Next rifle acquisition . . .

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Well, I have never been a Remington fan (especially the last 10 or so years), but I think this will be my next rifle purchase - in 7mm Rem. Mag.; relatively soon.

My logic and criteria:
  • long-range capability
  • caliber with inherently high BCs
  • 26" heavy barrel to maximize ballistics and mitigate recoil
  • 8.5 lbs. rifle wt. helps mitigate recoil but is not unbearable (I do not want a muzzle brake)
  • synthetic/stainless combination for an all-weather rifle
  • 1:9.25 barrel twist - should favor longer/heavier-for-caliber bullets with higher BCs (all others are traditional 1:9.5 for 7MM)
  • modest initial cost - ~$1,000 to $1,200

Would likely be my first, last, and only Remington rifle. However, if it proves not to be an out-of-the-box tack driver, after market upgrades and gunsmiths for Remingtons are aplenty. If necessary, traditional bedding, pillar bedding, and a trigger job should get me there - true the action if necessary.

All the other likely contenders, such as CZ, Winchester, Savage, Sako, and Weatherby either:
  • wasn't offered in stainless
  • wasn't offered in 26" bbl.
  • were too light (less than 8 lbs.) or too heavy (over 9 lbs.)
  • had a lighter barrel profile
  • were only offered in styles/models that I don't prefer
The closest alternative to meeting all the criteria above was a Weatherby, but the initial cost on those models are double ($2,300+) or more. I figure that, if need be, I can spend a little to enhance the Remington and still have less expense than the Weatherby.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
I have a Remington 700 with several mods (trigger system), bolt, glass stock, etc. It's a tack driver at 1,000 yards. Why are you anti-Remington? I HATE (seriously HATE) their ammo. It's crap, but the 700 is one of the best platforms ever made IMO.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I have a Remington 700 with several mods (trigger system), bolt, glass stock, etc. It's a tack driver at 1,000 yards. Why are you anti-Remington? I HATE (seriously HATE) their ammo. It's crap, but the 700 is one of the best platforms ever made IMO.
I will concede that it once WAS. Recent QC issues are well documented, however. Today, they are kind of like Chevrolet of 15-20 years ago, not the best in terms of initial quality but after-market parts are abundant and every "mechanic" works on them.

Last edited:

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
I will concede that it once WAS. Recent CQ issues are well documented, however. Today, they are kind of like Chevrolet of 15-20 years ago, not the best in terms of initial quality but after-market parts are abundant and every "mechanic" works on them.
They've had a lot of issues their trigger system, yep. For me, it wasn't an issue... triggers are the first thing I replace on all my rifles (minus the shotgun).

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Have you looked at the 28 Nosler?
Yes I have Sig. While I am not solely interested only in calibers that ammo is offered at every Mom & Pop street corner vendor, I'm really not into the severe overbore magnums either. Kind of enamored with the "traditional" calibers and think that I can accomplish all I want with them. I seriously considered (and still am a little) the Nosler M48 rifle in 7mm Mag., but it is only offered in a 24" bbl., and I would prefer a 26".
I do think the Nosler 26,28, and 30 may stick, but I have my doubts about the new Weatherby 6.5-300 Mag. Barrel life really doesn't concern me that much with the newer magnums, but the recoil and muzzle blast are deterrents for me, and I would prefer not to use a muzzle brake.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
muzzle blast and recoil are deterrents for me, as well. My long range rifle will be the 6.5 Creedmoor. I'll not hunt at ranges that require a magnum caliber and the Creedmoor is a real 1,200 yard rifle. I'll have a match barrel for my Blaser R8 and will re-barrel a Ruger Hawkeye 243 to 6.5 CM for a light hunting rifle.
I am moving away from heavy recoiling calibers to lighter ones and will work on my riflemanship to be able to shoot game at reasonable distances. I will not shoot at any game animal at over 450-500 yards. If I can't get closer, I'll pass on the shot.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
that's an excellent rifle and is really causing lots of heartburn with custom gun makers. It shoots very well.

Feb 8, 2005
Tulsa
Finally got it. Range time last weekend. Fit and function were great. Shoots great as well. Borrowed glass off another rifle. Now time to buy some glass for her. Decisions, decisions- FFP vs SFP, etc

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Finally got it. Range time last weekend. Fit and function were great. Shoots great as well. Borrowed glass off another rifle. Now time to buy some glass for her. Decisions, decisions- FFP vs SFP, etc
I have this also in 6.5. I mounted a Nightforce ATACR F1 5-25X56 and love it. I am very surprised how well this shoots straight out of the box.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I have this also in 6.5. I mounted a Nightforce ATACR F1 5-25X56 and love it. I am very surprised how well this shoots straight out of the box.
Nice! Very nice!

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
7mm Rem. Mag..JPG

Finally "pulled the trigger" (pun intended). My first and last Remington. Sendero SFII in 7mm Rem. Mag.
Not sure what glass I will put on it, but will look at a NightForce NXS and Vortex Razor first. Will take my time. I am anal about researching and comparing side x side. Would consider some others, such as Kahles, U.S. Optics, but price will have its limitations.
Already have a replacement trigger on the way, Timney Calvin Elite, and will likely glass bed the recoil lug before I even start the break-in. Will readily re-crown it if necessary, but hopefully it will be a "shooter" and I wont have to have the bolt face and lugs squared or the chamber re-reamed. If I have to go that far, I might as well re-barrel it as the barrel must be threaded to match the chamber.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.

Until I get it in my hands, this picture will have to do. My latest acquisition. Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .257 Roberts. I kind of have an affinity for the "traditional" cartridges. Newer chamberings are largely reinventions of the wheel. I have a .25-06, but it is a lot of muss and fuss (muzzle blast) for such a minimal hop in velocity . . .if the .257 Roberts is loaded to its potential (~52,000 pressure range). Should make a very efficient and handy rifle for CXP2 and smaller game.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.

If you have seen previous posts of mine, you will know that I am an avid CZ fan. This particular make and model had been on my wish list for a long time. The stick on this one convinced me that the timing was right. CZ Model 550 Ultimate Hunting Rifle (UHR) in .300 Win. Mag.