New guys will save us next year?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Well said.

The number of departures & misses in Boynton's first season is a legitimate concern. Doesn't really matter whether he kicked them off or they left, they're still total misses on a 15 man roster.

Like you, I'm hopeful this trend ends with next year's class, but thus far, there's no good way to spin all the departures.
It is a 13 man roster, at least as far as scholarships go.

Dec 6, 2013
This team has played with heart considering THERE IS NO BENCH (Period). A player focusing more on a team's record says more about their own confidence, or a lack thereof. If they do not believe their skills can make a difference, do you really want them taking up a scholarship?
Trailing by 40 pts at home is not heart. More like quit.

Yeah we did keep playing hard enough to go on a little run once TTU put the scrubs in, but even dead cats bounce.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

Yeah we did keep playing hard enough to go on a little run once TTU put the scrubs in, but even dead cats bounce.
Be a Negative Nancy or Debbie Downer if you want. I for one appreciate the players we have and the effort they exhibit. They are in a tough situation that a handful of idiots created. I appreciate Boynton doing the right thing even though it hurt the team athletically. Go Pokes!

Dec 6, 2013
I agree it’s tough, but somehow 265 other NCAA coaches have successfully prevented their guys from playing with BB guns in parking lots in the first place.

When my brother and I first read the article, we said “that could only happen to OSU”. Why is it that many people just aren’t even surprised? It’s like a train wreck I can’t look away from.
But they have to provide proof, not just hope, that they can play and complete and win against top conference teams before I will feel like spending my money on tickets again.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I agree it’s tough, but somehow 265 other NCAA coaches have successfully prevented their guys from playing with BB guns in parking lots in the first place.

When my brother and I first read the article, we said “that could only happen to OSU”. Why is it that many people just aren’t even surprised? It’s like a train wreck I can’t look away from.
But they have to provide proof, not just hope, that they can play and complete and win against top conference teams before I will feel like spending my money on tickets again.
waaa.... buh bye

Aug 16, 2012

Yeah, no other programs have kids who get in trouble. None. Smh

Jul 7, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY

I'm not sure I have seen someone take a more self-centered approach to a program that they, really, have nothing to do with.

We get it. You are baffled by kids who misbehave. You believe they are the only kids that go to Oklahoma State And every other program in the country loads their teams with young men of the highest character. Only Mike Boynton and Oklahoma State University recruit knuckleheads who shoot BB guns. It can ONLY happen in Stillwater.

Furthermore, we will never return to prominence. Texas Tech just beat us so bad that we should either cut the program entirely, or at least find a better use for GIA during the winter months.

And, lastly, to your original point, all future recruits, - all the four star kids who we have coming in 2019 and 2020 - they are all going to jump ship on us because they see what you see and are absolutely disgusted by Oklahoma State University basketball. Well, that is, unless they plan on toting BB guns or majoring in Engineering. Then they are locked in!

So, with ALL that knowledge that you have, all that foresight and unparalleled vision into the basketball club we have at our Engineering school, why are you still coming to an internet message board to piss and moan about it?

As I've said before, please feel free to not spend money on tickets. Feel free to walk away in disgust and turn a blind eye towards the young men who are busting their ass every game and playing with incredible pride to represent the University that gave me my degree. The rest of us know where this program is going. We will get there just fine without you.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2004
Stillwater, OK
I'm not sure I have seen someone take a more self-centered approach to a program that they, really, have nothing to do with.

We get it. You are baffled by kids who misbehave. You believe they are the only kids that go to Oklahoma State And every other program in the country loads their teams with young men of the highest character. Only Mike Boynton and Oklahoma State University recruit knuckleheads who shoot BB guns. It can ONLY happen in Stillwater.

Furthermore, we will never return to prominence. Texas Tech just beat us so bad that we should either cut the program entirely, or at least find a better use for GIA during the winter months.

And, lastly, to your original point, all future recruits, - all the four star kids who we have coming in 2019 and 2020 - they are all going to jump ship on us because they see what you see and are absolutely disgusted by Oklahoma State University basketball. Well, that is, unless they plan on toting BB guns or majoring in Engineering. Then they are locked in!

So, with ALL that knowledge that you have, all that foresight and unparalleled vision into the basketball club we have at our Engineering school, why are you still coming to an internet message board to piss and moan about it?

As I've said before, please feel free to not spend money on tickets. Feel free to walk away in disgust and turn a blind eye towards the young men who are busting their ass every game and playing with incredible pride to represent the University that gave me my degree. The rest of us know where this program is going. We will get there just fine without you.

I am having a hard time being optimistic because I am not seeing any great Xs & Os coaching from this staff. Boynton has shown bad judgement: From "Lamont is like a brother" to recruiting then dismissing 4 players in one year, it is hard to get past that level of bad judgement in 2 years. So far, he has not made up for that with any stellar on-the-court coaching. The team plays "rat ball" and runs their legs off, when there is no bench. As good a percent as they have shot 3-pt, slowing down the pace would seem to be a better way to conserve energy for a tired, depleted team.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, no other programs have kids who get in trouble. None. Smh
And he seriously thinks Boynton could have stopped them from doing what they did?

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY
I am having a hard time being optimistic because I am not seeing any great Xs & Os coaching from this staff. Boynton has shown bad judgement: From "Lamont is like a brother" to recruiting then dismissing 4 players in one year, it is hard to get past that level of bad judgement in 2 years. So far, he has not made up for that with any stellar on-the-court coaching. The team plays "rat ball" and runs their legs off, when there is no bench. As good a percent as they have shot 3-pt, slowing down the pace would seem to be a better way to conserve energy for a tired, depleted team.
I don't agree with this, but you aren't being blasphemous in your criticism. it is a fine stance to take and I think there are many out there right now who may be a little confused or upset at the season we are having.

My issue with this briscoe character (who is making me double angry because I can't help think of Brisco County Jr., and he is creating a negative association with that name now!) is that he is blatantly attacking these kids and this program. Calling them quitters. Calling on our recruits to play elsewhere. He is showing a fundamental misunderstanding on how programs are built over time and clearly does not see the plan Boynton has in place.

Allow me, orangebullet, to hopefully shed some optimism on this program for you...

I believe Boynton has a plan. He does not just want to grab the most talented players in the country and hope to God he can make it work when they get to Stillwater (which is in my opinion what Travis Ford tried to do and continually failed), he sees his roster, he sees where there is talent and where there is room for improvement, and he is addressing it on the recruiting trail.

We have great spot shooters on this team (Waters, Dziagwa, and even Cam), but we lack athleticism on the wings - Hey, Boone Twins, you guys got any plans over the next four years? Come help us out.

We need a guy who can create offense on his own when the shot clock is winding down, get to the foul line, and be a go-to-guy if the plays are getting blown up. Marcus Watson, you're a beast. Feel like filling that role for us?

He sees we have an amazing talent at the PG position, but we need to free up Waters more often to be a scorer and not a secondary ball handler. Hey, AAIII, come handle the rock for us.

Nobody is going to benefit more from these players coming in than Dziagwa. Listen, the kid is not a 30+ minute a night player. But, God bless him, the kid tries incredibly hard and can shoot. When we have these recruits coming in who can eat some of those minutes from him, and put him in a position to be more of the type of player he is supposed to be, he is going to be a huge spark of energy and points for us in key situations.

Boynton isnt just copying and pasting here. He is analyzing his roster, finding where he has strengths, and fixing the weaknesses in recruiting. It is incredibly exciting, in my opinion, to see how he is constantly looking down the road and building something that is going to be competitive, sustainable, and successful.

I'm sorry - I just do not agree with those who watch this team and cannot find the optimism. We are not lacking in coaching. We are not lacking in effort. Hell, we are not even really lacking in talent. We got guys who can play and who are developing tremendously well. Where we are lacking is in depth and in the positions I mentioned above.

Look, like I said earlier, we cannot expect this class to come in and make us a Top 10 program next year. It takes time for these players to develop. It takes time for the team to come together. But the future is incredibly bright with this program and I REFUSE to take a pessimistic approach or doubt where Boynton is taking this team. I am incredibly proud to watch these guys and I see greatness coming back to GIA.

Mar 8, 2010
Don't really understand the critics of MB this season but understand their disappointment. Coach showed what he can do last year by sweeping KU in the regular season, beat uo when they were still on a role, plus some other quality victories. We should have made the tournament. This year we're just too short on quality players.

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Says the person sitting on the couch, not having to run up and down the court day-in and day-out. I could not have done it at their age. Those getting the bulk of playing time, have to be worn out by now. Not an excuse, not blind loyalty, just facing the facts of this season.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
But we can also assume that everyone else in the big 12 Will also have a team that is a year older and a year more experienced next year. And any seniors that they do graduate will be replaced by freshman recruits at least as good as the ones we have signed, right?
yes, we should all walk through life scared to death of the future, and definitely/always - assume the worse.:facepalm:

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Be a Negative Nancy or Debbie Downer if you want. I for one appreciate the players we have and the effort they exhibit. They are in a tough situation that a handful of idiots created. I appreciate Boynton doing the right thing even though it hurt the team athletically. Go Pokes!
totally agree. the fact that this team is still playing hard for their coach and pride, alone, speaks volumes to me

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I don't agree with this, but you aren't being blasphemous in your criticism. it is a fine stance to take and I think there are many out there right now who may be a little confused or upset at the season we are having.

My issue with this briscoe character (who is making me double angry because I can't help think of Brisco County Jr., and he is creating a negative association with that name now!) is that he is blatantly attacking these kids and this program. Calling them quitters. Calling on our recruits to play elsewhere. He is showing a fundamental misunderstanding on how programs are built over time and clearly does not see the plan Boynton has in place.

Allow me, orangebullet, to hopefully shed some optimism on this program for you...

I believe Boynton has a plan. He does not just want to grab the most talented players in the country and hope to God he can make it work when they get to Stillwater (which is in my opinion what Travis Ford tried to do and continually failed), he sees his roster, he sees where there is talent and where there is room for improvement, and he is addressing it on the recruiting trail.

We have great spot shooters on this team (Waters, Dziagwa, and even Cam), but we lack athleticism on the wings - Hey, Boone Twins, you guys got any plans over the next four years? Come help us out.

We need a guy who can create offense on his own when the shot clock is winding down, get to the foul line, and be a go-to-guy if the plays are getting blown up. Marcus Watson, you're a beast. Feel like filling that role for us?

He sees we have an amazing talent at the PG position, but we need to free up Waters more often to be a scorer and not a secondary ball handler. Hey, AAIII, come handle the rock for us.

Nobody is going to benefit more from these players coming in than Dziagwa. Listen, the kid is not a 30+ minute a night player. But, God bless him, the kid tries incredibly hard and can shoot. When we have these recruits coming in who can eat some of those minutes from him, and put him in a position to be more of the type of player he is supposed to be, he is going to be a huge spark of energy and points for us in key situations.

Boynton isnt just copying and pasting here. He is analyzing his roster, finding where he has strengths, and fixing the weaknesses in recruiting. It is incredibly exciting, in my opinion, to see how he is constantly looking down the road and building something that is going to be competitive, sustainable, and successful.

I'm sorry - I just do not agree with those who watch this team and cannot find the optimism. We are not lacking in coaching. We are not lacking in effort. Hell, we are not even really lacking in talent. We got guys who can play and who are developing tremendously well. Where we are lacking is in depth and in the positions I mentioned above.

Look, like I said earlier, we cannot expect this class to come in and make us a Top 10 program next year. It takes time for these players to develop. It takes time for the team to come together. But the future is incredibly bright with this program and I REFUSE to take a pessimistic approach or doubt where Boynton is taking this team. I am incredibly proud to watch these guys and I see greatness coming back to GIA.
I agree with most everything that is here except that we have the talent, I'm not knocking our guys at all but Waters isn't a point guard and TBH Ice isn't either but he is better than Waters. Waters is a really good player just not a PG, Cam isn't a center, Demuth is still developing, Yor keeps improving. It's not that the guys aren't talented its that they're playing other roles that doesn't really fit them the best.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Grab a clipboard and go head to head with him and let me know how that works. You either support the guy or you don't. Krzyzewski went 11-14 his first year at Army. Boynton went 21-15 last year. So if he has "bad judgement", then Krzyzewski must be flying off the handle. You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but I think a lot of us here are pulling for him. I'll say this again, its a rebuilding year. We lost: Carroll, Smith, Solomon, Sima, Shine and kicked off Dillard.

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I knew the starters were playing a lot of minutes, but based on this article,
OSU’s starting five of Isaac Likekele, Thomas Dziagwa, Lindy Waters, Cam McGriff and Yor Anei have all averaged at least 30 minutes, with all but Anei exceeding 34 minutes per contest.
That means once the game starts, the starters are coming off the court six minutes at the most, with the exception of timeouts and half time. Anyone thinking that is not impressive and a feat within itself, clearly has never played competitive sports. I can't be more proud of these kids.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I knew the starters were playing a lot of minutes, but based on this article, That means once the game starts, the starters are coming off the court six minutes at the most, with the exception of timeouts and half time. Anyone thinking that is not impressive and a feat within itself, clearly has never played competitive sports. I can't be more proud of these kids.
not only that.... but Coach B had to learn how to coach zone....

As a basketball player, Mike Boynton grew up learning man-to-man principles.

He played for coaches who preached them. When he became a coach, he worked his way up alongside coaches who relied on man-to-man. As Oklahoma State’s head coach, Boynton aimed to play an aggressive, take-you-out-of-your-offense style that would resonate with fans longing for the hard-nosed defense played by Eddie Sutton’s best teams.

Circumstances dictate everything, though. That’s why here, with 10 regular-season games to go in his second season, Boynton is learning that for his shorthanded group, zone defense might be the way to go.

“Sometimes when you’re forced into situations, you have an opportunity to learn,” Boynton said.

...the Cowboys’ lone win in their four games since losing most of their bench came in the only game (South Carolina) in which they played zone more often than man-to-man.

And the constant switching — from man-to-man, to 1-3-1 zone, to 2-3 zone — has the capability to keep an opponent out of rhythm.

K-State guard Barry Brown said that in scouting OSU, he noticed the Cowboys once changed defenses 15 times in a half.

“It’s interesting,” Boynton said. “I study coaches all my life and obviously grew up in the northeast. Knew (former Temple coach) John Chaney was a big proponent of a zone and (Syracuse coach Jim) Boeheim, I don’t know if he’s ever coached a possession of man-to-man defense in his life. Two of the greatest coaches ever. So I certainly know that it’s an effective way to coach and have success — I just never was exposed to it myself.”

Oklahoma State typically begins the game in man-to-man, hoping to play aggressively and force a turnover or two on the opening possessions.

From there, fouls often dictate what Boynton does next.