NFL Combine Invites

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
That is a pretty big blow to his chances. He had to be looking forward to lining up against other WR’s. Obviously OSU will have a pro-day.
I think he will get a shot, but it is looking like it will be a tough row to hoe. It is always easier to cut an undrafted free agent than someone you spent a pick on.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Philip Lindsay didn't even get invited to the combine. There was absolutely zero chance in the world Corndog was getting invited to the combine.

Johnson will have some teams work him out & likely get a camp invite out it, then it's on him to make an impression.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Tyron made a huge mistake. He was all set to be a top two receiver next fall. Now what? Did he hire an agent?
I disagree. I’m not sure he could improve his draft stock enough to truly matter. Yes another solid season would make it better but at that point you have to weigh the possible upside with possible downside. Wallace will be the number 1 and TJ would be the number 2. Just like this season. I think he has shown teams what he is capable of when he had the ball thrown his way.
Take into account he will have a relatively unknown at QB, dual threat for that matter. We will be starting a new OC. There is always the risk of injury.
He’ll be able to workout in front of scouts at Hill’s Pro day. He will still likely get drafted late or sign a UDF and probably make a 52.

I think he would have made an improvement but not enough to launch him into the top 3 rounds... after round 3 there is not that much drop in salary for the rest of the draft and rookie minimum for UFA.

KC will be defensive minded in the draft this year but will be turning over some WRs as well. I could see them picking him up late or bringing him in as a UFA.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I disagree. I’m not sure he could improve his draft stock enough to truly matter. Yes another solid season would make it better but at that point you have to weigh the possible upside with possible downside. Wallace will be the number 1 and TJ would be the number 2. Just like this season. I think he has shown teams what he is capable of when he had the ball thrown his way.
Take into account he will have a relatively unknown at QB, dual threat for that matter. We will be starting a new OC. There is always the risk of injury.
He’ll be able to workout in front of scouts at Hill’s Pro day. He will still likely get drafted late or sign a UDF and probably make a 52.

I think he would have made an improvement but not enough to launch him into the top 3 rounds... after round 3 there is not that much drop in salary for the rest of the draft and rookie minimum for UFA.

KC will be defensive minded in the draft this year but will be turning over some WRs as well. I could see them picking him up late or bringing him in as a UFA.

Well said. People are also saying the 2020 WR draft could be the best in years.

I think it's confusing for people because conventional wisdom on when to go in the draft is changing. When Joe Randle left, for instance, alot of people asked why. Now, with Hill doing the same thing, it feels like more people understand that he really can't improve his stock significantly by coming back for his senior year. Now granted, Johnson doesn't have nearly the production that those 2 had in 3 seasons, but all the reasons you listed don't really point to Johnson being able to do enough to break into the perceived elite group of WR's in college next year.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/30/the-2020-wr-class-could-truly-be-historic/

With guys like Wallace, CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Laviska Shinault, Tee Higgins & Henry Ruggs coming out next year, plus a few others who emerge, the draft is loaded at WR.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
Most people think getting drafted in the 4th round is better than the 6th round and it is but the salary isn’t that much of a difference. Anytime a player is drafted after the 4th round the agent will tell you that the second contract is where you make your $. Tyron Johnson made the right decision he probably wasn’t gonna move into the first three rounds regardless of this upcoming season. Any chance an athlete has an opportunity to go pro they should take it. A perfect example of this is Rodney Anderson.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Here’s what people are missing

20 years from now, especially if his NFL career isn’t significant and doesn’t set him up financially, he’ll regret passing up the final year of the “best years of your life”. Guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

20 years from now, especially if his NFL career isn’t significant and doesn’t set him up financially, he’ll regret passing up the final year of the “best years of your life”. Guaranteed.

I don't think people are really missing that. It's fairly understood & being discussed that this is a risk on his part.

He could also regret coming back for next year & suffering a significant injury.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I don't think people are really missing that. It's fairly understood & being discussed that this is a risk on his part.

He could also regret coming back for next year & suffering a significant injury.
Interesting. I haven’t seen one single comment in that regard.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
All the comments heretofore have been only about football. I’m talking about life and a career outside football.

A player must do what’s best for his career not his school. The window to play in the NFL is very short. You say he’s missing out on his “last” year of fun well Johnson looks at as another year of not getting paid. These athletes especially football players must take advantage of getting paid as soon as possible. He’s a redshirt JR I imagine he’s close to a degree. If he goes to the league for only like a few years he will make more money in that time frame than most college grads do in their lifetime. It’s a risk for sure but it’s the right choice. He’s young, raw, and healthy most people just want him to come back to help OSU but let’s say he did and got seriously hurt then he wouldn’t have the opportunity he has now.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
All the comments heretofore have been only about football. I’m talking about life and a career outside football.

Fair enough, I see your point.

I guess I kind of assume that his life after football is implied in a discussion like this.

Hopefully it's not a decision he regrets.

As for that last year, I know plenty of former players who would've jumped at the chance to leave early. After 3 & 4 years of college athletics, some guys are just over it & want it done.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

A player must do what’s best for his career not his school. The window to play in the NFL is very short. You say he’s missing out on his “last” year of fun well Johnson looks at as another year of not getting paid. These athletes especially football players must take advantage of getting paid as soon as possible. He’s a redshirt JR I imagine he’s close to a degree. If he goes to the league for only like a few years he will make more money in that time frame than most college grads do in their lifetime. It’s a risk for sure but it’s the right choice. He’s young, raw, and healthy most people just want him to come back to help OSU but let’s say he did and got seriously hurt then he wouldn’t have the opportunity he has now.
His biggest risk is a career ending injury - which can happen at any level. He could return for his Sr season and have a career ending injury, but he’d have a degree. Or he could leave and have the same career-ending injury risk, but then not have a degree. In either case his chances of making an NFL roster is about the same. His risk of injury is about the same. This is a bad decision - IMO.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
His biggest risk is a career ending injury - which can happen at any level. He could return for his Sr season and have a career ending injury, but he’d have a degree. Or he could leave and have the same career-ending injury risk, but then not have a degree. In either case his chances of making an NFL roster is about the same. His risk of injury is about the same. This is a bad decision - IMO.

You act like if he goes to the NFL and it doesn’t work out that college was a waste and can’t get a degree. $12k on a student loan isn’t bad.
Say he comes back to school and has a career ending injury. He leaves with a degree. Lands a $50k Job.

Say he goes to the NFL makes $300k has a career ending injury. Comes back spends 12k gets a degree and has the time of his life...

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

You act like if he goes to the NFL and it doesn’t work out that college was a waste and can’t get a degree. $12k on a student loan isn’t bad.
Say he comes back to school and has a career ending injury. He leaves with a degree. Lands a $50k Job.

Say he goes to the NFL makes $300k has a career ending injury. Comes back spends 12k gets a degree and has the time of his life...
If you’re gonna “what if”, you gotta cover all the what if’s.

His NFL chances are about the same either year no matter how you slice it. His chances of career ending injury are about the same no matter how you slice it. So the only real issue is, does he capitalize on the opportunity to get a degree and play another year of college football, or pass on that for the same relative risk/reward? That is a no-brainer.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
If you’re gonna “what if”, you gotta cover all the what if’s.

His NFL chances are about the same either year no matter how you slice it. His chances of career ending injury are about the same no matter how you slice it. So the only real issue is, does he capitalize on the opportunity to get a degree and play another year of college football, or pass on that for the same relative risk/reward? That is a no-brainer.

It may not be a no-brainer for everyone. Like I said, guys get done with the college experience, while old guys like us wax nostalgic about it.

Moving on to the career ending injury part, he'd get to finish school at OSU & receive no $. If it happens in the NFL, he'll get paid a little & can finish a degree.

I can see both sides of the coin here.