NFL Combine Invites

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
This again... (Rolls eyes)
I think Tyron should have stayed one more year, too, but I think Tyron saw something in the upcoming class that said "make your move".

Tyron didn't have that great of a year, but maybe he's thinking he'll get on a late pick or practice squad somewhere. I hope he does.

And it would be kinda nice if kids can transfer all over the place, they should be able to come back and play if they don't get drafted.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
This again... (Rolls eyes)
I think Tyron should have stayed one more year, too, but I think Tyron saw something in the upcoming class that said "make your move".

Tyron didn't have that great of a year, but maybe he's thinking he'll get on a late pick or practice squad somewhere. I hope he does.

And it would be kinda nice if kids can transfer all over the place, they should be able to come back and play if they don't get drafted.
Well, deciding to leave early because he has a better chance with this class than the next class is kinda silly. Trying to compare the WRs coming out this year to the WRs coming out next year is pure speculation, at best. Further, it doesn’t account for the league’s needs after retirements and cuts from the NFL this year versus the same needs after retirements and cuts next year.

Coming out a year early because the draft is deeper in the following year might make sense if you’re a first or second round guy to maximize signing dollars. But for a likely undrafted free agent, it makes zero sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Well, deciding to leave early because he has a better chance with this class than the next class is kinda silly. Trying to compare the WRs coming out this year to the WRs coming out next year is pure speculation, at best. Further, it doesn’t account for the league’s needs after retirements and cuts from the NFL this year versus the same needs after retirements and cuts next year.

Coming out a year early because the draft is deeper in the following year might make sense if you’re a first or second round guy to maximize signing dollars. But for a likely undrafted free agent, it makes zero sense.

What makes sense is that if he makes an NFL roster he’ll make almost $400k. If he doesn’t, and so chooses he could pay <$10k to come get his degree. It’s a good gamble IMHO. He’s not getting into the top 2 rounds this year or next, so there is no point to “improve his draft stock”. Most would agree that if he doesn’t have what it takes to make an NFL roster now, he won’t next year either. Why not take a shot when you’re coming on strong and healthy? At this point the risk of leaving too soon is probably equal to the risk of coming back.

I believe the most successful people in life, business or sports, are the ones that has a strong self-belief and are willing to take risk to get what they want. So the kid thinks he has a shot at the pros... I don’t understand what motivates a grown man to go on a message board and criticize a kid for chasing his dreams. (Not singling out anyone but there are a lot on here that do) I’m sure he is well aware of the pros and cons of going early. We as fans should appreciate his time here and wish him the best. Anything else comes off as self-serving and petty.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

What makes sense is that if he makes an NFL roster he’ll make almost $400k. If he doesn’t, and so chooses he could pay
I believe the most successful people in life, business or sports, are the ones that has a strong self-belief and are willing to take risk to get what they want. So the kid thinks he has a shot at the pros... I don’t understand what motivates a grown man to go on a message board and criticize a kid for chasing his dreams. I’m sure he is well aware of the pros and cons of going early. We as fans should appreciate his time here and wish him the best. Anything else comes off as self-serving and petty.
I would agree that if he can’t make it this year, he probably won’t make it next year. On the other hand, if he can make it this year, he can make it next year. All the more reason to stay and get your degree. And the argument that going this year gets you another year of NFL pay isn’t a real argument. Well, because, that’s not true unless you have a very long career and retire only when you can no longer physically produce. In that case, the first year salary for an undrafted FA becomes almost meaningless. Otherwise, a 3, 5 or 7 year career is there either this year or next. But I think we can all agree, as long as he’s pursuing the NFL, he’s likely not gonna get his degree.

It may turn out okay, but he’s not making a wise decision based on the reasonably foreseeable possibilities.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I would agree that if he can’t make it this year, he probably won’t make it next year. On the other hand, if he can make it this year, he can make it next year. All the more reason to stay and get your degree. And the argument that going this year gets you another year of NFL pay isn’t a real argument. Well, because, that’s not true unless you have a very long career and retire only when you can no longer physically produce. In that case, the first year salary for an undrafted FA becomes almost meaningless. Otherwise, a 3, 5 or 7 year career is there either this year or next. But I think we can all agree, as long as he’s pursuing the NFL, he’s likely not gonna get his degree.

It may turn out okay, but he’s not making a wise decision based on the reasonably foreseeable possibilities.

I see it the other way around. The shorter the career the more valuable that one year is. The average length of an NFL career is 3.3 years. You have a limited time to make what you can. He will make more than 10x than a recent grad. He still has the opportunity to finish his degree no matter how likely or unlikely... Hell for that matter I’m not his guidance counselor, he might not be on track to graduate anyways... \_(ツ)_/¯

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I see it the other way around. The shorter the career the more valuable that one year is. The average length of an NFL career is 3.3 years. You have a limited time to make what you can. He will make more than 10x than a recent grad. He still has the opportunity to finish his degree no matter how likely or unlikely... Hell for that matter I’m not his guidance counselor, he might not be on track to graduate anyways... \_(ツ)_/¯
Okay, let’s assume a 4 year career. You’d rather be out of the NFL at 26 with no degree, or in the NFL making $750k at 26 with a degree?

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Okay, let’s assume a 4 year career. You’d rather be out of the NFL at 26 with no degree, or in the NFL making $750k at 26 with a degree?

Two can play that.
Assume a 1 year. You would rather have a degree and no shot at a career in the NFL than $400k and the opportunity to go back to school?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Two can play that.
Assume a 1 year. You would rather have a degree and no shot at a career in the NFL than $400k and the opportunity to go back to school?
He has the same chance to make it next year as he does this year. Your scenario, for comparison purposes, is ridiculous.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
He has the same chance to make it next year as he does this year. Your scenario, for comparison purposes, is ridiculous.

Is it though? That would mean that there is zero risk of injury next year and yet in your scenario he has zero chance of getting his degree later. I could say that yours is equally ridiculous because you’re only looking at the reward not the risk.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Is it though? That would mean that there is zero risk of injury next year and yet in your scenario he has zero chance of getting his degree later. I could say that yours is equally ridiculous because you’re only looking at the reward not the risk.
And furthermore, there is no guarantee that he gets his degree if he came back next year.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

good grief. get over it all ready. he's gone. i've never seen someone so butt hurt over a player leaving early. let a guy make his own decision and then pull for him to succeed.......

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

good grief. get over it all ready. he's gone. i've never seen someone so butt hurt over a player leaving early. let a guy make his own decision and then pull for him to succeed.......
And your comments heretofore have been so eloquent and well founded. What happened?

Pffffft.....