New Redshirt Rule: Auburn Somehow Botches It & Loses RB

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
https://sports.yahoo.com/auburn-rb-...f-accidentally-burned-redshirt-174024454.html

Wow, major screwup by Malzahn & Co. cost the 3rd ranked RB in the '18 class his freshman year.
Thanks for sharing. I feel like that article could've been a lot shorter, and simply said, "he appeared in more than four games, and therefore burned one year of eligibility". Nevertheless, yeah, that's sad that they didn't even know the rules.

Honest question: is that someone we could maybe steal? I feel like he could make a difference when Chuba is in his junior year.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Thanks for sharing. I feel like that article could've been a lot shorter, and simply said, "he appeared in more than four games, and therefore burned one year of eligibility". Nevertheless, yeah, that's sad that they didn't even know the rules.

Honest question: is that someone we could maybe steal? I feel like he could make a difference when Chuba is in his junior year.
I'd think he's gonna have plenty of choices.

The OC wound up at KU, so I don't think we'll see him land there, fwiw.

Feb 18, 2009
I love it when parents say "they didn't have "insert athlete" best interest at heart."

There isn't a "paid" coach out there that has every player's best interest in mind. They are paid to win and it's not just at the college level. I've witnessed it at the local high schools with multiple players in multiple sports. Those coaches all talk a good game but at the end of the day, they use, abuse and send the players on their merry way while a new batch of naive athletes and parents move up and fill the void.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I love it when parents say "they didn't have "insert athlete" best interest at heart."

There isn't a "paid" coach out there that has every player's best interest in mind. They are paid to win and it's not just at the college level. I've witnessed it at the local high schools with multiple players in multiple sports. Those coaches all talk a good game but at the end of the day, they use, abuse and send the players on their merry way while a new batch of naive athletes and parents move up and fill the void.
You gotta admit, though, for them not to be on top of the participation of such a highly rated recruit, this is a pretty big mistake.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I don't use Twitter. I hate it and think it's a cesspool of dogcrap...

THAT BEING SAID... :)

Any of you who are on there should maybe respond to his tweet about transferring, and maybe throw out OSU as a potential transfer destination. I've seen a few UAB people do that, as well as one OU person, as well as a Bama fan. It wouldn't hurt to try, right?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Totally agree. But we’d also agree that’s different than what his mom asserted.
I guess I missed your point.
“After the Mississippi State game is when another assistant coach said that he wanted to redshirt Asa,” Harris said. “At this point, he had played five games. I’m just blown away, because Asa and I and his dad already knew that Asa’s redshirt had already been burned in the Mississippi State game.”

Harris wouldn’t say which assistant coach spoke to her about that. She did say that an Auburn offensive assistant coach spoke to (Asa’s father) Rakesk Martin after the Tennessee game one week later, and Rakesk made that coach realize the redshirt was burned.

“We, his parents, made them see after they burned it that they had already burned it,” Harris said. “They still wasn’t like — they didn’t acknowledge the fact that they had burned it. It was like they didn’t know. Like what do you mean you don’t know?”​
“That made me realize that they didn’t have his best interest at heart,” Harris said. “That’s what it made me realize because there’s no way, again, at a D1 college that every stat, every play for play, every time you even take a snap that it’s not recorded.”

“I don’t know if this could hurt Asa or help him,” Harris said. “But I feel some type of way because Asa has a support system. What about the kids that doesn’t have a support system? And you, like, to mislead these kids, I feel like it’s so wrong and somebody has to take a stand and speak up for them. I don’t wanna hurt my son in any type of way, but at the same time, it’s not OK to mislead these kids.”​

Feb 18, 2009
I guess I missed your point.
We're on the same page. And she is correct about Asa having a support system who can help him through this when other players don't. I am not surprised though that it happened, especially with the new rule. Auburn's plan for him is/was as bad as our plan with our two unproven QB's.

My issue is with her comment that Auburn "didn't have Asa's best interest at heart." No they didn't, they're paid to have Auburn's best interest at heart and win games. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am not running on her at all, I hate it for her that they're having to deal with it but I wish more parents understood coming up that once you hit paid coaching staffs, the player is an expendable commodity and will be viewed as such.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
We're on the same page. And she is correct about Asa having a support system who can help him through this when other players don't. I am not surprised though that it happened, especially with the new rule. Auburn's plan for him is/was as bad as our plan with our two unproven QB's.

My issue is with her comment that Auburn "didn't have Asa's best interest at heart." No they didn't, they're paid to have Auburn's best interest at heart and win games. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am not running on her at all, I hate it for her that they're having to deal with it but I wish more parents understood coming up that once you hit paid coaching staffs, the player is an expendable commodity and will be viewed as such.
I gotcha. Thought I had missed something his mom said.