New Jumbotron in BPS

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2013
That would crack me up....and be kind of awesome.
And they could do the opposite on the *inside* of the windows from the coach's offices... put up some kind of screen/image giving them a perpetual view of BPS. They could customize the view for each office - one could have a sunny day BPS, one could have a beautiful sunset over BPS, one could have a 2011-field storming celebration, one could have a snow-covered BPS, etc. That's only if they have the pics... if not, take some now!

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
First of all they are on the ground and anchored to the ground. This is well above, where winds WILL be at higher speeds than lower and more straight line winds. Even if it doesn't fall it quite possibly would take damage. I wouldn't chance it.
Somehow drive-in theater screens made it for decades (except the one in Twister which I never understood why an automotive shop was part of a drive-in)
Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It's going to look far better attached to GIA that it would have on top of GIA just because we won't have a huge thing sticking out the top of GIA. This is the best of all realistic options in my opinion.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Oklahoma City, OK
And they could do the opposite on the *inside* of the windows from the coach's offices... put up some kind of screen/image giving them a perpetual view of BPS. They could customize the view for each office - one could have a sunny day BPS, one could have a beautiful sunset over BPS, one could have a 2011-field storming celebration, one could have a snow-covered BPS, etc. That's only if they have the pics... if not, take some now!

That would be saweeeet

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
and, and space ships could fly across with SOUND! and there could be bears attacking, and maybe no one would ever get anything done while watching all this fabulous entertainment. plus everyone from campus would have to come and see this. maybe even in 3D, WOW!

Aug 3, 2009
Boone's Farm
Not that it matters at this point but I disagree with putting it on the side of GIA. Think it would look much better on top. On the side covering up the windows A. is just unfortunate for the folks officing out of there and B. looks like an afterthought (which it is I guess) As far as the wind/damage potential I don't really get that argument. Its not like the thing would be attached with a couple wood screws or something! Check out A&M's screen. It looks pretty high up there to me!
1525382943971.png

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
Some of you all are acting like we are covering up the Lincoln Memorial. I realize it has a lot of tradition and good memories, but it isn't a building that when you first see it, you drop to your knees and say WOW! The jumbotron sticking up on this stadium looks ok from the field level, but it would be but t ugly on top of GIA. IMO. The picture above looks like an after thought, but i think the way it will be on GIA will look somewhat like a planned place for it.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Oh jeez, let's please not use anything A&M has done as an example of what we should do. Their stadium is an abomination.
Not only that, their stadium is gigantic so proportionally their screen doesn't look ridiculous.

I don't know why no one's done it yet but...
Untitled.png

While a crude representation (literally just copy/paste into paint...) that would look just plain stupid. Plus it's virtually straight up from the back of the end zone, so a lot of people would be having to look straight up to see it...

Aug 7, 2006
Not only that, their stadium is gigantic so proportionally their screen doesn't look ridiculous.

I don't know why no one's done it yet but...
View attachment 60876
While a crude representation (literally just copy/paste into paint...) that would look just plain stupid. Plus it's virtually straight up from the back of the end zone, so a lot of people would be having to look straight up to see it...
That would be really fun to look at for 11am games with the sun right behind it.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't get the Oklahoma winds argument. Anyone care to elaborate?
Not sure if serious.

I'm not structural engineer but it was my comment so I guess I get to elaborate.

Winds at 80 feet (whatever it may be) are stronger than winds down in the bowl or at ground level. A 6,000 square foot sail affixed to a structure that wasn't designed for this purpose seems like a recipe for disaster.

Dec 6, 2016
Oklahoma City
Not sure if serious.

I'm not structural engineer but it was my comment so I guess I get to elaborate.

Winds at 80 feet (whatever it may be) are stronger than winds down in the bowl or at ground level. A 6,000 square foot sail affixed to a structure that wasn't designed for this purpose seems like a recipe for disaster.
I am a structural engineer. They could make something work, but it more than likely would require more time and money than they wanted to get that done. Plus, as another commenter said, it wouldn't be easy to look up to and it would look terrible.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Not sure if serious.

Actually, I was serious, and I am a structural engineer. I could design something to make it work regardless of where it is. Cost, is obviously the controlling factor.

Right or wrong, as I was reading through the thread I got the impression that folks were thinking tornadoes. My comment was going to be that no structures in Oklahoma are designed for tornado force gusts...if so, everyone would live and work in bunkers. Per ASCE 7 code it would be designed for 120mph wind assuming a Risk Category III.

You are correct that wind loads at elevation will be greater, but it could be mitigated if the screen is perforated rather than solid. Also, there are different requirements for design of building attachments vs. the building itself. On the side of the building you still have to perform local checks as the screen will attach at X number of locations thus imparting new point loads on the building. That said, the roof mount version would be attached at the base and impart a large moment on the roof and most likely impart new roof point loads via vertical bracing on the backside of the screen. Then the GIA roof trusses would have to be rechecked and so on.

In summary, not impossible, just more expensive. "The more you know"

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Actually, I was serious, and I am a structural engineer. I could design something to make it work regardless of where it is. Cost, is obviously the controlling factor.

Right or wrong, as I was reading through the thread I got the impression that folks were thinking tornadoes. My comment was going to be that no structures in Oklahoma are designed for tornado force gusts...if so, everyone would live and work in bunkers. Per ASCE 7 code it would be designed for 120mph wind assuming a Risk Category III.

You are correct that wind loads at elevation will be greater, but it could be mitigated if the screen is perforated rather than solid. On the side of the building you still have to perform local checks as the screen will attach at X number of locations thus imparting new point loads on the building. That said, the roof mount version would be attached at the base and impart a large moment on the roof and most likely impart new roof point loads via vertical bracing on the backside of the screen. Then the GIA roof trusses would have to be rechecked and so on.

In summary, not impossible, just more expensive.
I concede that I'm out of my element. But my question is, besides the cost, could it be done without looking like one of my Dad's repair jobs involving duct tape and such? The way I envision it would likely end up would do more to detract from the look of GIA besides just the tron itself.