Next Year!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Who said that Dizzy needs to be cut? He is of the Manzer/Bobik mold.

Watson has played as many games for OSU as Likekele, Anei, and Demuth combined this time last year.

Typical Ash post. Drama much?
it was said previously (pre-season and early season), by several, when we didn't have enough scholarships to provide for the incoming players.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Any chance the walk-on who saw the floor, and the football walk-on (Gabe?) would get a chance to walk on again, if they wanted? I know one was a former AAU player. Sorry, I don’t remember the other’s name.
I was wondering the same... but.... if we fill our scholarships at 13, the team can only be 15 deep; and with Little Country already one of those 2 walk-on spots, it doesn't seem that both could return (unless we don't fill all the scholarships and keep Trey on scholarship)

Sep 23, 2010
Here's what I'm thinking with what we currently know/believe we have available for next year.

Ice 25min - Anderson 20min
Watson 25min - Dizzy 15min
Waters 30min - Jones 5min

Cam 30min - Kalib Boone 20min
Yor 25min - DeMuth 5min

Another quaility guard pushes Jones out of rotation and limits Anderson/Dizzy minutes more.
Quality big eliminates DeMuth from rotation and lets Cam plays like 25-28min.

I think an outstanding goal for next year's team would be 9-9 in league and making the tournament.

Oct 30, 2007
Any chance the walk-on who saw the floor, and the football walk-on (Gabe?) would get a chance to walk on again, if they wanted? I know one was a former AAU player. Sorry, I don’t remember the other’s name.
https://www.reference.com/sports-active-lifestyle/number-players-basketball-team-644f1d8671b66ca3
In college, the NCAA does not enforce roster size at the Division I level, though there is a limit of 13 scholarship players per school at once, with no limit on the number of walk-ons.

Unless this rule has changed, we shouldn't have any issues retaining our current walk-ons next season.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Surprised how many guesses have 4 or 5 of our current starters as starters for next year. I see at least 2 role players in our starting 5 when I watch other teams play or look back on past OSU teams.

Not sure how Watson isn’t starting by Big 12.

If Likekele doesn’t develop better handles, he will be a back-up. He still forgets the shot clock and dribbles into bad situations. I wouldn’t mind getting a Juco PG.

Christian Brown could be a huge get. I think he will be a 20 year old Freshman.

These are just guesses but they are fun to make and discuss.
LOL, ya ok dude..............:facepalm:

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I dont see how Dziagwa starts on this team next year. There is just way too much talent coming in ahead of him. Not only talent, but versatile talent.

Watson is going to be an incredible player for us. If we get Brown, it gets even more crowded for Dziagwa. We could run more two-PG rotations with both Ice and AAIII on the court at the same time and place Waters and Cam on the perimeter in a catch-and-shoot type offense.

Listen, I have a lot of respect for what Dziagwa did for us this year. He stepped up in a big way and ate up a lot of minutes for a team that desperately needed it. And, as we all saw throughout the year, his game greatly improved throughout the season.

But, you would have to be looking through some very strong orange glasses to think he is a Big 12 caliber starter. He just isnt. What he is is a guy who can come in for 15 minutes a game and pour in a bunch of threes and provide offensive sparks when needed.

These new guys coming in will allow him to do that. I personally think, as a result, we will see a better version of him next year as he will be allowed to roam around the perimeter more and find his shot.

Yeah, maybe Boynton gives him the senior bump to start the season and puts him in the starting rotation. But I just cannot imagine a scenario, short of injuries or dismissals, that Dziagwa is starting for this incredibly talented team by Big 12 play.

Our team is going to be incredibly athletic, physical, and talented next season. If the OP's starting five holds true, then so will his prediction of 5th or 6th in the BIg 12. However, if we play the players who are the most talented and give us the best chance to win, I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the mix at the end of the year.
he will play more than 15 minutes/game. he shoots the ball way to well not to. he should have a lot more open looks if the players coming in pan out like people think they will...........

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
LOL, ya ok dude..............:facepalm:
What he said isn't exactly wrong. Maybe the ball-handling tidbit is wrong, but Likekele definitely had some court-awareness and shot clock issues. And of course, his jump shot is basically not there. Avery Anderson DOES have a jump shot, and a great one.

That all being said, I still think Likekele is the starter.

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

Watson has played as many games for OSU as Likekele, Anei, and Demuth combined this time last year.

Bobik mold? do you even remember Bobik and how good he was? no comparison between Dizzy and Bobik (and I like Dizzy's game and how far he's come this year)..............

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
What he said isn't exactly wrong. Maybe the ball-handling tidbit is wrong, but Likekele definitely had some court-awareness and shot clock issues. And of course, his jump shot is basically not there. Avery Anderson DOES have a jump shot, and a great one.

he's a frosh and will only get better........... dumb ass statement

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
So, just read another story about the college admissions scandal and it turns out, the guy taking the tests for other people was, as of Thursday, the Director of College Exam Preparation for the past 13 years for....IMG Academy. The (in my mind) bogus basketball factory in Florida where it seems 9 of 10 kids who go there could not spell their name but can play hoops like nobody's business.

It will be real interesting to see if this fiasco extends to the guy admitting to cheating on tests for athletes trying to qualify for D1 teams. Not implying every kid who goes through IMG is somehow tainted, but with this guy's current charges, cannot help but wonder what else he did for extra cash.

I vaguely seem to recall we have had a few basketball kids come through from IMG, but cannot think of names off the top of my head and also think most left or were dismissed. None of our signed recruits are from IMG, nor does it appear any recruiting targets are from there. Running through OSU rosters since 2009, the only kids I see with IMG ties are Ford Stuen (who I barely recall despite being here four years from 2012-2016), and Kamari Murphy from 2012-2014. Should this turn out to be something (I can see this guy singing like a canary to reduce his sentence), any exposure we may POSSIBLY have appears to be dated and minimal. But every year there are top recruits from there so it will be interesting to see if the scandal does extend into NCAA sports.
I think that's a huge problem, and IMG Academy is *by far* not the only one guilty. The problem is, if these schools get raided and shut down or whatever, that hurts the overall product. All they need to do is get rid of the one-and-done rule, and that would make those places unnecessary.

Back on Tuesday, I was listening to Gary Parrish, the local Memphis sports radio guy. They got into talking about some of John Calipari's recruits when he was the coach here. Two of them, Joey Dorsey and Robert Dozier, came from a place called the Laurinburg Institute, and there are rumors that people took their college entrance exams for them. Keep in mind, this was also the allegation thrown at Derrick Rose.

Jun 25, 2011

Likekele finished 2nd in the Big 12 in assists per game. Not bad for a freshman.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

It's not wrong but it's also very easily attributed to freshman mistakes.

Mar 27, 2008
Hard for me to watch the Big12 tournament final. Just makes me miss when we used to be a great basketball program. Hope we can get there again soon.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
In referencing this thread's title...

Boynton ended OSU’s home schedule by grabbing a microphone and addressing the fan base. He expressed his desire to hang a banner — for a national championship — in Gallagher-Iba Arena.

Asked about it afterward, junior guard Lindy Waters simply replied “next year.”

But it must be one step at a time for a program that hasn’t had March success since the players in this year’s freshman class were 9 years old.

“I won’t put a time frame on it, but I wouldn’t expect Lindy to say anything different,” Boynton said. “This is it for him, so I’m glad that that’s the mindset he’s gonna have going into the summer. And now that I know that — because he didn’t tell me that — I have a chance to push him and remind him that that’s the goal he set, and it’s always better when the guys themselves set that bar because then you can hold them accountable a little bit better to keeping their word and working when some days maybe you don’t think that they have it.”

It will also be the last chance for McGriff, Waters and Thomas Dziagwa to experience a tournament victory, three years after they went as freshmen.

In some ways, it’s similar to Boynton’s senior year. He helped take South Carolina to the NCAA Tournament (where it lost to Memphis) in 2004 for the first time since 1998.

He said he’ll talk with his captains about the sense of urgency entering their final year.

“I always want our seniors to have the best experience because there’s absolutely nothing like this,” Boynton said. “There’s nothing like it. I know a lot of guys who play in the NBA and they make a lot of money. They don’t get this experience. There’s not this connection to each other that you find at a professional level.

“So we want those guys to maximize the enjoyment. They deserve to have a really good season, and I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure that happens.”

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007

You need to work on your memory and data retention, skippy.