Non smart TVs.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
We have several flat screen TVs that are not “smart” TVs, and one that is smart. We mainly only use the smart feature to watch Netflix. Are there stand alone devices we can buy to watch Netflix on the non-smart TVs? If so, recommendations please. Thanks.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Old repurposed computer or laptop. Pair with a wireless keyboard with touchpad (they are smaller than regular keyboards so not hefty, but big enough to be hard to lose.). This will be faster than smart devices and you can browse and check email or Facebook or whatever.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I have a Chromecast, Fire TV stick, and Fire TV box. I definitely prefer the Fire devices over the Chromecast because they have a dedicated remote and operate standalone whereas the Chromecast requires me to use my phone or another device to control it. The Fire interface lets you put all of your video subscriptions on it so it will display things like Netflix recommendations. Also, if you have Amazon Prime it comes with Prime Video access which you can browse directly from the Fire interface. My only Roku experience is with my parents which is an older version and is slow as crap so I can't speak of anything they're currently putting out.

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
We do have Amazon Prime. I know my wife has bought some movies which are stored on it. It sounds like Fire is the best for accessing those. Does Netflix seem to do equally well on Fire and Roku?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
We do have Amazon Prime. I know my wife has bought some movies which are stored on it. It sounds like Fire is the best for accessing those. Does Netflix seem to do equally well on Fire and Roku?
I have no issues with Netflix on my Fire devices but again, can't speak on the newer Roku's. The only real hiccup I have is there's no Youtube app for Fire devices because of the whole Amazon/Google temper tantrum going on right now, but it's still accessible through the Firefox browser app and works fine. I use my devices primarily for Neflix, Hulu, DirecTV Now, Youtube and Prime Video. The original reason for me getting Hulu was to make up for the lack of DVR on DirecTV Now but with that changing soon (technically already for me since I have the Beta app) I'll literally only be keeping it because of The Wiggles... #parentlife... lol

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
Most new Blue Ray players have built-in wifi that enables them to connect a non-smart TV to Netflix/Hulu/Prime/etc.

Oct 1, 2006
Lagos, Nigeria
Old repurposed computer or laptop. Pair with a wireless keyboard with touchpad (they are smaller than regular keyboards so not hefty, but big enough to be hard to lose.). This will be faster than smart devices and you can browse and check email or Facebook or whatever.
That's what I use. Lets me watch pretty much anything from any source, and have a fully functioning PC to boot.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
We have an Apple TV in the living room and I have a Fire TV on the TV in the garage. Both work equally as good as the other and you can get all the Amazon Prime stuff on Apple TV. Netflix works exactly the same on both.

Mar 11, 2006
We have several flat screen TVs that are not “smart” TVs, and one that is smart. We mainly only use the smart feature to watch Netflix. Are there stand alone devices we can buy to watch Netflix on the non-smart TVs? If so, recommendations please. Thanks.
If you are live in a Cox serviceable area, their new Contour service has several apps including Netflix. Which is nice because it makes Netflix voice searchable.

Comcast has same thing.