No Respect for Karsten Creek

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Despite a one-off hosting of the 2018 Men's and Women's Golf Championships with immaculate conditions at one of the preeminent collegiate courses and what appeared to be a larger crowd than is typical for the event, looks like it will be a while before OSU gets another shot.

Blessings CC hosted last year (U of Ark) in a one-off but for some reason, the NCAA gave ASU a three-year run for 2020-2022 then pushed it back a year because of Covid. Now they just announced another three-year run at Omni La Costa Resort in Carlsbad, California for 2024-2026. For some reason, the host school is....Texas. WTF???

Karsten is hosting a couple regionals during this period but not the kind of exposure the course deserves.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Despite a one-off hosting of the 2018 Men's and Women's Golf Championships with immaculate conditions at one of the preeminent collegiate courses and what appeared to be a larger crowd than is typical for the event, looks like it will be a while before OSU gets another shot.

Blessings CC hosted last year (U of Ark) in a one-off but for some reason, the NCAA gave ASU a three-year run for 2020-2022 then pushed it back a year because of Covid. Now they just announced another three-year run at Omni La Costa Resort in Carlsbad, California for 2024-2026. For some reason, the host school is....Texas. WTF???

Karsten is hosting a couple regionals during this period but not the kind of exposure the course deserves.
I wonder how much travel and local accommodations are considered. Because you’re right, Karsten was a great setting for the event.

Aug 16, 2012
I wonder how much travel and local accommodations are considered. Because you’re right, Karsten was a great setting for the event.
It appears to me that the NCAA is trying to get away from the "host school" model. The 3-year stint at ASU is not even at the course ASU plays at, which completed a multi-million dollar renovation two years ago and is as close to state-of-the-art as golf facilities come. What is the point of designating Texas as the host school in 2024-2026 when it is 1300 miles away? Not to mention there are no less than four PGA tour-caliber courses in Austin. It looks to me like they want the championships at pro venues like other sports and money is doing all the talking. What next? Take the CWS away from Omaha and the WCWS away from OKC?

Aug 16, 2012
Karsten gets plenty of respect. They have to spread the love, we will host again soon enough and many will complain we host too much when we win.
You missed the part about for the next six years, the championships will not be at collegiate courses. If this is the trend, then no, we may not see another at Karsten.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
Could be weather too. So Cal and Zona are pretty predictable. As for middle America, Karsten and Blessings are two of the best. But, there are tons of awesome courses that could compete if they had the right political connection. Especially if the NCAA is trying to get away from college teams home courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2018
okc
Speaking of Karsten Creek, a few weeks back I heard Pat Jones mention that Karsten was an albatross around OSU's neck. I understand that was Pat Jones and I also know he talks out of his butt alot and is bitter towards OSU. But does anyway know if the golf course is a drain on resources or does it hold its own?

Years ago the golf program had $31M dollars sitting there until Holder moved it or at least most of it over to help with other construction. How they got that much in the first place I don't know but I hope they were able to build it back up to support the golf course. Anybody have inside information?

Feb 18, 2009
It appears to me that the NCAA is trying to get away from the "host school" model. The 3-year stint at ASU is not even at the course ASU plays at, which completed a multi-million dollar renovation two years ago and is as close to state-of-the-art as golf facilities come. What is the point of designating Texas as the host school in 2024-2026 when it is 1300 miles away? Not to mention there are no less than four PGA tour-caliber courses in Austin. It looks to me like they want the championships at pro venues like other sports and money is doing all the talking. What next? Take the CWS away from Omaha and the WCWS away from OKC?
I realize it's blasphemy but I would not shed a tear if they moved in the CWS out of the current park it's in........not saying leave Omaha (though I would support that as well.:runaway::D)

Sep 12, 2008
Speaking of Karsten Creek, a few weeks back I heard Pat Jones mention that Karsten was an albatross around OSU's neck. I understand that was Pat Jones and I also know he talks out of his butt alot and is bitter towards OSU. But does anyway know if the golf course is a drain on resources or does it hold its own?

Years ago the golf program had $31M dollars sitting there until Holder moved it or at least most of it over to help with other construction. How they got that much in the first place I don't know but I hope they were able to build it back up to support the golf course. Anybody have inside information?
I don't believe this for a minute. If it was bleeding money they would reduce their rates to increase outside play or increase the number of memberships they sell. And they have done neither. Another bogus Pat Jones rumor.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I’m sure it’s a money loser, through operational costs and limited play. Probably a couple of million a year. But ‘ol Patty is probably being a bit dramatic in that statement. One of Boone’s first major sports gifts was to Karsten, due to his relationship with Holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
There was a pretty big outcry after we hosted at Karsten & won it & yes, they're moving away from host school settings as you pointed out.