No students, no sports

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Everyone acts like it can all be done online, but didn't anyone, besides me, have labs?
Yeah... he actually has some verbiage in the statement about labs:

Some possible examples of potential exceptions - and only when there are sufficient resources available and protocols in place to assure that rigorous health and safety requirements are in place - include clinical classes with training mannequins for our nursing students such that we keep students on track for licensure and entry into the state's healthcare workforce; essential physical and life science laboratory classes enabling degree completion and entry into the energy and bioscience fields; access to kilns and other unique facilities to enable students in the performing and creative arts to explore and express the depth, breadth and beauty of humanity; hands-on experience with unique instrumentation and senior capstone projects for engineering, architecture and agriculture students; and access to the blue-water hands-on interactive simulator for boat and ship handling, to provide students with knowledge, understanding and skills necessary for the maritime industry and required for licensure by the US Coast Guard and UN International Maritime Organization.
So again, I would assume campuses would have to be "open" and housing students and accomidating online courses AND with exceptions, in-person courses.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The SEC is going to play football this fall, the NCAA be damned.
This.

I already would have bet an unreasonable amount of money they wouldn't close the Las Vegas strip, now I'm ready to go double or nothing on SEC football.

No fricken way.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

States campuses will be "open"... but gives literally ZERO details on athletics. :glare:
Everyone acts like it can all be done online, but didn't anyone, besides me, have labs?
My son has architecture studio. Has to build physical models, use drafting printers, etc.. can't do that online.

And yes, any hands on science lab is gonna be hard to reproduce.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
My son has architecture studio. Has to build physical models, use drafting printers, etc.. can't do that online.

And yes, any hands on science lab is gonna be hard to reproduce.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
My twin nieces are at OSU these days (no pics you perves), and they had to watch the instructor do the normal lab things online. So lame and stupid.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
When I was at OSU, our QB was at first a Chemistry Major then switched to Chem Engr. . . and Jimmy allowed it !!!
some athletes enjoy those labs. Some athletes actually enjoy school!!!
Yeah, it was a bit of a joke. I knew several athletes who were very good students back when they really didn't have to go to class. Terry Miller and Olus Holder were each arguably the best player on their respective teams and I saw them in the Business building nearly every day.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Oh I know...
Yeah, it was a bit of a joke. I knew several athletes who were very good students back when they really didn't have to go to class. Terry Miller and Olus Holder were each arguably the best player on their respective teams and I saw them in the Business building nearly every day.

Sep 9, 2013
Awesome, made even better because he's on the playoff committee.
WVU’s athletic director, Shane Lyons, chairs the influential Football Oversight Committee, a blend of decision-makers from the FCS and FBS who will be responsible for how the sport returns to the field. He said conferences and the NCAA are planning for a return to practice with the goal of playing on the opening weekends in August and September. “Our focus right now is starting on time,” he said.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Here’s the scope:
“NCAA president Mark Emmert said he does not envision schools being ready to begin competing in college football or other fall sports unless students return to campuses around the country.“

He went in to say if campus wasn’t safe for general student population then he can’t sacrifice the student-athletes.

So he’s opposite of all the “back to normal” plans where we phase-in. He’s laid out a “all or nothing” ultimatum.

Stupid.

Why not Phase in with the most invincible, those that have trainers, diet consultants, the healthiest group= athletes
I think you're overreacting here a little bit.

He's saying exactly what was being said when the conference BB tourneys got shut down: if you don't have students &/or fans, you can't have people's children there to provide entertainment. Period. End of story.

It is definitely going to be interesting to see how things shake out, state by state & how the season is affected.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
if you don't have students &/or fans, you can't have people's children there to provide entertainment. Period. End of story.
Agreed

There's already a racial component to the student athletes not "getting paid", but you send them out there to risk injury and big woo while the other students are all tucked in their with mom and dad, and alums watch them on TV, it's just not going to work.

Except for the possible exception of the NY/NJ area and the left coast, students will go back to school. California is the potential fly in the ointment.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Lives in cities you'll never see on screen
twitter.com
I think being cautious about a virus that we knew nothing about last year; and very little and evolving info about this year is actually a prudent move.

I think anyone who wants to break quarantine, should travel to NYC, Northern New Jersey, or Connecticut to volunteer in a hospital before espousing knowledge of the severity of this virus.

If a part of the country is safe to return to degrees of normalcy, they absolutely should. But speaking in absolutes about a dynamic issue is absurd at best and dangerous at worst.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I think being cautious about a virus that we knew nothing about last year; and very little and evolving info about this year is actually a prudent move.

I think anyone who wants to break quarantine, should travel to NYC, Northern New Jersey, or Connecticut to volunteer in a hospital before espousing knowledge of the severity of this virus.

If a part of the country is safe to return to degrees of normalcy, they absolutely should. But speaking in absolutes about a dynamic issue is absurd at best and dangerous at worst.

What if people who want to break quarantine already live in areas where it's safe to return to degrees of normalcy? You appear to support them with your last statement.