NFL Combine Invites

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
If you’re gonna “what if”, you gotta cover all the what if’s.

His NFL chances are about the same either year no matter how you slice it. His chances of career ending injury are about the same no matter how you slice it. So the only real issue is, does he capitalize on the opportunity to get a degree and play another year of college football, or pass on that for the same relative risk/reward? That is a no-brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did cover the all of the what if’s.

If his career ending injury happens in the nfl he gets paid for the year ... over $300k. He can go back to college and finish his degree.

If his career ending injury happens. In college he can get his degree but cannot go pro.

Obviously his dream is to play in the league, he sees no chance of improving his draft stock. So that is 100% risk / no reward. If the dude’s dream is to play in the league, whats to hold him back?

No brainer indeed.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
If you’re gonna “what if”, you gotta cover all the what if’s.

His NFL chances are about the same either year no matter how you slice it. His chances of career ending injury are about the same no matter how you slice it. So the only real issue is, does he capitalize on the opportunity to get a degree and play another year of college football, or pass on that for the same relative risk/reward? That is a no-brainer.

I did cover the all of the what if’s.

If his career ending injury happens in the nfl he gets paid for the year ... over $300k. He can go back to college and finish his degree.

If his career ending injury happens. In college he can get his degree but cannot go pro.

Obviously his dream is to play in the league, he sees no chance of improving his draft stock. So that is 100% risk / no reward. If the dude’s dream is to play in the league, whats to hold him back?

No brainer indeed.
Where’s the:
If he never makes a roster but spends 3 years trying just to have a career ending injury in training and never decides to go back to college....

If he stays another year, works on his route running, has a Biletnikoff season and gets drafted in the 2nd round.....

Objectively, he has the same chance to make it in the NFL in 2020 as he does in 2019.

Objectively, he has the same chance of getting injured in the NFL before he gets established as he does getting injured in his last year of college.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Where’s the:
If he never makes a roster but spends 3 years trying just to have a career ending injury in training and never decides to go back to college....

If he stays another year, works on his route running, has a Biletnikoff season and gets drafted in the 2nd round.....

Objectively, he has the same chance to make it in the NFL in 2020 as he does in 2019.

Objectively, he has the same chance of getting injured in the NFL before he gets established as he does getting injured in his last year of college.

The problem with your whole argument is that he always, under every scenario, has the ability to come back and finish school if he chooses.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Where’s the:

The problem with your whole argument is that he always, under every scenario, has the ability to come back and finish school if he chooses.
And we all know how often that actually happens

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
I think the Josh Stewart scenario is what some of us posters fear.

Tyron has been in college for 4 years. He should have a degree or almost, so little investment to complete if need be.

I understand if Tyron is worried about new OC, new QB, and if the whole season is Tylan (like the start of 2018).

He finished 2018 with a lot more targets per game than he started. Or at least the stats look like that.

I think Tyron made a good decision if 2020 WR class is loaded like it looks to be.

Where as, Stewart opted pro to be in a stacked WR class after a season of nagging injuries.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
The thing I see is that his opportunities are better to be drafted next year from a team that will be much better than this year, win-loss wise. He will be the #2 receiver with a whole season to show his stuff. This past season he didn’t seem to turn it on until the second half of the season. A larger body of work on a more successful team would help his stock.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
At least if he doesn’t make a team as an I drafted free agent, he will 2 other pro leagues that will give him an opportunity to prove himself

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The thing I see is that his opportunities are better to be drafted next year from a team that will be much better than this year, win-loss wise. He will be the #2 receiver with a whole season to show his stuff. This past season he didn’t seem to turn it on until the second half of the season. A larger body of work on a more successful team would help his stock.
Even with an enormous jump he won’t be in the top 2 rounds.There is not much difference between round 3 and an UDFA rookie minimum in terms of salary. Assuming he makes a team as at least as a UFA. Another year here would cost him $450,000.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
His biggest risk is a career ending injury - which can happen at any level. He could return for his Sr season and have a career ending injury, but he’d have a degree. Or he could leave and have the same career-ending injury risk, but then not have a degree. In either case his chances of making an NFL roster is about the same. His risk of injury is about the same. This is a bad decision - IMO.
If he hasn't gotten his degree, he can always come back and finish it. Everyone is different. For some a fifth year of school is worthwhile, for others it isn't.