Next Year!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Its about guarding people. The players that can stay in front of the other team will get the most minutes.
Guarding and rebounding > Scoring points.
JMHO
That’s not necessarily true. In fact, the way the game is moving, there is actually a lot more emphasis on scoring than playing defense...especially if you can hit three’s at a high clip.

Sep 23, 2010
I think the rush to put Dizawga on the bench is going to cause a lot of heartburn for you non-believers.
Won't cause me much heartburn. Dizzy's skillset is that of good sixth man. More like Glendon Alexander or Stevie Graham the year he was really good off the bench. One of those guys was McAA and the other played in the NBA, so I wouldn't be taking that as insult to Dizzy. He could still average double figures off the bench.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Dizzy will still start and likely get 20+ minutes per game. His experience is invaluable as well as his vision and passing ability. Then, obviously, his shooting.

His defense is obviously his weakness and while I expect it to have gotten better, I don’t think he is suddenly going to have more fluid hips or quicker feet.

Still, the positives grossly outweigh the negatives and there isn’t anyone else that can match or exceed his overall production.
I hope he spent as much time on his defense this summer as he did on his shooting last... he was an enormous liability in conference play because of his lack of defensive ability.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I hope he spent as much time on his defense this summer as he did on his shooting last... he was an enormous liability in conference play because of his lack of defensive ability.
I thought this was abundantly clear, but perhaps not.
I don’t know who it isn’t abundantly clear with. It’s pretty much well known that defense is his weak spot.

With that said, you have to look at the whole picture. If you sit him and play someone that is better defensively but isn’t going to both score as many points and lead to others scoring as many points, then is that trade-off worth it?

His offensive +/- last season was 3.8. Only Lindy had a higher rating at 5.5.

Dizzy’s defensive +/-, however, was -1.8. That brought his overall +/- down to 2.0.

Assuming his defense is a little better due to experience, gained strength, etc, let’s say he makes a modest D+/- improvement to -1.0. For giggles, we’ll only move his offensive +/- to 4.0. That means to bench him, you’d have to have a freshman guard or wing with a +/- of at least 3.1.

That’s quite an ask.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don’t know who it isn’t abundantly clear with. It’s pretty much well known that defense is his weak spot.

With that said, you have to look at the whole picture. If you sit him and play someone that is better defensively but isn’t going to both score as many points and lead to others scoring as many points, then is that trade-off worth it?

Dizzy’s defensive +/-, however, was -1.8. That brought his overall +/- down to 2.0.

Assuming his defense is a little better due to experience, gained strength, etc, let’s say he makes a modest D+/- improvement to -1.0. For giggles, we’ll only move his offensive +/- to 4.0. That means to bench him, you’d have to have a freshman guard or wing with a +/- of at least 3.1.

That’s quite an ask.
I was told there'd be no math.

No, you're right, defense is only part of the equation, but I do believe he's a huge liability there.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

That’s quite an ask.
I'm not advocating benching him... just hoping he worked on his defense as much as he worked on his shooting in 2018. The guy is capable of improving, obviously.

Sep 23, 2010
Dizzy can go back to the role where he should be. He plays 10-15min on nights he's not hitting and facing a very difficult defensive matchup, and might play 25min when he's on fire and hitting. This is the value of depth.

Nov 6, 2010
Dizzy can go back to the role where he should be. He plays 10-15min on nights he's not hitting and facing a very difficult defensive matchup, and might play 25min when he's on fire and hitting. This is the value of depth.
Exactly this, and it's not just about the numbers. When he is not over-exerting himself trying to defend a player he has no business matching up against, his shooting percentage will improve when he is on the floor. Then he might become the matchup problem for the other team, if they can't rest a better defender because he is raining threes. Like you say, the value of depth and options.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
The latest on OSU basketball from Frank Bonner II: A feature on Chris Harris Jr...

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State basketball freshman Chris Harris Jr. has made some major changes to his diet since joining the Cowboys, and one of the biggest was leaving Whataburger behind.

The 6-foot-3 guard from Dallas said he loves Whataburger and the honey barbeque chicken strip sandwich was his go-to meal while playing at South Garland High School. Harris has been in Stillwater for about four months now and has only had Whataburger once.

“No more honey barbeque chicken strip sandwiches for me,” Harris said on Monday.

“In high school, I ate whatever I wanted and I was still one of the best players. I know here you have to eat good, you have to sleep good in order to perform at your best.”

After treating the four-star recruit to some bacon cheese fries from Eskimo Joe’s on his official visit, OSU coach Mike Boynton made it clear to him that he was going to need to get in better shape.

“I knew from my official visit,” Harris said. “He said ‘You’re big.’ I was like, ‘Yes.’ He said ‘You’ll never look like this again.’ When I first got here on campus, when we took our pictures, he was like ‘Chris, you’ll never look like this again’ and that’s when I bought in.”

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Won't cause me much heartburn. Dizzy's skillset is that of good sixth man. More like Glendon Alexander or Stevie Graham the year he was really good off the bench. One of those guys was McAA and the other played in the NBA, so I wouldn't be taking that as insult to Dizzy. He could still average double figures off the bench.
Relatively speaking, I agree that Dizzy is a good 6th man on our current roster. But its laughable to compare Dizzy to Stevie Graham. Graham was an NBA-caliber player, and was STILL the 6th man on that roster. It just shows you how massively talented those teams were. No way Dizzy is even remotely close to NBA or McAA level of player.

Sep 23, 2010
Relatively speaking, I agree that Dizzy is a good 6th man on our current roster. But its laughable to compare Dizzy to Stevie Graham. Graham was an NBA-caliber player, and was STILL the 6th man on that roster. It just shows you how massively talented those teams were. No way Dizzy is even remotely close to NBA or McAA level of player.
I agree he's not sniffing the NBA, but he could get us double figures like those guys could was my point. Glendon wasn't near the athlete he once was after many knee injuries when he was at OSU. Stevie hardly played his junior year. Too many turnovers for Coach Sutton's liking.

Oct 30, 2007
Coach Boynton hired Barry Hinson as an analyst. :thumbup:

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...new-three-point-line-and-newcomers-136987646/
Boynton has added his first senior analyst in longtime Division I head coach and assistant coach as well as Oklahoma State graduate Barry Hinson. The native of Marlow, Oklahoma; Hinson arrived last week and they have been working out the details to his new role. He will be an analyst and work exclusively off the court but will assist the coaching staff in all phases of the program.

Mar 27, 2008
Cowboy Basketball Picked Sixth, It's Highest Big 12 Preseason Selection Since 2013-14

https://okstate.com/news/2019/10/17...big-12-preseason-selection-since-2013-14.aspx

2019-20 Big 12 Conference Preseason Poll (First-place votes)
1. Kansas (8) – 80 points
2. Baylor (1) – 71
3. Texas Tech (1) – 62
4. Texas – 57
5. West Virginia – 45
6. Oklahoma State – 42
7. Iowa State – 30
8. Oklahoma – 29
9. Kansas State – 23
10. TCU – 11

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Good morning; here's what we had in today's edition follow Big 12 basketball media day...

First, from Guerin Emig, on Coach Mike Boynton...

At Mike Boynton’s last two public appearances at Gallagher-Iba Arena, he talked of hanging banners and declared: “The time is now.” This is interesting, considering Boynton is coming off a 12-20 season, his second at Oklahoma State, in which he dismissed three players and backslid from a 21-win debut the year before.

If 12-20 didn’t ratchet up the pressure from fans and donors impatient for a return to the Eddie Sutton years, the banner-hanging, time-is-now chatter surely did.

I asked Boynton about that Wednesday on the floor of the Sprint Center, site of Big 12 Basketball Media Day, and he told me a story.

“In 1999, there were three McDonald’s All-American point guards in New York City, the year I graduated from high school there,” he said. “Omar Cook, who went to St. John’s, Andre Barrett, who went to Seton Hall, and Taliek Brown, who went to UConn and won a national championship. Those were three guys who played the same position I did, guys I competed against.

“One summer, those guys teamed up to play in a local tournament. Local tournaments in New York City are big, big deals. Well, we played them in the championship game. We won. And I was the MVP.

“So I’ve never cared about external optics or expectations. I’ve always put more on myself.”
Also from Guerin, more notes from Big 12 media day...

Coach Mike Boynton’s highly regarded freshman class includes Memorial twins Keylan and Kalib Boone. Any chance either might redshirt this season?

“There was a thought at one point, but they’ve been really impressive in practice,” Boynton said. “As I sit here today, I don’t think so. We’re still, technically, 2 ½ weeks from starting. We’ll see. But barring some injury, I don’t see that happening right now.”

Asked about the twins’ transition to the demands of his program, Boynton said: “Early on it hit Kalib really, really hard. I wasn’t sure, not that he wouldn’t make it to the season, but that we wouldn’t make it through the summer without having a conversation about redshirting. Weight issues, physicality, demands on his body. But he’s been really good through three weeks of practice.

“I actually thought Keylan would struggle more than he has. He’s actually taken very well to gaining weight. He’s over 200 pounds. He’s 206 now. And he’s got a versatile package of skills that I think will really help our team this year.”

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Cowboy Basketball Picked Sixth, It's Highest Big 12 Preseason Selection Since 2013-14

https://okstate.com/news/2019/10/17...big-12-preseason-selection-since-2013-14.aspx

2019-20 Big 12 Conference Preseason Poll (First-place votes)
1. Kansas (8) – 80 points
2. Baylor (1) – 71
3. Texas Tech (1) – 62
4. Texas – 57
5. West Virginia – 45
6. Oklahoma State – 42
7. Iowa State – 30
8. Oklahoma – 29
9. Kansas State – 23
10. TCU – 11
Wait wait wait...WVU as 5th in the conference? Can't be right. Nolaeer has them winning it all this year.