and United States Summit

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It is a dog and pony show, but things have changed recently. The first major change is that NK is now a nuclear state. They either have, or are really super duper close to having, nuclear weapons. In response we have turned up the diplomatic heat even further. So feeling even more heat and having more bargaining power, since they have the weapons, it is a good time for NK to test the waters.

I personally think there is a decent chance that with a few concessions on our part we can get them to cave on the nukes. I just worry that will be all we get. Meaning we will still have a dictator (now sanctioned by us) doing dictator type things in the area of human rights. Similar to the Iran deal. We get want we want on the nuclear aspect, but we don't really address the whole patient.

I actually have faith in Trump on this. This is one if the very few times where I think his particular skill set and unlimited vanity lead us to a deal. Even a partial deal is better than where we were at not too long ago.
I think the difference between NK and Iran is that Iran's hard line is united under a certain religious veal, and NK's hardline is united under the "religion" of nationalism and it's belief that the United States is out to get them. Once they figure out that's not actually true, but that we are only trying to protect the South, Japan, and our homeland, then perhaps they will enter the community of nations. I also think that it's even possible that they could move to free elections with the influence of their very rich and prosperous neighbors to the South.

However, we can only hope that is the case, and we have to verify and actually take part in the destruction of their nukes for me to be comfortable considering their history of promising things they don't deliver. Just because it's a Republican, doesn't mean that this time it will be different if his Administration doesn't follow though and he just wants a pat on the back (and a peace prize to pad his ego). I'm hoping that we the people, and Congress, won't allow this to be a one off, or we just made a mistake.

Last edited:

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
That's not the case at all...North Korea, whom we are DEMANDING to remove ALL of their Nukes (basically at the threat of inhalation) and they are agreeing to do so, isn't our ally, and Canada whom we have a very small, in the grand context, war of words "trade dispute" going on with their leader, isn't our enemy.
Are they voting on SQ 788 also?

I think the difference between NK and Iran is that Iran's hard line is united under a certain religious veal, and NK's hardline is united under the "religion" of nationalism and it's belief that the United States is out to get them.
I thought they were Muslims not Hindus.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
North Korea has an interesting diversity of religions practiced

Their constitution , does have a freedom of religious belief but the govt actively suppresses religion and per the CIA only allows different religions to exist there to attempt to fill the promise of their constitution

Being caught with a Bible can be grounds for execution

1528827201278.png

MindAflame

Lurking. Screwed.
A/V Subscriber
Mar 22, 2012
What in the ever-loving fuck ...

----------

Press Briefings: Foreign Policy: June 12, 2018 Press Conference by President Trump
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/press-conference-president-trump/

Q Can you clarify, when you said you were stopping “war games,” so you are stopping the military exercises with South Korea?

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah, we’ve done exercises for a long period of time, working with South Korea. And we call them “war games,” and I call them “war games.” And they’re tremendously expensive. The amount of money that we spend on that is incredible. And South Korea contributes, but not 100 percent, which is certainly a subject that we have to talk to them about also. And that has to do with the military expense and also the trade.

So we’re doing that. We actually have a new deal with South Korea, in terms of the trade deal, but we have to talk to them. We have to talk to many countries about treating us fairly.

But the war games are very expensive. We pay for a big majority of them. We fly in bombers from Guam. I said — when I first started, I said, “Where do the bombers come from?” “Guam. Nearby.” I said, “Oh, great, nearby. Where’s nearby?” “Six and a half hours.” Six and a half hours — that’s a long time for these big massive planes to be flying to South Korea to practice and then drop bombs all over the place, and then go back to Guam. I know a lot about airplanes; it’s very expensive. And I didn’t like it.

And what I did say is — and I think it’s very provocative, I have to tell you, Jennifer, it’s a very provocative situation when I see that, and you have a country right next door. So under the circumstances that we are negotiating a very comprehensive, complete deal, I think it’s inappropriate to be having war games.

So, number one, we save money — a lot. And number two, it really is something that I think they very much appreciate it.

----------

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
What in the ever-loving fuck ...

----------

Press Briefings: Foreign Policy: June 12, 2018 Press Conference by President Trump
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/press-conference-president-trump/

Q Can you clarify, when you said you were stopping “war games,” so you are stopping the military exercises with South Korea?

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah, we’ve done exercises for a long period of time, working with South Korea. And we call them “war games,” and I call them “war games.” And they’re tremendously expensive. The amount of money that we spend on that is incredible. And South Korea contributes, but not 100 percent, which is certainly a subject that we have to talk to them about also. And that has to do with the military expense and also the trade.

So we’re doing that. We actually have a new deal with South Korea, in terms of the trade deal, but we have to talk to them. We have to talk to many countries about treating us fairly.

But the war games are very expensive. We pay for a big majority of them. We fly in bombers from Guam. I said — when I first started, I said, “Where do the bombers come from?” “Guam. Nearby.” I said, “Oh, great, nearby. Where’s nearby?” “Six and a half hours.” Six and a half hours — that’s a long time for these big massive planes to be flying to South Korea to practice and then drop bombs all over the place, and then go back to Guam. I know a lot about airplanes; it’s very expensive. And I didn’t like it.

And what I did say is — and I think it’s very provocative, I have to tell you, Jennifer, it’s a very provocative situation when I see that, and you have a country right next door. So under the circumstances that we are negotiating a very comprehensive, complete deal, I think it’s inappropriate to be having war games.

So, number one, we save money — a lot. And number two, it really is something that I think they very much appreciate it.

----------
Per the BBC The Chinese Foreign Ministry announced the suspension of the US/South Korea military exercises hours before Trump did. Which means NK was on the phone with China right after the meeting.

The Pentagon has for years always defended the War Games with SK as defensive only and should never be seen as provocative which Trump veered off that today calling the games very provocative

It is also important to note that US Senior Military officials have told the media they had not been notified of this change before hand and are still awaiting orders to stop the games and SK Govt said it is trying to understand and determine the intention of what Trump meant by stopping the war games

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Per the BBC The Chinese Foreign Ministry announced the suspension of the US/South Korea military exercises hours before Trump did. Which means NK was on the phone with China right after the meeting.

The Pentagon has for years always defended the War Games with SK as defensive only and should never be seen as provocative which Trump veered off that today calling the games very provocative

It is also important to note that US Senior Military officials have told the media they had not been notified of this change before hand and are still awaiting orders to stop the games and SK Govt said it is trying to understand and determine the intention of what Trump meant by stopping the war games
NO, what Trump is saying is that NK sees the war games as provactive.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
NO, what Trump is saying is that NK sees the war games as provactive.
Dude pull your head out....He didn't say a damn thing about NK thinking they were Provocative he said "I"

“You know, I wanted to stop the war games, I thought they were very provocative,” Trump told Stephanopoulos. “But I also think they’re very expensive. We’re running the country properly; I think they’re very, very expensive. To do it, we have to fly planes in from Guam — that’s six and a half hours away. Big bombers and everything else. I said, ‘Who’s paying for this?’ I mean, who pays, in order to practice.”

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...s-provocative-war-games-with-south-korea.html

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
And now the democrats are raising a stink about military preparedness...I feel like I might be in the twilight zone.
Exactly, I think the only political position the liberals have is "hate Trump". Many of them would rather see the US economy colapse than Trump succeed.

Bill Maher: I Hope There's Another Recession So We Can Get Rid Of Trump

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattv...recession-so-we-can-get-rid-of-trump-n2489092

I'm curious whose side he's on, because he isn't on the side of the working class in this country!!!!

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007

Get over yourself dude...!

Last edited:

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I didn't say any of these things. These are actual events that occurred and said by other countries and people. I don't hold their beliefs as my own

2 times today on this thread you have argued against Trump's own words coming out of his own mouth to defend him.
You can discuss if that's how he meant something of it that's how you take his statement. But when you start what could be a civil discussion or disagrement with "Dude" ......

NK has always seen the games as provacative and have stated as much.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
You can discuss if that's how he meant something of it that's how you take his statement. But when you start what could be a civil discussion or disagrement with "Dude" ......
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend and was course, but I'm not sure how else you interpret this sentence to be anything other than his own complete thought and try to say that Trump didn't think this, that he was trying to say that this is what NK thought of the war games. I can not logically and in any functioning capacity get to that same conclusion

You know, I wanted to stop the war games, I thought they were very provocative,

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend and was course, but I'm not sure how else you interpret this sentence to be anything other than his own complete thought and try to say that Trump didn't think this, that he was trying to say that this is what NK thought of the war games. I can not logically and in any functioning capacity get to that same conclusion

You know, I wanted to stop the war games, I thought they were very provocative,
Because it isn't important what Trump thought, it's important in moving forward and building a lasting relationship with NK what they thought. Which is what I think Trump was getting at.