Next Year!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2008
I feel like Thomas Dziagwa could be setting up for one of these "Mitchell Solomon" type senior seasons. Where no one really expected much from him but he came out and was a much improved and well-rounded player. Solomon was really impressive and a big contributor his senior year especially compared to his previous years.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I feel like Thomas Dziagwa could be setting up for one of these "Mitchell Solomon" type senior seasons. Where no one really expected much from him but he came out and was a much improved and well-rounded player. Solomon was really impressive and a big contributor his senior year especially compared to his previous years.
do you not know Dizzy's stats on the year? He's only .6 ppg from being our leading scorer, as a Junior.

I don't see how he can improve much on 11.7 ppg. no knock on either player, but I think it's apparent that Dizzy's JR season was much, much better than what we saw from Mitch's JR season.

Dizzy should be solid and be a big contributor, but hopefully our 3 Seniors get fewer minutes, just because we'll have a bench this year.

Seriously, you guys are thinking that Dizzy will significantly improve on last season? (most improvement for a player happens between seasons 1 and 2, or 2 and 3, depending on redshirt status)

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I hope you're right, but I just think the comparison here is a little off.

Solomon's minutes were much easier to come by in the post & there was virtually nobody else to compete for those. Dziagwa has experience, no doubt, but more guys to compete with for playing time.

Mar 27, 2008
I hope you're right, but I just think the comparison here is a little off.

Solomon's minutes were much easier to come by in the post & there was virtually nobody else to compete for those. Dziagwa has experience, no doubt, but more guys to compete with for playing time.
That's a good point.

Nov 6, 2010
do you not know Dizzy's stats on the year? He's only .6 ppg from being our leading scorer, as a Junior.

I don't see how he can improve much on 11.7 ppg. no knock on either player, but I think it's apparent that Dizzy's JR season was much, much better than what we saw from Mitch's JR season.

Dizzy should be solid and be a big contributor, but hopefully our 3 Seniors get fewer minutes, just because we'll have a bench this year.

Seriously, you guys are thinking that Dizzy will significantly improve on last season? (most improvement for a player happens between seasons 1 and 2, or 2 and 3, depending on redshirt status)
I think his 3 pt percentage will improve, but points will go down. He won't play as many minutes, so his legs will be under him. And he won't have to shoot as many bad shots next year because we'll have more options for scoring. His PPG will go down, but he will be much more effective, IMO.

Oct 22, 2015
Tampa
I think he will average double figures but be more effective. He will have fresher legs as not playing so many heavy minutes and also we have more shot creators on the floor which will help his spot up game. His spacing will be vital with the play makers we have and only help their game also. I see him getting good minutes.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
It's almost basketball season and there's a few updates this week.

First, from Frank Bonner II on the freshmen...

Four of the six freshmen Oklahoma State signed last year took their official visit together, and that’s where their bonding started.

Former Memorial high school standouts Kalib and Keylan Boone joined Marcus Watson and Avery Anderson III in Stillwater.

Chris Harris Jr. and Hidde Roessink from The Netherlands complete the OSU freshman class, with graduate transfer Jonathan Laurent also joining the fold to help OSU enter this season with a top-25 recruiting class.
Here's a look at the OSU schedule, which includes Syracuse, Wichita State and a road trip to Tulsa.

And, on a pro note, Markel Brown is now with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Sep 23, 2010
I am excited to see an infusion of talent to the workmanlike attitude they had last year. Will these young guards be able to be aggressive while taking care of the ball? Will they handle playing tough games, game in game out in conference season?

I am hoping for NCAA birth and bubble team at worst. But it will be fun to see the improvement and growth.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
A few OSU basketball updates from this week...

Coach Mike Boynton coaches forward Kalib Boone to focus on his quickness in the post

“He’s a pretty quick guy for a guy his height,” Boynton said after practice on Saturday. “Not try to worry about overpowering people but just play to his strengths, so to speak, which is right now his foot speed, his agility and then obviously being a guy who can get around guys and get offensive rebounds.”
UMass graduate transfer Jonathan Laurent brings another veteran voice to the locker room

OSU has three senior captains in Cameron McGriff, Lindy Waters III and Thomas Dziagwa but Cowboys coach Mike Boynton said Laurent has some different leadership qualities than those three.

“They’re speaking more about what the program has been through and what it’s going to take here,” Boynton said of his captains. “He’s talking about his experience and where he may have fallen short in his journey and how that, maybe, can stop them from getting in trouble from a production standpoint or development standpoint.”
And, on an OSU women's basketball note...

Muldrow girls basketball standout Taylen Collins apparently is ready to follow her father to Stillwater.

Her father, Terry Collins, started on the Cowboys’ 1995 Final Four men’s basketball team, and is Muldrow’s current boys basketball coach.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Dizzy will still start and likely get 20+ minutes per game. His experience is invaluable as well as his vision and passing ability. Then, obviously, his shooting.

His defense is obviously his weakness and while I expect it to have gotten better, I don’t think he is suddenly going to have more fluid hips or quicker feet.

Still, the positives grossly outweigh the negatives and there isn’t anyone else that can match or exceed his overall production.

Dec 21, 2016
Stillwater ok
Im too excited for next year (1 month away) honestly. The freshmen adding depth and talent to a hard nosed experienced core team is mouth watering. If they can all gel well, it'll be awesome. Im trying to temper my excitement by saying 1.) they'll make freshman mistakes....turnovers, defensive lapses etc. But just watching Marcus Watson in practice, his overall game is not freshman-like, he'll be a big contributor i think. But the guy im most excited about is Avery Anderson. He came in skinny but has already put on some weight. A lot to love about his game, the playmaking passes (will lead to some turnovers sometimes unfortunately), the crossover dribbles and head fake to open up driving lanes to either pass, layup or shoot, hes obviously worked on, and his speed. I think he'll surprise some.

Anyways, bring on the first game. Im pumped.

Nov 6, 2010
Dizzy will still start and likely get 20+ minutes per game. His experience is invaluable as well as his vision and passing ability. Then, obviously, his shooting.

His defense is obviously his weakness and while I expect it to have gotten better, I don’t think he is suddenly going to have more fluid hips or quicker feet.

Still, the positives grossly outweigh the negatives and there isn’t anyone else that can match or exceed his overall production.
I think the minutes will be more matchup driven. We had no choice but to play him last year, but this year, I think if he doesn't have anyone he can defend/match up with on the other team, he'll sit in favor of one of the more athletic or bigger players. That said, if there is a favorable matchup, I think he will get around 20 per game for the reasons you listed.

Sep 23, 2010
I think Watson starts over Dizzy and Dizzy brings us buckets off the bench. Waters can do a few more things than Dizzy, but he still a knock down shooter without blow by skills. Ice still isn't a knock down shooter.

I see Anderson and Dizzy pairing well off the bench. Not sure about where Chris Harris is on this....he's talented shooter as well.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I think the minutes will be more matchup driven. We had no choice but to play him last year, but this year, I think if he doesn't have anyone he can defend/match up with on the other team, he'll sit in favor of one of the more athletic or bigger players. That said, if there is a favorable matchup, I think he will get around 20 per game for the reasons you listed.
It certainly is matchup driven. I just don’t know who can provide as many points as Dizzy...or if there is someone that can have as equal an impact on the defensive side.

I like Watson as an athletic scorer but I don’t think he’ll play the 2. He doesn’t have the outside shooting needed. So you’re moving Waters to the 2 and playing Watson at the 3.

With Likekele at the 1 and Anei at the 5, that doesn’t leave much offense on the floor. It certainly takes away from the outside threat which lets defenses sag into the paint, taking away what makes guys like Likekele and Watson so good on offense.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
I think Watson starts over Dizzy and Dizzy brings us buckets off the bench. Waters can do a few more things than Dizzy, but he still a knock down shooter without blow by skills. Ice still isn't a knock down shooter.

I see Anderson and Dizzy pairing well off the bench. Not sure about where Chris Harris is on this....he's talented shooter as well.
I think the rush to put Dizawga on the bench is going to cause a lot of heartburn for you non-believers.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I think its a good problem to have last year there was no decisions to be made and while the heart that team showed was amazing their gas tanks couldn't hold up towards the end of the season. Bringing in 3 to 4 guys that will for sure be competing for playing time will make everything a little easier.