Next Year!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 29, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I just want to be able to field a competitive team again

It's truly sad seeing how mediocre we've been in the last 15 years or so. I'm a believer in coach Boynton to turn this around in the next 2 years, but last year's tournament snub is gonna be a killer for coach if this next season doesn't end in a NCAA bid. Go Pokes.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
When have we ever had a one and done? I would love to have a lottery pick grace Sutton Court for one season.
IF we land Isaiah Todd, he would most likely be the first. It's looking less and less like that is going to happen.

Also, Gerald Green would've been that, had he not gone straight to the NBA.

Nov 6, 2010
I guess it depends on if they turn out to be one and done or if they were thought to be at that level. I know many thought both LeBryan Nash and Juwan Evans were at that level.

Mar 27, 2008
The more I look at it the more I really like our chances to make some noise next year. I can't remember the last time the Big12 looked this wide open.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Latest on OSU basketball from Kelly Hines...

Mike Boynton has added coaching veteran Erik Pastrana to the Oklahoma State staff, the university announced Tuesday.

A native of Miami, Florida, Pastrana comes to Stillwater after spending this past season at Florida Atlantic, helping the Owls to their first winning record since 2010-11. He also coached alongside Boynton at Stephen F. Austin during the program’s 89-14 stretch that included a pair of NCAA Tournament upset victories.

“I am beyond excited to be able to add Erik to our staff,” Boynton said in a statement. “Erik and I worked together for three years and helped to take a strong program to new heights. I would put his ability to evaluate talent and connect with young people at the very highest levels of our profession.

“He has a relentless work ethic and has experienced a great deal of success throughout his time in college basketball. Erik knows our region really well, but also has the ability to help us continue to expand our reach as a program. I look forward to having him on board to help us in our pursuit of sustained excellence.”

Oct 30, 2007
Makes you wonder if that's his decision or the coaches urging him to "try another opportunity"
I really doubt it. Last year 6 players left the program due to dismissal, transfer, or leaving the program early. This year we will have lost 5 players including Demuth. Losing that many players could be really costly for the retention side of the APR. I hope we don't lose scholarships or face a postseason ban down the road from all this movement.

My guess is he's leaving due to lack of playing time and Kontaxis being fired. (He was his primary recruiter.)

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I really doubt it. Last year 6 players left the program due to dismissal, transfer, or leaving the program early. This year we will have lost 5 players including Demuth. Losing that many players could be really costly for the retention side of the APR. I hope we don't lose scholarships or face a postseason ban down the road from all this movement.

My guess is he's leaving due to lack of playing time and Kontaxis being fired. (He was his primary recruiter.)
So would Calloo coming back help the APR?

I agree with you though about all the defections being concerning.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa

As long as he is in good academic standing when he leaves it does not affect our APR. Now those knuckleheads who got the boot may be a different story.

Oct 30, 2007
So would Calloo coming back help the APR?

I agree with you though about all the defections being concerning.
As long as he is in good academic standing when he leaves it does not affect our APR. Now those knuckleheads who got the boot may be a different story.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/academic-progress-rate-explained
The APR is calculated as follows:
  • Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
  • A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.
  • In addition to a team’s current-year APR, its rolling four-year APR is also used to determine accountability.
It's my understanding that the APR score is based off academic progress and player retention. Whenever a player leaves the program before graduating due to any reason, you lose a point for failing to retain the player. At least that's my understanding of the rule. Assuming this is correct, retaining Calloo should help the APR, and losing Demuth should hurt it.