New Season, New Team

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
The Russ-PG-Melo era begins tonight. I hope its not just a one year thing, and I hope its as explosive and fun as many fans have been dreaming about the last few months.

Thunder Up

Dec 19, 2012
Big 4? Kiwi had 12 points, 5 reb, 5 steals, and 3 blocks! Exactly what we need from him this year, albeit the Knicks suck- he did D Porzingis well at least once.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
Yeah I think some people were sleeping on much better a fully healthy Steven Adams would be this year. It wasn't perfect, but last night was fun to watch. Look forward to seeing it evolve and grow this year.

Dec 19, 2012
Last two games have been pretty sloppy, but still, I like what I am seeing from the stars. Just need get our rotations figured out.
I agree. The Utah game was especially bad. The T-Wolves game should of been a come back win that saw excellent play by Westbrook/Melo at the end. We were the recipient of a goofy offensive foul by Adams, and on the last play two blown calls with an illegal pick on PG13 who was covering Wiggins before his banked three (luck), and Tibs tried to call a timeout the refs missed when T-wolves didn't have one. Westbrook isoed way too much, but he was knocking crazy threes this game.

Keep in mind the Miami Heat after Lebron and Bosh got there, took most of the year to gel. Even Golden State last year with KD took most of the season until after KD's injury to really get good. It simply takes time for most stars to figure out each other's games, frames of mind, and in-game reactions. The new guys are also learning new offenses and defensive schemes.

Paul George's shot has not been firing on all cylinders, and Melo/Westbrook have been a bit inconsistent. No reason to worry yet!

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Yesterday Melo gave great public encouragement and reason, imho, for the inconsistency. It legitimately takes time for these three guys(and the rest of the team minus Adams) to figure out how this will work. Russ was super conservative the first couple games trying obviously to get the other big guys involved. He settled in more in the last two.

PG is shooting inconsistently, but except the Pacers game has been an awesome defender and contributor. I think it is harder than us plebs realize to gel. I remember the Heat struggling early on when Lebron and Bosh joined Wade. It takes a minute to gauge roles and how they want to contribute.

What made Melo's point so compelling was he said he told Westbrook that "we" came here for you. Meaning this is Westbrook's team and he needs to play like he is capable. They will follow and fit in around him.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
They do look terrible, but it's a long season. Give it some time. Adams has looked really good this year. We just need the big 3 to start hitting shots.
I think they need to learn to pass the ball better. Melo is guilty, but passing on your standard fade away mid range for a better look needs to be a habit.

Dec 19, 2012
I think they need to learn to pass the ball better. Melo is guilty, but passing on your standard fade away mid range for a better look needs to be a habit.
Yeah, on the plus side our defense has been terrific and I think shooting will come in time. I don't see anyway guys with the talent of our Big 3 shoot bad for the whole year. Felton and Grant have looked good too.

Mar 23, 2013
I do not know how a team can look so good against the Warriors and stink it up so badly against the Pelicans, Pistons and Mavs. Good grief they look inept on offense.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Welp, thought this team was something to get excited about this season, but I guess not. This team freaking blows and aren't even trying to get better. 0% chance Paul George will be here next year and I don't even know the details of Carmelo's contract and how long he was supposed to be here. This version of the Thunder is just going through the motions.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
Not sure what the answer is at this point. I am tempted to say its a Donovan issue because his rotations don't make much sense to me at times, but as the coach he is privy to info that I am not. So maybe I need to give him benefit of the doubt?

Melo doesn't seem to be meshing well with this group and has been super streaky with his shot. PG and Adams have been great. Russ has been Jekyll and Hyde. Rest of the role players have been ok but not great.

Presti has a doozy on his hands.

Mar 23, 2013
The Thunder scored 42 points in the 1st Quarter against the TWolves. I don't know what they did with the regular Thunder players, but the ones tonight are moving the ball really well. Hope they keep it up.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
First thing they need to try is not starting Melo. He is the one that doesn't seem to be getting it. Maybe better with him off the bench? At this point I'd trade him for Kanter back in a heartbeat.
The starters have actually been great in the 1st quarter. It's the rotations later in the game that have been terrible.

Total average scoring margin: +3.0 pts, 9th in NBA
1st qtr: +4.2 pts, 2nd in NBA
2nd qtr: +1.3 pts, 8th in NBA
3rd qtr: -1.8 pts, 23rd in NBA
4th qtr: -0.8 pts, 21st in NBA

Statistically, the team isn't bad. It's just that they have played horribly at key moments, which has cost them several games. IMO, that is all coaching, not personnel. Donovan's seat should be scorching hot right now.

Mar 23, 2013
Well, the ball stopped moving for most of the 2nd quarter and they only scored 22. This team is consistent at being inconsistent on the offensive end.