Next Year!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
...and then gave Will Bynum *just enough* space to drive past him and lay it in. I hate watching that. It's so frustrating, even now. I sincerely believe we could've beaten UConn. IMac would've shut down Okafor, and Tony Allen would've shut down Ben Gordon.
I don't think Imac would've shut down Okafor at all, especially given Schenser's performance in the semifinal.

Jun 14, 2011
I still don't understand why Janovar was not in the game for the final possession.
The human pogo-stick would have had a much better chance on defense there. Also, as I recall, Tony had fouled out by that point on some pansy-ass calls. They had a guy hit 5 three's in the first half, which he hadn't done all year and Big Red was winning the battle against IMAC in the paint. Damnit, this whole conversation brings back some great and completely crushing memories.

Camping out for a week to get tickets was amazing and a huge party with all the people that were there. I'm glad I got to go with some friends to that game, even though we were light headed from lack of oxygen due to how high up in the stands we were. And, man, walking around trying to sell our tickets to the NC game on Monday was humiliating. (yes, we could have stayed but we were done with basketball at that point)

Mar 27, 2008
OVER or UNDER for next year? Feel free to add your thoughts or reasons why.

-Yor Anei 85 blocks

-18 wins overall

-6th place Big12 Finish

-NCAA Tournament Appearance

-2020 recruiting class ends up rating even higher than 2019

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

-Yor Anei 85 blocks

-18 wins overall

-6th place Big12 Finish

Over - I think he's hit stride, 90
Over - 21 or 22 with a win in NCAA
Over - 5th
Over - at least one win
Even - hard to say either way

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010

-Yor Anei 85 blocks

-18 wins overall

-6th place Big12 Finish

I think Yor has less blocks just because he won't have to play as many minutes. The rest, I'll take the over.

Oct 30, 2007
Yor Anei 85 blocks - Over. It's hard to imagine him not having more than this year unless he gets hurt. (Knock on wood)

18 wins overall - Over. Hopefully we'll have a little bit easier non-conference schedule.

6th place Big 12 Finish - Over. I could see us going 9-9. That was good for 5th this past season.

NCAA Tournament Appearance - Over. This really needs to happen for the future of the program.

2020 recruiting class ends up rating even higher than 2019 - Under. This one is tough to call. Our 2019 class is ranked 23rd. It could easily be a top 20 class if we add another player. We have a good start to the 2020 class, but recruiting might be a little tougher after our last season. This is another reason why it's really important to make it back to the NCAA tournament.

I feel like a sunshine pumper. I sure hope I'm right though. :koolaid:

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
I'm a little surprised by some of the freshmen expectations here. None of the guys we are bringing in are one & done talents. All of them are borderline NBA prospects at best (basketball is not football, there are far fewer surprises on who develops into a potential pro). They are distinctly better coming out of HS than anyone in our last few classes and have great upside, but anyone anticipating elite level play from them next season is not holding to realistic expectations of the players we're bringing in.

Big 12 Freshmen 2018-2019

PPG:
1. Devon Dotson (Kansas) - 12.3
2. Talen Horton-Tucker (Iowa State) - 11.8
3. Derek Culver (West Virginia) - 11.5
4. Jared Butler (Baylor) - 10.2
5. Jaxson Hayes (Texas) - 10.0

Dziagwa averaged 11.7.

For an incoming freshmen to take his position from a scoring perspective, they would have to be a top performing freshmen in the whole conference. I am not anticipating that and I do not believe the scouting reports suggest that. Watson is physically prepared to play, but he has a lot to develop in his shooting game to average 10-12 ppg.

RPG:
1. Kevin Samuel (TCU) - 6.9
2. Jaxson Hayes (Texas) - 5.0
3. Talen Horton-Tucker (Iowa State) - 4.9
4t. Isaac Likekele (Oklahoma State) - 4.8
4t. Yor Anei (Oklahoma State) - 4.8

This is another reason I think Likekele will retain his starting spot, he is an all around player. Additionally, I think this shows some expectations on Kaleb Boone. Given he lacks the size of Anei, Samuel, and Hayes, though he is a more fluid player, I don't see him pulling in 5 boards a game. Tucker at ISU has about 30 pounds on him as a guard. I know Kaleb will get some muscle when he arrives in Stillwater, but I think it is reasonable to expect a full year or 2 before his body starts to fill out.

APG:
1. Isaac Likekele (Oklahoma State) - 3.9
2. Tyrese Haliburton (Iowa State) - 3.6
3t. Devon Dotson (Kansas) - 3.5
3t. Jamal Bieniemy (Oklahoma) - 3.5
5. Courtney Ramey (Texas) - 3.0

The Big 12 didn't have the most dominate traditional point guard play. Only 1 player (Alex Robinson at TCU) averaged more than 4 assists per game (he had 7.1). Anderson, from what I have seen, is a more modern, scoring point guard. I expect Likekele to keep his starting position for that reason as well, as we may look toward a more traditional inside-outside offense with Anei coming on strong late in the season. I think it is more likely we see Likekele & Anderson share the court at times to add more explosiveness to create some mismatches.

I think Boynton found long, athletic guys who are all really good at a thing or two, but none of them are develop players ready to leap out of the box into Big 12 starters. I think that is reading the deserved excitement for these young men and then taking it too far.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
I'm a little surprised by some of the freshmen expectations here. None of the guys we are bringing in are one & done talents. All of them are borderline NBA prospects at best (basketball is not football, there are far fewer surprises on who develops into a potential pro). They are distinctly better coming out of HS than anyone in our last few classes and have great upside, but anyone anticipating elite level play from them next season is not holding to realistic expectations of the players we're bringing in.

Big 12 Freshmen 2018-2019

PPG:
1. Devon Dotson (Kansas) - 12.3
2. Talen Horton-Tucker (Iowa State) - 11.8
3. Derek Culver (West Virginia) - 11.5
4. Jared Butler (Baylor) - 10.2
5. Jaxson Hayes (Texas) - 10.0

Dziagwa averaged 11.7.

For an incoming freshmen to take his position from a scoring perspective, they would have to be a top performing freshmen in the whole conference. I am not anticipating that and I do not believe the scouting reports suggest that. Watson is physically prepared to play, but he has a lot to develop in his shooting game to average 10-12 ppg.

RPG:
1. Kevin Samuel (TCU) - 6.9
2. Jaxson Hayes (Texas) - 5.0
3. Talen Horton-Tucker (Iowa State) - 4.9
4t. Isaac Likekele (Oklahoma State) - 4.8
4t. Yor Anei (Oklahoma State) - 4.8

This is another reason I think Likekele will retain his starting spot, he is an all around player. Additionally, I think this shows some expectations on Kaleb Boone. Given he lacks the size of Anei, Samuel, and Hayes, though he is a more fluid player, I don't see him pulling in 5 boards a game. Tucker at ISU has about 30 pounds on him as a guard. I know Kaleb will get some muscle when he arrives in Stillwater, but I think it is reasonable to expect a full year or 2 before his body starts to fill out.

APG:
1. Isaac Likekele (Oklahoma State) - 3.9
2. Tyrese Haliburton (Iowa State) - 3.6
3t. Devon Dotson (Kansas) - 3.5
3t. Jamal Bieniemy (Oklahoma) - 3.5
5. Courtney Ramey (Texas) - 3.0

The Big 12 didn't have the most dominate traditional point guard play. Only 1 player (Alex Robinson at TCU) averaged more than 4 assists per game (he had 7.1). Anderson, from what I have seen, is a more modern, scoring point guard. I expect Likekele to keep his starting position for that reason as well, as we may look toward a more traditional inside-outside offense with Anei coming on strong late in the season. I think it is more likely we see Likekele & Anderson share the court at times to add more explosiveness to create some mismatches.

I think Boynton found long, athletic guys who are all really good at a thing or two, but none of them are develop players ready to leap out of the box into Big 12 starters. I think that is reading the deserved excitement for these young men and then taking it too far.
Glad you posted this. There are people on this board that actually believe Likekele will be coming off the bench next year.

Nov 6, 2010
Glad you posted this. There are people on this board that actually believe Likekele will be coming off the bench next year.
I think the optimism with the incoming class, at least from my perspective, has more to do with what they'll add to our existing core team. Someone posted a chart of what the conference is losing this year from graduation and it was pretty staggering. We don't lose anyone. And the core group of guys we've got coming back next year was competitive down the stretch even being so short handed. We'll have 4 seniors to shoulder the majority of the load, but when they need a rest, we'll have talented freshmen to bring in and give them that break instead of a walk on, or just making them play for 39 minutes a game. And I like the fact there's not a one and done type in the group. Hopefully means we'll have a good group of juniors and/or seniors in a few years that have gelled as a team.

Dec 21, 2016
Stillwater ok
I think the optimism with the incoming class, at least from my perspective, has more to do with what they'll add to our existing core team. Someone posted a chart of what the conference is losing this year from graduation and it was pretty staggering. We don't lose anyone. And the core group of guys we've got coming back next year was competitive down the stretch even being so short handed. We'll have 4 seniors to shoulder the majority of the load, but when they need a rest, we'll have talented freshmen to bring in and give them that break instead of a walk on, or just making them play for 39 minutes a game. And I like the fact there's not a one and done type in the group. Hopefully means we'll have a good group of juniors and/or seniors in a few years that have gelled as a team.
I think this comment knocks it right on the head why there is such optimism for next year. Our existing team, while shorthanded, played some teams(teams who will be losing some players) down to the wire this year but just ran out of gas towards the end. Adding in talented freshmen, not expecting them to be world beaters, to shoulder some of the load is a welcome addition and can only enhance what we already have. Im optimistic for next year.....cautiously optimistic.

Sep 23, 2010
This year's team had some very good parts and strong character. Each player from our team, particularly the starting five, brought something valuable to a big 12 team. But, it needs a shot of athleticism and playmaking which seems like this new group can bring. We don't need any of the them to get 20ppg. We do need some of them to be able to beat their guy off the bounce. Make a play when the shot clock is going down. Give us depth in the paint with defense and rebounding. We were one of the better 3pt shooting teams already. We need some guys that make some plays off the bounce. Anderson, Watson and hopefully this Harris kid can do that.