Next Year!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
I see both Harris and for sure Watson as better prospects than Laurant even with his experience, could be completely off here. Both of those guys have the build to be contributors early really depends on how they develop as the season rolls on. Just my $0.02.
I see Laurant as playing purely the 4, so I don't see them competing for the same minutes.

Oct 30, 2007
Have to get Yor some help! Resting him with a 6’6” guy playing center is not going to work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
Have to get Yor some help! Resting him with a 6’6” guy playing center is not going to work great.

I think Kalib Boone will be the back up 5 right now. Pretty thin right now but a capable rim protector. But not as many teams play in the low post anymore. Kansas would pose problems. But it's nice having athletic 5's that can move because they tend to guard the ball screen (a far more used action) better.

But I agree, we are little thin up front.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I think Kalib Boone will be the back up 5 right now. Pretty thin right now but a capable rim protector. But not as many teams play in the low post anymore. Kansas would pose problems. But it's nice having athletic 5's that can move because they tend to guard the ball screen (a far more used action) better.

But I agree, we are little thin up front.
Agreed. And although I would prefer to never have a 6-6 player in the post, it can be passable for short periods to rest taller guys. And as you say, few teams have true 7 footers and few teams use the 5 as a true low post, back to the basket scorer anymore. Also, Mario Boggan was a very effective 5 for us at 6-7 (though his width and strength helped him overcome the height disadvantage).

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Agreed. And although I would prefer to never have a 6-6 player in the post, it can be passable for short periods to rest taller guys. And as you say, few teams have true 7 footers and few teams use the 5 as a true low post, back to the basket scorer anymore. Also, Mario Boggan was a very effective 5 for us at 6-7 (though his width and strength helped him overcome the height disadvantage).
Ivan McFarlen(sp?) wasn't over 6'7"either

Jun 14, 2011
Boggan practiced and scrimmaged with a 50 pound weight vest on! He was a hoss.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Marshall Moses also says hello.

UVA & Villanova just won the last 2 titles, with a player listed at 6'10" as the tallest guy to actually play.

You can do just fine in today's game with 6'6" guys in the post. As you said, the back to the basket guys are becoming more & more the unicorns of basketball, even at the NBA level.

Sep 23, 2010
Best of luck to him. Just curious but is this late to be entering the transfer portal?
When did school get out for OSU? He had to be seeing all the guards being brought in along with already being behind 3 guards last year. Maybe Coach Boynton waited til the end of the school year to give him the news where he sat on the depth chart.

Mar 27, 2008
When did school get out for OSU? He had to be seeing all the guards being brought in along with already being behind 3 guards last year. Maybe Coach Boynton waited til the end of the school year to give him the news where he sat on the depth chart.
Yeah, that's why I was curious because it seems like his decision is a little late in the process. Maybe it was out of left field from him and was a surprise to Coach Boynton. Or maybe Coach Boynton got news on our final recruit who would be bumping Jones even further down the depth chart and so he decided to transfer? Who knows...

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Yeah, that's why I was curious because it seems like his decision is a little late in the process. Maybe it was out of left field from him and was a surprise to Coach Boynton. Or maybe Coach Boynton got news on our final recruit who would be bumping Jones even further down the depth chart and so he decided to transfer? Who knows...
I think it had more to do with Jones figuring out whether he would be able to transfer as a grad-transfer, and not have to sit out, since he's out of eligibility time (can't sit out another year)

Reportedly he still has a bit of work to do to graduate.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I’m thinking Boynton isn’t telling players where they sit on the depth chart based on recruiting. There have been lots of times we’ve had 2 star recruits come in and beat out 4 star guys on the depth chart.

Can’t just go by stars. I’d like to have players on this team that are confident they can earn playing time or work hard to get better rather than transfer at the first sign of a recruit being signed at their position. Hopefully we have that now, but only time will tell.

Oct 22, 2015
Tampa
Jones was asked to leave the program, combination of failed drug test and him just not getting the same minutes as last year
I think you guys are wrong on Dziagwa, I don't see Harris coming in and taking his minutes If you remember Zach Dawson came in as a 4 star recruit and couldn't sniff the court. Not saying Harris wont play but very rarely do all Freshman come in from a recruiting class and play a lot. And a lot of people are saying 4 out of the 5 are going to get good minutes. I believe Dziagwa is going to play a good amount over 20 minutes a game. he may be the smartest player we have as far as knowing what everyone is supposed to do, and our most vocal leader. If his minutes were going to drop down crazy Coach Boynton would have told him he would be better of grad transferring. Also I expect him to drastically improve as he did from year 2 to 3.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Jones was asked to leave the program, combination of failed drug test and him just not getting the same minutes as last year
I think you guys are wrong on Dziagwa, I don't see Harris coming in and taking his minutes If you remember Zach Dawson came in as a 4 star recruit and couldn't sniff the court. Not saying Harris wont play but very rarely do all Freshman come in from a recruiting class and play a lot. And a lot of people are saying 4 out of the 5 are going to get good minutes. I believe Dziagwa is going to play a good amount over 20 minutes a game. he may be the smartest player we have as far as knowing what everyone is supposed to do, and our most vocal leader. If his minutes were going to drop down crazy Coach Boynton would have told him he would be better of grad transferring. Also I expect him to drastically improve as he did from year 2 to 3.
Well said. Dziagwa also played with a torn ligament in his shooting hand and still played pretty well.