Non-safety, Texas holding in the endzone

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Anyone have video on that play? I don't have ABC with Dish (they've been fighting with my local network for almost a year) so I didn't get to DVR it. I recorded the ESPN replay and watched film to but they cut that part out.

Anyone have a video of it? I never understood how UT holds with all the OL in the endzone, flag in the EZ and it not be a safety. First time I've seen that at any level.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Anyone have video on that play? I don't have ABC with Dish (they've been fighting with my local network for almost a year) so I didn't get to DVR it. I recorded the ESPN replay and watched film to but they cut that part out.

Anyone have a video of it? I never understood how UT holds with all the OL in the endzone, flag in the EZ and it not be a safety. First time I've seen that at any level.
I just watched my recording of the game and the refs screwed up and called the hold on the wrong guy. They called it on the guard and he didn’t even block anyone and thus was not in the end zone. However the hold was actually on the tackle and was most definitely in the end zone when it occurred. However it ended up giving us a much shorter field that allowed us to get the TD that was the final difference in the game so karma worked in our favor. Getting the safety would not have been enough after all and they would have been kicking us deep after it.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
The play is at the 2:14:08 mark. Bundage is clearly tackled in the endzone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu6LVqESA7w
You can definitely tell that if he isn't held, he's getting to Ehlinger.

I mentioned this in the game thread Saturday, and I'm going to say it again: I believe holding happens on the *MAJORITY* of plays, and they simply don't call it. It has to be blatantly obvious to the ref. It aggravates me, to no end, to see some QBs get a freaking lifetime to throw the ball, with no flags being thrown.

Nov 30, 2015
Broken Arrow
I just watched my recording of the game and the refs screwed up and called the hold on the wrong guy. They called it on the guard and he didn’t even block anyone and thus was not in the end zone. However the hold was actually on the tackle and was most definitely in the end zone when it occurred. However it ended up giving us a much shorter field that allowed us to get the TD that was the final difference in the game so karma worked in our favor. Getting the safety would not have been enough after all and they would have been kicking us deep after it.

I had similar thoughts after we forced them to punt. In the moment though I starting assuming the worst and kept thinking that missed safety was going to hurt us at the very end.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Look at 1:09:23 and tell me that the ref had enough to overturn that first down spot...the fact that he did overturn it resulted in OSU having to do the fake punt that the refs gave us a first down on...which might have been a bad call. Make up call?

Also, look at the spot at 1:16 after Chuba's run..it was NOT reviewed or even replayed and we missed the QB sneak on the next play...resulted in the long touchdown pass on 4th but it looks to me like we got the 1st down. Numerous spots in that game seemed shorter than the progress of the runners.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2008
i haven't reviewed the play, but was told by someone who did (and play offensive line in high school) that the ruling was the hold began before the players were in the endzone, so no safety. I was upset that Gundy didn't "waste" a timeout and give the refs an opportunity to review the play, but that call would not have been reviewable.

From the rules book:
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR17updated.pdf

b. Holding. The hand(s) and arm(s) shall not be used to grasp, pull, hook, clamp or encircle in any way that illegally impedes or illegally obstructs an opponent. PENALTY—10 yards Penalties for Team A fouls behind the neutral zone are enforced from the previous spot. Safety if the foul occurs behind Team A’s goal line [S42].

SECTION 3. Reviewable Plays Scoring Plays ARTICLE 1. Reviewable plays involving a potential score include: a. A potential touchdown or safety. [Exception: Safety by penalty for fouls that are not specifically reviewable.]

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
They called the hold, which after another incompletion resulted in them punting from the endzone, and OSU getting the ball at the 35, which led to a touchdown. Who knows if we get the ball back up 5 with worse field position if we even score?

Point is, we won. So, who cares? Every team's fanbase complains about the refs, no reason in thinking our complaints are more legitimate the others. Refs miss calls, just part of the game

Oct 30, 2007

The refs did NOT screw up they did their best with the orders that they had,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Something about Texas and that endzone comes to mind in my memory. Was it the same ref that made the wrong call I wonder?

Jan 31, 2008
Oklahoma City
That was one of the worst refereed games I have seen. That was an OBVIOUS safety and no call. How the ref microanalyzed numerous first downs and TD's on OSU plays was bizarre. The replay over an OSU first down took way too much time and you knew it would be overturned against the Cowboys. And we still WON!!!

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I was incensed at the time, it says something to the quality of the Big 12 refs that they did not get that call right. Even a little kid in the stands was yelling safety, he knew the rules. In hindsight though, it does not bother me at all because we got the ball on their side of the field and went on to score the TD that was needed to win. If the refs had called that play correctly, we would have been up 5 but started our next possession way back in our own side and up till then, Yurcich and Co had not done much in the 2nd half. Who knows, it's possible we don't score and UT takes the lead 35-33. Water under the bridge at this point as far as I'm concerned but Big 12 refs are still among the worst in college football.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yeah, definitely the best game that that crew has had.

That being said, you wanna see a clown show, just watch some PAC12 action. If you think OU getting jobbed at Oregon years ago, or the way we got hosed at Arizona are anomalies, you'd be wrong. This crap happens pretty much weekly in the "conference of champions."

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
With today’s technology I’m not sure why another ref can’t be added, an eye in the sky with the ability to throw a flag. They have a better view of the field in some cases than those on the field. The wrong call in the end zone is a perfect example that would have probably been called correctly from a drone.