No More Vanilla Offense For Texas!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Been a lot of seasons where everyone has said "Gundy's not revealing the playbook to conference opponents" and sure enough when the conference schedule rolls arounds it's the same steaming pile of ineffective plays and schemes we were running in non conference.
I agree with the point that every season we hear some on here talk about "saving the good stuff" then we essentially see the same plays in conference play, but it's hard to call top 10 - 15 ranked offensive output "a steaming pile of ineffective plays."

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I agree with the point that every season we hear some on here talk about "saving the good stuff" then we essentially see the same plays in conference play, but it's hard to call top 10 - 15 ranked offensive output "a steaming pile of ineffective plays."
I really hate to call a player out personally, but options were limited last year due to the inflexibility of the QB position. That by itself could have accounted for the steaming pile we saw at a number of junctures.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I really hate to call a player out personally, but options were limited last year due to the inflexibility of the QB position. That by itself could have accounted for the steaming pile we saw at a number of junctures.
We had a crappy defense and a 13th ranked offense. The closest thing to a steaming pile was on the other side of the ball.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
We had a crappy defense and a 13th ranked offense. The closest thing to a steaming pile was on the other side of the ball.
Well, the fact that the OC from last year has left the Boone says Coach Gundy saw more behind the rankings that he didn't really like. There were entire games where the offense basically disappeared and left the defense on the field 110 plays per game. By the same token, that defense did itself no favors by continually surrendering third and longs all year.

Worst case scenario, synergistically.

Aug 16, 2012
Well, the fact that the OC from last year has left the Boone says Coach Gundy saw more behind the rankings that he didn't really like. There were entire games where the offense basically disappeared and left the defense on the field 110 plays per game. By the same token, that defense did itself no favors by continually surrendering third and longs all year.

Worst case scenario, synergistically.
You do know he was not fired and walked into a new office at a blue blood school in Columbus, Ohio the day after he left here, right?

Oct 21, 2013
Austin Texas
Im worried that Sanders doesnt have a good grasp of the passing game and Texas will load the box to stop the run.
I DO believe UT will load the box and force Sanders to make quick and accurate throws. It would appear if he tosses the pigskin like he did against Oregon St. We can loosen them up a bit to open up the run game. My hypothesis is that SS has a grasp of the passing game but UT is going to see if he can execute under heavy pressure.

It would also seem to me that UT believes they can whip us on both sides of the ball. I'm feeling okay about our O-Line more than holding their own. On the D-side, they are going to run it down our throat until we load the box to stop them. Our CB's are going to have to play a stellar game as they are going to be on an island with some very tall receivers.

Win that turnover battle guys, limit penalties and we've got more than a punchers chance. Go Pokes!

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Im worried that Sanders doesnt have a good grasp of the passing game and Texas will load the box to stop the run. The way our offense looked at Tulsa, I would not be surprised if we get blown out next week. Hope Im wrong. Also hoping that Gleeson has been saving his best for Big XII play and weve just been running simple sets because we knew we would have success against the non con slate. But Im somewhat skeptical now after Tulsa had us on the edge.
Oh to always be on that 19 point edge...we are indeed spoiled. Gotta love it.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I DO believe UT will load the box and force Sanders to make quick and accurate throws. It would appear if he tosses the pigskin like he did against Oregon St. We can loosen them up a bit to open up the run game. My hypothesis is that SS has a grasp of the passing game but UT is going to see if he can execute under heavy pressure.

It would also seem to me that UT believes they can whip us on both sides of the ball. I'm feeling okay about our O-Line more than holding their own. On the D-side, they are going to run it down our throat until we load the box to stop them. Our CB's are going to have to play a stellar game as they are going to be on an island with some very tall receivers.

Win that turnover battle guys, limit penalties and we've got more than a punchers chance. Go Pokes!
Can't disagree -classic defense for an inexperienced QB.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
The bigger problem I saw on Saturday that makes me worry about the UT game is it seemed we lost some of that discipline that has been preached all off season. I mean there were a lot of stupid penalties and boneheaded moves. Way more than the first two games. Keep those down, win the turnover battle and get some of the defensive guys back and I like our chances.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
... On the D-side, they are going to run it down our throat until we load the box to stop them. ...
One would think that. I do remember a few years ago Fexas had 3 stud running backs and QB that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 yards. I figured they would dust off the ole Woody Hayes playbook and run the ball nearly every play. Instead they tried to throw a LOT more than they should have. We won.

These guys (the coaches) don't see what we see. The ones without the kool-aid sunglasses see better than we do. The ones with those sunglasses see what they want to see, not what's in front of them. That got Brown and Strong fired. We'll see about Herman.

May 8, 2009
Germantown, TN

Yes. Limit the penalties, especially the ones caused by the mouth!! I cannot stand unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. That and dead ball fouls!

Nov 12, 2007
Tulsa, Okla.
Been a lot of seasons where everyone has said "Gundy's not revealing the playbook to conference opponents" and sure enough when the conference schedule rolls arounds it's the same steaming pile of ineffective plays and schemes we were running in non conference.
I mean... you can't be serious with this, can you?

Just look at where our "steaming pile of ineffective plays and schemes" have landed us in total offense in the country in the past 5 years:

2019 (through 3 games): 12th
2018: 10th
2017: 2nd
2016: 14th
2015: 22nd

Our fans who complain about our offense are either (a) ridiculously spoiled or (b) don't watch much college football outside of OSU games. I suspect it's a measure of both.

Just because you don't score a TD on every single drive or score 65 points every game doesn't mean your offense is BAD, FFS.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I mean... you can't be serious with this, can you?

Just look at where our "steaming pile of ineffective plays and schemes" have landed us in total offense in the country in the past 5 years:

2019 (through 3 games): 12th
2018: 10th
2017: 2nd
2016: 14th
2015: 22nd

Our fans who complain about our offense are either (a) ridiculously spoiled or (b) don't watch much college football outside of OSU games. I suspect it's a measure of both.

Just because you don't score a TD on every single drive or score 65 points every game doesn't mean your offense is BAD, FFS.
LOL! I got a "disagree" emoji for saying the same thing in fewer words a few posts up. Our offense has been consistently great for years now.

Oct 7, 2008
Does the Gleeson playbook have slants? The last OC seemed to have lost those pages. I also prefer Gleeson's version of the WR screen. Yurcich's was a pick 6 waiting to happen.
It looks to me like Sanders hasn't learned to work the middle of the field yet. We've maybe completed one or two passes between the hashes this year. Last game gave me deja vu to the days of the Daxx Garman chuck it and pray offense.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Not going to thumb you down, but I call bull shit. The guy has had 18 months. If he does not have full grasp by now, maybe he was not the best recruit or choice to lead this team. Yes, he is lacking game experience, but I honestly doubt there is a single play in the book he does not know what he is supposed to do.
It’s not that he doesn’t know what he is supposed to do. It’s that he is still slow processing what the defense is doing and doesn’t yet have the confidence to pull the trigger when he needs to.

This just comes with time.

Also, passes over the middle of the field are the most dangerous ones to make. There’s a difference between knowing the play and having the in-game experience and timing to complete it without sailing the ball high and/or behind the intended receiver.

DallasOSUCowboys34

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Potential bad news; I dont think they will, but if UT sets up their D the same as Tulsa you will see a lot of runs between the tackles. A lot of what we do on offense is dictated by defensive alignment.

We've had clearly better talent in the last three games. We won't vs UT. Expect more of the playbook this week and maybe some trickeration.
Why do you expect plays in between the tackles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk