New OC thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
Reading this thread, and I enjoy the input and discussion, but why do so many of you think this turtle humping troll is so cute? He adds nothing to the conversation and completely derails every thread with his blatant hatred for all things Gundy. Please stop encouraging this. It's a perfect example of the demise of the OSU fan base.
Speaking of derailing a thread....pointless post that will now probably cause an entire page of you and him going back and forth.

(and now Im adding to the pointless posts, great)

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Good idea for the mods. If a certain poster earns, and it is earning, a certain number of ignores then they are voted off the island.

Just a thought.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Well.... ROB. Maybe they realize that our coach needs to stop acting like a complacent 2 year old and start focus on winning. If you can’t see that he brought some of this on himself, then bless your heart. It’s funny because he continues to take his shirt off, turtle hunt, snake hunt, pbbbft everyone and not give a rats ass about anyone’s opinion. So, it’s only logical for us as fans to joke about it since 7-6 seasons are acceptable.
Thank you for proving my point.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
That is fine for one reader of the posts. But what about new fans or recruits and their families. They don’t really need to see discord amongst the OSU fans. We could lose a recruit.
See the two posts just above dealing with a poster with a certain number of ignores.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
If an OC came in and left after a year or two, that would mean that they were extremely successful in their short time here. We had two of our most successful seasons ever in 2010 & 2011 with OC's just like that in Holgorsen & Monken. I would love to hire a coach like Graham Harrell and have to replace him in a couple years because we had top 5 offenses. That would be a great problem to have.

Coach Gundy has never hired a bad OC. If he thinks Henson is the best guy for the job, he should hire him. But I think it would be a mistake to hire him simply because he's an alum and he might stay longer than someone else.

I've though all along that it would probably be Henson. The longer this goes, I'm starting to think I might be wrong. I don't see why you would wait this long if you were going to stay in house.
If we hired Harrell, we'd just be grooming the next HC for tortilla tech. Not that it would necessarily be bad, but I think that's probably where Harrell ends up at some point.

I think it'll be Henson and knowing Gundy, he's probably just dragging his feet on the announcement to annoy someone. I believe he's wanted Henson here for OC for a greater scheme down the road. I think Gundy has wanted Henson to be OC even while Yurcich was here.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
We would have been better off hiring someone that would have kept him happy here and producing excellent offensive lines like he had been doing.

That's evidenced by the fact that it took Gundy 3 hires to fix the situation..

We can't afford to hire a guy that Henson feels slighted by and Henson leaves and it takes 3 hires to find an OLine coach and our OLine becomes unstable again.

Gundy has had a much better track record hiring OC"s than he has had hiring OLine coaches.

Gundy will always have good offenses as long as he has a good OLine.

Always has and always will

On the contrary...
If you're replacing OC'S every year or 2 AND, simultaneously have no stability in the OLine then that's a recipe for disaster like what happened in 2014.
Lol... this is true for any offense. You can't field a line of cardboard cutouts and expect to move the ball. Adkins was a decent coach, but not a good recruiter or didn't like to recruit. Henson is finally getting to the point where we're stockpiling talent and making them productive (and they're still young). This should be evident in the near future.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Wickline left the left the talent cupboard bare when he left. He got fat & happy towards the end of his career here, and he stopped putting effort into recruiting. Coach Gundy exasperated the problem by making 2 bad hires to follow him.

Wickline failed as an OC at both Texas & West Virginia. Do you really think we would've been better off hiring him as our OC just to keep him happy? I think that would've been a massive mistake.
We would have been better off hiring someone that would have kept him happy here and producing excellent offensive lines like he had been doing.

That's evidenced by the fact that it took Gundy 3 hires to fix the situation..

We can't afford to hire a guy that Henson feels slighted by and Henson leaves and it takes 3 hires to find an OLine coach and our OLine becomes unstable again.

Gundy has had a much better track record hiring OC"s than he has had hiring OLine coaches.

Gundy will always have good offenses as long as he has a good OLine.

Always has and always will

On the contrary...
If you're replacing OC'S every year or 2 AND, simultaneously have no stability in the OLine then that's a recipe for disaster like what happened in 2014.
We had a good OL in 2018? Not even close. If we had an OL worthy of giving the OL coach the OC position just to keep him here, our record would have been at least 10-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010
We had a good OL in 2018? Not even close. If we had an OL worthy of giving the OL coach the OC position just to keep him here, our record would have been at least 10-3.

Well....
Or...

If we didn't finish 112th in total defense

Or...
If we hadn't been forced to start a former walkon at QB

Or...
If we didnt lose our leading returning receiver early in the year

Or...
If we didn't lost an NFL caliber running back duringthe season.

Despite that we still finished 10th in total offense

In the face of all that it's pretty easy to see that it's important to keep the offensive coaches we have here.

Losing a guy that has proven that he is an elite offensive line coach at Mizzou would be a big blow to this program right now.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Well....
Or...

If we didn't finish 112th in total defensr

Or...
If we hadn't been forced to start a former walkon at QB

Or...
If we didnt lose our leading returning receiver early in the year

Or...
If we didn't lost an NFL caliber running back duringthe season.

Despite that we still finished 10th in total offense

In the face of all that it's pretty easy to see that it's important to keep the offensive coaches we have here.

Losing a guy that has proven that he is an elite offensive line coach at Mizzou would be a big blow to this program right now.
So you’re satisfied with the play of the OL in 2018? And you’re hanging your hat on that?

Doesn’t matter. Doesn’t look like Henson’s getting a promotion.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
So you’re satisfied with the play of the OL in 2018? And you’re hanging your hat on that?

What leads you to believe Henson isn’t getting promoted?

Dec 6, 2011

I am absolutely 100%, completely and totally fired up with the job Henson is doing at OSU and the fact that he is our offensive line coach.

For whatever reason people like to argue with you, but I appreciate your insight into the technical elements of the game so when you call out a coach as a good contributor I’m going to take it as a positive.