New OC thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
So you’re satisfied with the play of the OL in 2018? And you’re hanging your hat on that?

Doesn’t matter. Doesn’t look like Henson’s getting a promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do realize that most of the guys Henson recruited haven’t seen any playing time yet don’t you? I was satisfied with the o-line play late in the season. It takes a while for a line with new components to gel.

How can you say that it doesn’t look like Henson is getting a promotion? You might as well say that it looks like Gundy isn’t going to replace Yurcich, which would be ludicrous. I suspect that Gundy will announce the coaching hires after signing day so as not to upset the recruiting of whichever coaching staff at whichever school he will get his QB coach.

Oct 30, 2007
You do realize that most of the guys Henson recruited haven’t seen any playing time yet don’t you? I was satisfied with the o-line play late in the season. It takes a while for a line with new components to gel.

How can you say that it doesn’t look like Henson is getting a promotion? You might as well say that it looks like Gundy isn’t going to replace Yurcich, which would be ludicrous. I suspect that Gundy will announce the coaching hires after signing day so as not to upset the recruiting of whichever coaching staff at whichever school he will get his QB coach.
It's been almost 4 weeks now since Yurcich left. What's the benefit to waiting that long to name the OC if you're staying in house?

Oct 30, 2007
Agreed, but what’s the benefit of announcing it if you’re staying in house?
The coaching staff has been recruiting this entire time. Today was our first junior day. I would think that it would be beneficial to name Henson the OC if he's the guy. I'm sure some of our recruits are wondering who our next playcaller is going to be.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
The coaching staff has been recruiting this entire time. Today was our first junior day. I would think that it would be beneficial to name Henson the OC if he's the guy. I'm sure some of our recruits are wondering who our next playcaller is going to be.
They will know before they commit. They can always assume Gundy will do the job if no one else does.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
It's been almost 4 weeks now since Yurcich left. What's the benefit to waiting that long to name the OC if you're staying in house?
It’s a courtesy to the school from which he is poaching a coach so it doesn’t disrupt their recruiting. Gundy has been known to wait until after signing day to make the announcements. I disagree with his method but he’s the HC, not me.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
It’s a courtesy to the school from which he is poaching a coach so it doesn’t disrupt their recruiting. Gundy has been known to wait until after signing day to make the announcements. I disagree with his method but he’s the HC, not me.
Correct, since he’ll likely steal an OC or similarly qualified coach for the OC position. Might not have even interviewed his target(s).

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
Correct, since he’ll likely steal an OC or similarly qualified coach for the OC position. Might not have even interviewed his target(s).

I think Henson will be the OC. The QB Coach is the one that will get poached, probably Bodie Reeder from Eastern Washington. All of the principles know the details. It just hasn’t been made public.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I think Henson will be the OC. The QB Coach is the one that will get poached, probably Bodie Reeder from Eastern Washington. All of the principles know the details. It just hasn’t been made public.
Highly unlikely.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Highly unlikely.

You keep saying things like this with no reasoning for it. E X P A N D!!!!
If Henson and/or Dunn was going to be the new OC, they would be part of the search for a new QB coach. Further, you wouldn’t hire a new QB coach without disclosing to the new coach who the new QB coach’s OC was going to be, especially if he was already on staff. Further still, you wouldn’t be out in the market for a QB coach telling potential candidates to keep the name of the OC secret, again, if the OC was already on staff. Yet further still, If the OC was already on staff, what does not announcing such accomplish with signing date around the corner? And, do you want the entire coaching staff and families and other football staff burdened with keeping their mouth shut for no good reason?

I can find no logic in promoting someone within the current staff and keeping it secret for 4 weeks.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
If Henson and/or Dunn was going to be the new OC, they would be part of the search for a new QB coach. Further, you wouldn’t hire a new QB coach without disclosing to the new coach who the new QB coach’s OC was going to be, especially if he was already on staff. Further still, you wouldn’t be out in the market for a QB coach telling potential candidates to keep the name of the OC secret, again, if the OC was already on staff. Yet further still, If the OC was already on staff, what does not announcing such accomplish with signing date around the corner? And, do you want the entire coaching staff and families and other football staff burdened with keeping their mouth shut for no good reason?

I can find no logic in promoting someone within the current staff and keeping it secret for 4 weeks.

If Henson is the new OC and the search is already over for the QB coach then why does an announcement have to be made right now? Why not wait until after signing day, which is just around the corner? We know what Gundy thinks of fans’ opinions and recruiting for this class is pretty much finished. As far as secrecy, coaches have to be able to keep secrets because they can’t discuss recruits away from the job.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
I just really hope it’s not Henson. I know that’s probably not popular around here but he failed at Mizzou. The O-line still look awful at times last year. I want him to have our o-line issues fixed before he moves on.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

If Henson is the new OC and the search is already over for the QB coach then why does an announcement have to be made right now? Why not wait until after signing day, which is just around the corner? We know what Gundy thinks of fans’ opinions and recruiting for this class is pretty much finished. As far as secrecy, coaches have to be able to keep secrets because they can’t discuss recruits away from the job.
What possibly could withholding an announcement accomplish except displaying indecision about his decision on who to fill the OC position.

No one here has the slightest idea about the priorities in Gundy’s target criteria for a new OC. But what we do have here is a bunch of mostly baseless wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
What possibly could withholding an announcement accomplish except displaying indecision about his decision on who to fill the OC position.

No one here has the slightest idea about the priorities in Gundy’s target criteria for a new OC. But what we do have here is a bunch of mostly baseless wishful thinking.

I completely agree with you on this, but having said that, Gundy gonna Gundy, so who the hell knows what he'll do.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I completely agree with you on this, but having said that, Gundy gonna Gundy, so who the hell knows what he'll do.
True dat

Oct 30, 2007
I could see him doing that with the QB coach hire. I respect the fact that he doesn't want to disrupt another team's recruiting class. I just don't think it makes any sense not to name Henson the OC now, and name the QB coach after the late signing day. It's not like the announcements have to be made at the same time.