NIT: Cowboys vs FGCU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Opponent: [7] Florida Gulf Coast (23-11, 12-2 ASUN)
Date / Tipoff: March 13, 2018 / 8 p.m. CT
Site: Gallagher-Iba Arena (Capacity: 13,611)
Series: First Meeting
Tickets: okstate.com/tickets or 877-ALL-4-OSU
TV: ESPN2 (Chuckie Kempf, Tim Welsh)
Webcast: ESPN3.com or WatchESPN app
Radio: Cowboy Radio Network (Dave Hunziker, John Holcomb)
Satellite Radio: TBA
Live Stats: okstate.statbroadcast.com
OSU Game Notes

The Basics
Oklahoma State (19-14, 8-10 Big 12) earned the program's 40th postseason berth and will host Florida Gulf Coast while seeking win No. 20 on the season in the opening round of the National Invitation Tournament on Tuesday night. The Cowboys earned a No. 2 seed, which matched its highest NIT bid, while FGCU will enter Gallagher-Iba Arena as a No. 7 seed. Better known as "Dunk City" from its magical run to the Sweet 16 in 2013, FGCU is making its sixth straight postseason appearance, and features a dynamic guard in Brandon Goodwin. The ASUN Player of the Year just 16 points shy of breaking his own school record for ponts in a season.

On the Air
The matchup between the Cowboys and Eagles will air Tuesday on ESPN2 at 8 p.m. Central. Chuckie Kempf and Tim Welsh will handle the on-air duties. ESPN3.com and the WatchESPN app will carry the webcast. As always, Dave Hunziker and John Holcomb will have the Cowboy Radio Network call.

Dunk City Coming To Town
This will be FGCU's sixth straight postseason appearance dating back to a magical run to the Sweet 16 in 2013 that captured the national spotlight. That year, FGCU came to be known as "Dunk City" for its high-flying brand of basketball and its wins over No. 2 seed Georgetown (78-68) and No. 7 seed San Diego State (81-71) to become the first No. 15 seed to ever advance to the Sweet 16. No. 3 seed Florida ended FGCU's run with a 62-50 win at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, but that season sparked a revival of the program. The Eagle also
advanced to the NCAA Tournament in 2016 and 2017, and appeared in the NIT in 2014 and 2018. FGCU participated in the CIT in 2015. FGCU is believed to be the only program in NCAA history to make the postseason in six of its first seven years in Division I.

Dominating The ASUN
Since 2013, FGCU has won three Atlantic Sun regular season titles (2013, 2016, 2017) and three ASUN Tournament titles (2014, 2017, 2018). Last week, FGCU nearly overcame a 32-point deficit in the ASUN Tournament title game, but their comeback bid fell short in a 108-96 loss to No. 2 seed Lipscomb, which earned the league's automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament and will face No. 2 seed North Carolina on Friday.

Dynamic Guard
FGCU guard Brandon Goodwin was named the Atlantic Sun Player of the Year after a standout redshirt senior season. The Norcross, Georgia native entered the ASUN Tournament as one of just eight players nationally to lead his team in points (18.6 ppg), rebounds (5.6 rpg) and assists (4.8 apg). He set the program record with 629 total points scored in 2016-17, and at 614 points this season, is only 15 shy of tying that mark in 2017-18.
http://okstate.com/news/2018/3/12/mens-basketball-nit-stages-first-ever-meeting-with-dunk-city.aspx

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Thanks for starting the thread.

Here's a link to Mark Cooper's preview.

STILLWATER — Mike Boynton wore shorts to practice Monday with the plan to physically exert himself alongside his team if his players were lacking motivation.
Twenty-two hours after they learned they were not going to the NCAA Tournament, though, Oklahoma State scampered around the auxiliary practice gym at Gallagher-Iba Arena like any other practice before a game.
“Really pleased with their excitement about practicing,” Boynton said. “That’s probably the biggest challenge, is to get excited about doing something that you really didn’t want to do, especially when the thing you want to do is about to happen also.”

Oklahoma State never pictured itself in the NIT, but now that it’s in the secondary tournament of the postseason, its focus has shifted to finding a way to Madison Square Garden.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Well....we are a heavy favorite so I expect a W. I watched 1 game of FGCU and they didn’t impress me much at all. We should win by 10 or more if we get rolling.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm leaving for Stillwater in about an hour and I'm pumped to let these young men know we appreciated their efforts this year.

Cowbot

Wrangler
Jun 30, 2009
U-verse shows Baylor vs Wagner on espn 2. Hopefully this will change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Gotta be a misprint in there. How'd they win the ASUN tournament in 2018 and end up in the NIT?
It was. Right after that, in the blurb is says: Last week, FGCU nearly overcame a 32-point deficit in the ASUN Tournament title game, but their comeback bid fell short in a 108-96 loss to No. 2 seed Lipscomb, which earned the league's automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament and will face No. 2 seed North Carolina on Friday.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
FGCU ranks #13 in FG% and #30 in scoring offense, but they had one of the easiest schedules in college basketball (SOS was 305 of 351 according to Sports Reference and 325 of 351 according to Haslametrics). When you account for SOS (as Haslametrics does), their FG% ranks 89th (good but not extraordinary) and their scoring ranks 135th.

Unless we come out with no energy, I think we will blow them out. They lost to Oral Roberts by 19 points and their best win is over UT Arlington. They've also lost 3 of their last 6. Here's a summary of the data from Haslam.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
Btw, FGCU is in the same league as Stetson and FGCU beat Stetson twice. Stetson is coached by former OSU player Corey Williams, who was on Scott Sutton's staff at ORU for 8 years. I imagine that we reached out to Corey Williams for our scouting report.