New OC thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I was answering the specific question about Gundy by the previous poster. But I'll copy and paste in the Recruiting section.

You can read my previous posts and see that I am not a big fan of the star system either. It isn't perfect, but overall you can't argue with success over time.

Don't know if you live in Texas or not. I do, and I can tell you that the quality of football in Houston and South Central Texas (I live in the Bryan, TX area) is noticeably down. Crowds are WAY down as well.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I think Monken would be a possibility if he had a clear path to the HC position after Gundy. Otherwise, I don’t see why he’d leave the NFL. Making $4-$5MM in Stillwater is as good a gig as there is...if your blood is orange.

Outside of the Monken dream, I want someone that will stick around for at least 5 years. The only way we ever get to the next level as a program is by avoiding becoming a stepping stone school for coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peeb

Sheriff
Sep 6, 2008
Green Country
I think a lot of our fanbase judged Coach Yurcich too early. The hire was underwhelming on the surface because of where he came from. Then he started a little slow. We were ranked 35th & 79th in total offense during his first 2 seasons. The struggles in his 2nd season can be tied to our terrible offensive line & Walsh getting injured. His last 4 seasons were all excellent. We would've won the conference and been in the CFP if we would've had an adequate defense in 2017.

I've always been a big fan of statistics, because they remove bias from the equation. That's why I'm really high on Graham Harrell, and low on Josh Henson. Harrell took a terrible offense, and made it good. Henson took a good offense, and made it terrible.

A lot of the Yurcich detractors will realize how good he truly was if Coach Gundy makes the wrong hire.
Truth. I was not a fan of Yurcich at all, early on. What I've concluded is that our former "Fast fast fast- always fast" offense was great fun, but terrible at managing the clock and/or late leads. In the last couple of years, we've evolved to going fast sometimes, and slow sometimes- as called for by the situation. Much smarter. I like it better and I probably didn't give Yurcich credit for this wise evolution.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Outside of the Monken dream, I want someone that will stick around for at least 5 years. The only way we ever get to the next level as a program is by avoiding becoming a stepping stone school for coaches.

We went thru a short stretch where our OC we're getting hired away, not coincidentally those were some of the most successful years of our history. Last season was the 6th year for Yurcich and there were points during the season where I questioned if we would make a bowl. I think if our OC isn't getting lots of interest from other teams after 3 years it's time for a new coordinator. Successful OC's means successful OSU.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
We went thru a short stretch where our OC we're getting hired away, not coincidentally those were some of the most successful years of our history. Last season was the 6th year for Yurcich and there were points during the season where I questioned if we would make a bowl. I think if our OC isn't getting lots of interest from other teams after 3 years it's time for a new coordinator. Successful OC's means successful OSU.

One of the biggest problems with losing OCs so often was we lost recruiting relationships they had started and it showed in our lackluster recruiting when we should have been cashing in on our success on the field with recruiting.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma

One of the biggest problems with losing OCs so often was we lost recruiting relationships they had started and it showed in our lackluster recruiting when we should have been cashing in on our success on the field with recruiting.
That's crazy because we since the 2013 class Monkens last class the recruiting rankings have been on the decline

Jul 31, 2004
Watauga, TX
For those watching the FCS Championship how does the play calling for EWU look? I can see they are down but turnovers and penalties seem to be slowing them down.

Oct 30, 2007

Maybe the HC should develop relationships, assuming what you are saying is the case.

Oct 30, 2007
OC is primarily responsible for recruiting quarterbacks, and that's the one position we recruit nationwide. Over the past few years, we've pulled QB's from CA, SC, GA, & LA. Recruiting ties don't matter that much when you're recruiting coast to coast.

Our primary dropoff in recruiting has come on the defensive side of the ball. We won't have a single defensive player on the roster next year that was rated as a 4-star or higher coming in.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
OC is primarily responsible for recruiting quarterbacks, and that's the one position we recruit nationwide. Over the past few years, we've pulled QB's from CA, SC, GA, & LA. Recruiting ties don't matter that much when you're recruiting coast to coast.

Our primary dropoff in recruiting has come on the defensive side of the ball. We won't have a single defensive player on the roster next year that was rated as a 4-star or higher coming in.
Yes but the coaching turnover was not limited to OCs. My point was all the coaching turnover hurt recruiting.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
For those watching the FCS Championship how does the play calling for EWU look? I can see they are down but turnovers and penalties seem to be slowing them down.
Side note:

Playing North Dakota, they may rather be playing Alabama :)

NDSU over the last 8 seasons is 112-8 (.933) with 7 National Championships and 1 loss in the semifinal game.

Alabama over the last 8 seasons is 103-9 (.919) with 4 National Championships and 1 loss in the Sugar Bowl, a loss in a Semifinal, and a loss in the championship game. 1 more game to go in the championship game. Sill can't top NDSU though.

Jan 14, 2006
I thought they looked pretty good. I agree, penalties hurt them. Reminded me of OU the way they used the FB/te in the passing game. Had a huge gain on a creative pass play to the FB called back in the first quarter.
QB looked jumpy and inconsistent early but like Cimarron said, the team they were playing was really talented.
We could do worse.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I was answering the specific question about Gundy by the previous poster. But I'll copy and paste in the Recruiting section.

You can read my previous posts and see that I am not a big fan of the star system either. It isn't perfect, but overall you can't argue with success over time.

Don't know if you live in Texas or not. I do, and I can tell you that the quality of football in Houston and South Central Texas (I live in the Bryan, TX area) is noticeably down. Crowds are WAY down as well.
Sorry I wasn’t trying to be a thread nazi, I just really liked your take and thought it would get more traction in those threads.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I can see both sides of the issue. If we constantly have assistants making lateral moves then that is bad for the program.....but having our coordinators getting hired away to be head coaches on a regular basis probably means we are winning more than we are losing. Just look at how many OC's Stoops went through in his tenure at ou or how many Saban coordinators have been lured away the past decade or so.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
So what we're really saying is that Gundy is no Swinney. But then who is except Saban? If Dabo keeps his fire lit, he could go down as the best there ever was. Same goes for Lincoln Riley if he keeps on the current track.
If Gundy had half the talent of those previous mentioned guys he'd be the one we'd all be pointing to. Great players make great coaches, but Gundy has done wonders with those that want to come to Stilly.

Bill Snyder was another coach that had outstanding results with less.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
It really hasn't hurt Bama, LSU or many of the others.
Winning is the biggest recruiter.
We have not nor will we likely ever be at the recruiting levels of those schools. We have to recruit differently, that is our only option. We have to go find the players that fit our schemes and might be overlooked by others. That takes guys developing relationships and those take time. That is one of the main reasons Gundy stresses continuity.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I don't view longevity as a negative necessarily, position coach longevity is very important if you are only replacing coordinators, which is essentially what we do. We haven't brought in a coordinator yet that wants to replace the whole staff like the NFL does.

Sep 18, 2018
Gatesville, TX
I don't view longevity as a negative necessarily, position coach longevity is very important if you are only replacing coordinators, which is essentially what we do. We haven't brought in a coordinator yet that wants to replace the whole staff like the NFL does.

Could probably be a more attractive position if we did allow it though. Just say Dunn and Henson are safe. Everyone else is fair game.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
It really hasn't hurt Bama, LSU or many of the others.
Winning is the biggest recruiter.
For the last 10 years (not including 2018) OSU has the 10th best winning percentage in Division 1 football!

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...=2008&end=2017&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

That's a better winning percentage than LSU, UGA, Michigan, Nebraska, Michigan State, Florida, Notre Dame, Auburn, Texas, Texas A&M...

Yet we can't get recruiting up anyhwere near that.