NIT: Cowboys vs FGCU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Not pretty, but it wasn't going to be. Dunk City can play. I said this in the NCAA thread: I think this is the toughest overall quadrant of the NIT. None of our games will be easy.

Unsurprisingly, home teams have been holding serve tonight. I imagine that will continue, but hopefully UNC-Asheville or Western Kentucky win in Los Angeles.

Aug 16, 2012
Goodwin just got his career high Against us?
He broke the FGCU single season scoring record (that he set last year). Only had 18 in the game, not like he went off and had a single game high. Actually held him 0.4 points below his average on the night.

Aug 16, 2012
Couple of things.

Like the wider lane.

Like the deeper 3-point line but dang-it, Boynton needs to pull the reins on some of the team, especially Carroll and Averette.

Could do without the 4-quarters, but I think my opinion is based more on familiarity with the 2-half format.

Jury (mine anyway) is still out on the 20-second re-set for offensive rebounds. Not sure if we had a decent offensive set after an offensive rebound all night. Seemed harried and while maybe perception, seems too often the second chance consisted of jacking up a quick three.

Shooting all around seemed off, but have to admit, they played hard.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Was fun to go to Stillwater, have to admit I’ve been kind of a noshow this year in both football and basketball. It’s almost sad to go to basketball games these days and have people look at you funny just because you know how to yell like the good ole days. I even apologized to the old man in front of me for actually supporting the kids with my voice. We have fallen soooo far as fan support goes in basketball. Wish we could send the students back to the mid 90s in a time machine to see what it used to be. A time when basically everyone in that arena yelled until they were hoarse and you were lucky to be able to snag a $75 single ticket from a scalper because it was always sold out. Certainly it was the NIT so I understand a bit, but I thought we would roll out because of the snub. Sadly, despite what Dave implied, we did not.

On the NIT, the rules changes make the morgue that GIA has become even more sad. Don’t mess with college basketball.

Still fun to see all the massive changes around Stillwater. It’s no longer just a little town with a Univerity, that campus is transforming so fast that every six months something new pops up. Fun night despite my disappointment in the crowd.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Was fun to go to Stillwater, have to admit I’ve been kind of a noshow this year in both football and basketball. It’s almost sad to go to basketball games these days and have people look at you funny just because you know how to yell like the good ole days. I even apologized to the old man in front of me for actually supporting the kids with my voice. We have fallen soooo far as fan support goes in basketball. Wish we could send the students back to the mid 90s in a time machine to see what it used to be. A time when basically everyone in that arena yelled until they were hoarse and you were lucky to be able to snag a $75 single ticket from a scalper because it was always sold out. Certainly it was the NIT so I understand a bit, but I thought we would roll out because of the snub. Sadly, despite what Dave implied, we did not.

On the NIT, the rules changes make the morgue that GIA has become even more sad. Don’t mess with college basketball.

Still fun to see all the massive changes around Stillwater. It’s no longer just a little town with a Univerity, that campus is transforming so fast that every six months something new pops up. Fun night despite my disappointment in the crowd.
The earlier midweek games were pulling like 2000 and only a smattering of students. We did rollout. Tons of students and like almost 5500?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Congrats, Pokes!

STILLWATER — From the time Oklahoma State began summer workouts in the second week of June until this past Sunday, the NIT wasn't brought up.
It’s why Mike Boynton struggled to sleep Sunday night, thinking about his players and the psychological challenge of getting motivated to play in college basketball’s secondary postseason event.
“All we ever talked about was playing in the NCAA Tournament,” Boynton said. “You literally get as close as we thought we got and to not make it is a hard thing to overcome. But those kids again showed the type of character they have, the type of care that they have for each other and this program.”
Read more here.

I hope I am not breaking board protocol by posting an image, but thought you'd all like to see the lead image with the story too. If this is against board rules, please let me know and I won't do it again. And now, Mitchell Solomon...

leadimage.jpg

See 40+ game photos here.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The earlier midweek games were pulling like 2000 and only a smattering of students. We did rollout. Tons of students and like almost 5500?

Sadly, if that is rolling out, then we have indeed fallen all the way off the map (preaching to the choir as I haven't been doing my part for a long time either). Back in the day that would be a normal crowd for a non-con against someone really bad, play someone in the non-con like Tulsa and we would fill. Obviously we filled for EVER big 8/12 game in the Sutton Era anyway. Maybe you know this...maybe not, but it is a HUGE massive, not even close to sniffing it, difference in terms of our crowd support...for those that say it's the crowd support...who knows...Maybe they have a great point.

Aug 8, 2008
OKC
I think everyone was disappointed with the NIT nod. That said, as these boys played their hearts out throughout the season, crowds increased and the rowdy definitely returned. I think people are really happy with Mike Boynton. If he recruits well, the crowds will return. I'm very encouraged!

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Sadly, if that is rolling out, then we have indeed fallen all the way off the map (preaching to the choir as I haven't been doing my part for a long time either). Back in the day that would be a normal crowd for a non-con against someone really bad, play someone in the non-con like Tulsa and we would fill. Obviously we filled for EVER big 8/12 game in the Sutton Era anyway. Maybe you know this...maybe not, but it is a HUGE massive, not even close to sniffing it, difference in terms of our crowd support...for those that say it's the crowd support...who knows...Maybe they have a great point.
Oh I know. Been there in the Sutton days when it was still rocking. But compared to the rest of this season that is rolling out and just 3 thousand more people makes a difference on TV and in person.

Mar 8, 2010
Oh I know. Been there in the Sutton days when it was still rocking. But compared to the rest of this season that is rolling out and just 3 thousand more people makes a difference on TV and in person.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I can remember one season during the Sutton era, going to a GIA/NIT game thinking I could walk right in and buy a ticket at the counter and had to wind up buying one from someone on the street because they were officially sold out. Now those were the good old days (except it was a year when we didn't make the NCAA) but the crowd support was still there.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I can remember one season during the Sutton era, going to a GIA/NIT game thinking I could walk right in and buy a ticket at the counter and had to wind up buying one from someone on the street because they were officially sold out. Now those were the good old days (except it was a year when we didn't make the NCAA) but the crowd support was still there.[/QUOTE]It will come. As long as this team keeps doing their thing the next year and Boynton recruits well it'll be fine.