NO NEW TARIFFS: TRUMP WINS TRADE BATTLE WITH CHINA

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Irrational fear makes people skeered. Skeered people sell their stocks. When people sell their stocks, Wall Street brokers make money. They love volatility.
So, all the rational confidence that the markets have shown under the Trump administration have suddenly given way to irrational fear? Sudden mass irrationality? Or is it that sometimes people rationally lose confidence and begin selling off?

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Only those people who are actually indicted, are corrupt?
Uh, yeah, actually. Just because someone may have different political views than you and, for instance, contributes money to political action committees or whatever, doesn't make them "corrupt".

Trump's people ARE corrupt, given they are being indicted one by one. Don Trump Jr. is next, followed by probably Roger Stone. Wouldn't be surprised if Jared Kushner and Ivanka are somehow included, though that's a little more improbable. It's only a matter of time, and I think you all are having a hard time coming to terms with that. Robert Mueller, that *registered Republican*, is about to release his findings.

Surely you know that, when Trump wouldn't be funded by America's big banks, following all of his bankruptcies (because he's a *SHITTY* businessman), Duetsche Bank decided to step in and fund him, correct? And what recently happened there? Their main offices were raided, and one of their smaller partner banks in Estonia for money laundering, to the tune of $230 *billion* dollars. You should also know, I trust, that Trump was funded by Russian oligarchs for some of his projects. And you think he's completely, 100% squeaky clean? C'mon.

Also, it's funny that people in Oklahoma (and other conservative states) would all of a sudden trust the carnival barkings of a "NYC liberal" (which Trump used to be). A guy with golden toilets totally cares about Billy Bob in Sallisaw, Oklahoma.

So, tell me, how was President Obama actually "corrupt"? List *legitimate* ways in which he was. And don't even begin to mention crap like "Benghazi" (a non-issue)...or the favorite of you all about paying Iran $400 million (which was THEIRS TO BEGIN WITH). Give me actual, substantial ways.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018
So, all the rational confidence that the markets have shown under the Trump administration have suddenly given way to irrational fear? Sudden mass irrationality? Or is it that sometimes people rationally lose confidence and begin selling off?
We'll see over the next couple of years. I'm still way up since election day. If Obama were still president, we'd be around 18,000. What would you rather have?

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
We'll see over the next couple of years. I'm still way up since election day. If Obama were still president, we'd be around 18,000. What would you rather have?
We'd be at 18,000 based on what? Assuming you're a professional in financial investing, let us know.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I'd rather have Good Trump. The problem here is that you can't admit to the existence of Bad Trump.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Based on where we were going when he was in office. Duh.
The Dow increased by 11,000 during President Obama's tenure. It was increasing up to the time he left office. So...by what you JUST SAID, it would keep going up.

You guys make this really easy.

Jul 20, 2018
The Dow increased by 11,000 during President Obama's tenure. It was increasing up to the time he left office. So...by what you JUST SAID, it would keep going up.

You guys make this really easy.
It's not that easy. I know this will be complicated for you but you should look at the trend of the curve during Obama's final years in office. Flat, flat, flat.

Also, those of you who are especially challenged, look at the slope of the curve for Obama vs. Trump. There's no comparison.

If you really want to blow your pea-sized brain, google the federal reserve's actions during the Obama years vs. the Trump years and see what they've done to the interest rates.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
It's not that easy. I know this will be complicated for you but you should look at the trend of the curve during Obama's final years in office. Flat, flat, flat.

Also, those of you who are especially challenged, look at the slope of the curve for Obama vs. Trump. There's no comparison.

If you really want to blow your pea-sized brain, google the federal reserve's actions during the Obama years vs. the Trump years and see what they've done to the interest rates.
I agree with you about Obama v Trump and a business-friendly environment, but you would do so much better in the discussion without the insults. They just aren't necessary.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis

If you're talking specifically about raising interest rates, the Fed is doing that because they have indicators that show rising inflation, for instance. So they have to raise interest rates in order to discourage "over-growth" (yes, that is possible). It's simply to soften the blow when the economy does slow down, which it's going to.

Again, these are things that *real* economists know, and study. Not armchair economists like, evidently, yourself. I would rather trust them than you.

Jul 20, 2018
If you're talking specifically about raising interest rates, the Fed is doing that because they have indicators that show rising inflation, for instance. So they have to raise interest rates in order to discourage "over-growth" (yes, that is possible). It's simply to soften the blow when the economy does slow down, which it's going to.

Again, these are things that *real* economists know, and study. Not armchair economists like, evidently, yourself. I would rather trust them than you.
I'm sorry but the rate of inflation during the Obama years was (at times) higher than it has been during Trump's tenure and yet interest rates were kept at basically zero. Your comment doesn't hold water.

I guess you backed off of your comments about how well the Dow did during the Obama years vs. Trump. Glad you saw the light.

Oct 30, 2007
Much of the stock market growth during Obama's presidency can be chalked up to recovery from the financial crisis. The indexes didn't set new all time highs until Obama's 5th year in office.

From the 2012 election to the 2016 election, the Dow increased by 38%. From the 2016 election until now, it's increased 37%. It would probably be up 50% or more if it weren't for the trade war with China.

This year has been really interesting:
1. The trade war with China caused a correction early in the year. The stock market slowly recovered to set new all time highs in August.
2. Early in October, the fed chairman Jerome Powell made the comment that interest rates were a 'long way' from neutral. This scared investors, and the stock market dropped 10% over the next few weeks.
3. Late in November Powell backtracked and said that interest rates were 'just below' neutral. This caused the stock market to rebound 7% off of it's lows.
4. Monday the stock market reacted positively to the 90 day window that the US and China agreed upon to work out a trade deal. But it closed the day up only a little bit over 1% higher than Friday's close.
5. Yesterday we saw the fist signs of an inverted yield curve in treasury bonds. This scared investors and the stock market dropped about 3%.

There's been a lot more to the stock market fluctuations this year than just the trade war with China.