Nick Saban vs. Mike Gundy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
So last year between 9 to 14 (depending upon the data you believe) UNARMED black men were killed by police. That number is about 1/2 of the number of UNARMED white people killed by police. I don't at all dispute that any number of deaths is a tragedy. But is 1/month an epidemic?
I only listed south Chicago, but that city alone is about 40x that.
Well that does represent 0.000058% of the Black male population in the US.
Also, just for perspective last year, 89 law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty last year.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Edumacate me and show me the statistics that an unarmed black man is more likely to be killed by police than an unarmed white man or hispanic. If you're going to put these assertions out there, don't do so like it's common knowledge, be prepared to back it up.

I mean, anyone with half a brain knows what this opportunism regarding turning the George Floyd murder into his sainted martyrdom is all about.
[QUOTE="Jostate, post: 4087472, member: 1044

Here you are from the USA today let me guess you don’t believe their reporting.

Attachments

Mar 11, 2006

First, recommend you read the June 22nd WSJ which reports no racial disparity in police shooting.

But let’s use your data. Black Americans are shot more by police. And 9 unarmed black Americans died last year by police. Not sure how you are getting at a epidemic. Can you explain?

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

No I disagree with your hyperbolic choice of words.

You said police killing of black people by cops was an "epidemic". Pointing out it is proportionately higher, relative to the population, than white people is quite a different thing than an epidemic. A number of diseases, car accidents, suicides, homicides by other black people, all significantly outweigh death by cop as risks to black people. That doesn't mean we don't have some issues to address but people don't yet have to courage to discuss the issue honestly and using words like "epidimic" to describe these numbers is just not being honest.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Well that does represent 0.000058% of the Black male population in the US.
Also, just for perspective last year, 89 law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty last year.
For perspective as well based upon your logic, consider the fact only 4000 US citizens were killed due to terrorism in 20 years, in those same 20 years the US govt spent nearly 1 trillion dollars to fight terrorism. I could make an argument in lieu of fighting terrorism, we should focus on stopping white people from overdosing on opiods since in 2018 alone 35000 white people overdosed on opiods. I wonder if you would back that line of thinking.

Attachments

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
First, recommend you read the June 22nd WSJ which reports no racial disparity in police shooting.

But let’s use your data. Black Americans are shot more by police. And 9 unarmed black Americans died last year by police. Not sure how you are getting at a epidemic. Can you explain?

Let me ask you a question ...since george floyd was not “SHOT” by police instead he was strangled would his death show up in a category of “SHOT” by police statistic? Think back to a college statistics course if you can.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
For perspective as well based upon your logic, consider the fact only 4000 US citizens were killed due to terrorism in 20 years, in those same 20 years the US govt spent nearly 1 trillion dollars to fight terrorism. I could make an argument in lieu of fighting terrorism, we should focus on stopping white people from overdosing on opiods since in 2018 alone 35000 white people overdosed on opiods. I wonder if you would back that line of thinking.
Terrorism is a little different matter. I think we overdo things and would take my chances getting on a plane with scaled back intrusion there. If we didn't spend as much money trying to stop terrorism it's hard to know what the numbers would be. I suppose a case could be made that the deaths are that low because we spend that money.

As far as the opioids, I probably should care more, but it hasn't effected me very directly and likely won't. Nice try with a couple of random straw men though.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta

Did you research how the 9 people were calculated? You do release this involves self reporting and not all police departments report which means the number is likely higher. I used the term epidemic because someone else wrote it I’ll say this its a problem and if you don’t think so that’s on you. Not going to change my mind and I’m not trying to change yours.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Terrorism is a little different matter. I think we overdo things and would take my chances getting on a plane with scaled back intrusion there. If we didn't spend as much money trying to stop terrorism it's hard to know what the numbers would be. I suppose a case could be made that the deaths are that low because we spend that money.

As far as the opioids, I probably should care more, but it hasn't effected me very directly and likely won't. Nice try with a couple of random straw men though.
If something doesn’t affect you, you don’t care.... hmmmm got it. 1 trillion for 4000 deaths though seems like not a good return on investment based upon your logic thats less than 1 percent of the population.

Mar 11, 2006
Let me ask you a question ...since george floyd was not “SHOT” by police instead he was strangled would his death show up in a category of “SHOT” by police statistic? Think back to a college statistics course if you can.
I typed “shot” because that is nearly 95% of police involved deaths. I assume you know that.

Seems like you are trying to worm your way out of explaining by semantics. You stayed that police killing of unarmed black Americans was an epidemic. I supplied fact that last year that number of unarmed black Americans was nine (9). I ask again, can you explain how this is an epidemic?

I think you know the answer is that it is not an epidemic. And to me that is a problem. There are a couple of YouTube videos of people being asked if police killing black people is on the rise and how often it happens. Nearly to a person people say it is on the rise and numbers in the several thousand. Why are people so misinformed ... the media. The media is using fear mongering to push an agenda. You for one fell for it. There is not an epidemic and police killings are on the decline.

The police officer who killed George Floyd is rightly being charged, but the narrative behind police killing black people is false.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
If something doesn’t affect you, you don’t care.... hmmmm got it. 1 trillion for 4000 deaths though seems like not a good return on investment based upon your logic thats less than 1 percent of the population.
That's why I said I probably should care more, but race is something you are born into, opioid addiction is a different matter. Doesn't have anything to do with the issue being discussed here.

Mar 11, 2006
Did you research how the 9 people were calculated? You do release this involves self reporting and not all police departments report which means the number is likely higher. I used the term epidemic because someone else wrote it I’ll say this its a problem and if you don’t think so that’s on you. Not going to change my mind and I’m not trying to change yours.
That’s too bad. Would like for more to have courage to speak truth to power. There are too many willfullY ignorant people or just people that would rather ignore facts.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
I typed “shot” because that is nearly 95% of police involved deaths. I assume you know that.

Seems like you are trying to worm your way out of explaining by semantics. You stayed that police killing of unarmed black Americans was an epidemic. I supplied fact that last year that number of unarmed black Americans was nine (9). I ask again, can you explain how this is an epidemic?

I think you know the answer is that it is not an epidemic. And to me that is a problem. There are a couple of YouTube videos of people being asked if police killing black people is on the rise and how often it happens. Nearly to a person people say it is on the rise and numbers in the several thousand. Why are people so misinformed ... the media. The media is using fear mongering to push an agenda. You for one fell for it. There is not an epidemic and police killings are on the decline.

The police officer who killed George Floyd is rightly being charged, but the narrative behind police killing black people is false.
Why would you ASSume I know what YOU meant. Blaming media is a lazy concept. People believe what they want if you don’t like the media stop consuming it.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
That’s too bad. Would like for more to have courage to speak truth to power. There are too many willfullY ignorant people or just people that would rather ignore facts.
We have lots of people who base things off of opinion and not facts! We have a president who does it all of the time! People just pick and choose which facts they like and ignore the others.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

I once saw a young kid in a klan sheet. It made me sick. It's unfair to that kid and unfair to the black people he will interact with later in life.

Similarly I have seen a couple of instances on TV lately of small black kids crying because they are scared to leave the house for fear of being shot by cops. This doesn't rise to the same level but I think it does the kid a tremendous disservice and it's not fair to the police. And it's not fact based at all.

Mar 11, 2006
I once saw a young kid in a klan sheet. It made me sick. It's unfair to that kid and unfair to the black people he will interact with later in life.

Similarly I have seen a couple of instances on TV lately of small black kids crying because they are scared to leave the house for fear of being shot by cops. This doesn't rise to the same level but I think it does the kid a tremendous disservice and it's not fair to the police. And it's not fact based at all.
Agreed. It is sad. That fear is their truth.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta

Its not my place to tell people what they should fear. Life isn’t fair. I control only what I can control. You will interact with some great people and others should be flushed down the toilet. People don’t have empathy for things that don’t affect them.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Its not my place to tell people what they should fear. Life isn’t fair. .
Right but statistically a small unarmed child has many, many more threatening things in the world than being shot by a cop. I can be afraid of space aliens if I want but it's not fact based.