New Cowboy Baseball Stadium discussion thread: Likes, Dislikes, Ideas, Traditions, etc.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
So, I thought I would start a thread for general discussion regarding the new stadium for what everyone likes about the design, anything you may not necessarily like about the design, ideas for new traditions, etc.

I guess I'll start.

1. The see-through batter's eye, I think it'll be something truly unique to our stadium. It does look like it'll hang over a bit of the CF warning track, which could create an interesting home field advantage with visiting CF'ers.
2. Really like having a concourse that goes completely around the stadium.
3. Personally, I like that the stadium will face the same direction as Allie P.
4. Love the idea of having a separate locker area for former players to come back, work out during their minor league off-season, and continue to work toward a degree. If I was a parent of a prospect, this would be a huge hook for me. I absolutely love how much Coach Holliday talks about and emphasizes academics.
5. Love that it'll be all natural grass. Plastic fields aren't real baseball fields. Even though, it is a great thing that we'll have the plastic infield for practice, since over half the conference has it.
6. I like that the student section was pushed further toward the field, could create a pretty good atmosphere there. At first, I figured that the student section would be right there next to the visitors' dugout, and thought that could be very interesting having a student section that close to their dugout. But, after looking it over, considering the placement of the "training triangle" I think the 3rd base side will continue to be the home dugout at the new stadium.
7. Something I noticed from the overhead view, it appears that our bullpen is considerably larger than the visitors' bullpen - again, I like it.

I like almost everything about the stadium, I think it'll be beautiful and certainly top 3 in the country immediately.

Dislikes:
1. It needs a name, and it needs a good one. I would be all for "Cowboy Stadium" if the big donors really don't want their name on it. This way, you could play into the theme of showing off your history and tradition throughout every corner of the stadium (which it certainly sounds like that's exactly what they intend to do). I'm excited to see what all gets put up inside the stadium to celebrate all of the former players and team accomplishments. Also, it really would be nice to have some statues up in the front, maybe similar to what the have at Busch Stadium. That would be really cool, but I'm also sure it wouldn't be cheap. Other name ideas I could go with - Allie P. 2, Ward Stadium, Ward Field at Greene Stadium (or vice versa).

2. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now.

Traditions:
I would love to see us cultivate a true tailgating atmosphere, and it sounds like this new ballpark could do that. Would also like to see better student attendance, and a really rowdy student section. Could be a lot of fun, but has been really missing at Allie P. Would love see the ballpark packed for a big conference game, us shelling the opposing pitcher, mound visit, and fire up the "keep him in!!!" "take him out!!!" chant. That would be really cool. Any other ideas for new traditions?

Oh, and, we must keep playing the Gap Band!!!

Oh, and in case you need to look it over again:
http://orange.okstate.com/baseball2020/

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The name change and a little further from campus are the only downsides I can see.

I hope we find a way to pay some tribute to Ward in the new one. I was a huge GW fan.

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
I agree with your list Ptak. It is aesthetically absolutely stunning. Homeplate and CF entrances are beautiful. Love the 360 concourse and orange seats. The other buildings make it a complex and will have a wow factor for recruits. As you said the batters eye is unique and the covered picnic tables will hopefully encourage tailgating. Video board is huge. Also like that you can get some shade/protection in some places if need be and that there are areas to take the kids to stretch their legs. Really seems like no stone was left unturned. Grass like we have now will only make it pop more!

Apr 7, 2006
Likes -

-Stays with the same architecture as the other facilities
-360 Concourse
-Seating completely wrapping the playing surface outside of the space at dead center. It's going to feel like fans are right on top of the game when it's full - because there are going to be fans completely surrounding the field - which is fairly unique in college baseball and isn't something you see everywhere even in professional stadiums.
-The entrances / curb appeal from both directions. It really is going to showcase baseball in a way it's never been showcased in Stillwater. Outside of the view from Duck Avenue, right now you have to really want to see the baseball field in order to see it. Noone is going to drive by our baseball stadium and think that it's a pillar of our athletic department. I think that changes gonig forward. If that does nothing else, it tells students and the Stillwater community that our baseball team is something worth investing in.
-Training center. The majority of the training season for baseball is during a time that days are short and weather can be inclement. Having top-notch space to train in is as important as the field - it's probably going to be used 10 hours for every 1 hour that is spent on the field. It also helps draw potential recruits for camps.

There's no hyperbole in the fact that this stadium is going to completely change OSU Baseball's identity - both to the fanbase/community but also to the team.

Feb 4, 2004

Dislikes: None for the Park, just a little sadness. My son’s were raised on Cowboy Baseball at Allie P. And I hate to see that link gone, but that’s the way with progress.

New memories to be made with grandsons and at the new park.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
So, I thought I would start a thread for general discussion regarding the new stadium for what everyone likes about the design, anything you may not necessarily like about the design, ideas for new traditions, etc.

I guess I'll start.

1. The see-through batter's eye, I think it'll be something truly unique to our stadium. It does look like it'll hang over a bit of the CF warning track, which could create an interesting home field advantage with visiting CF'ers.
4. Love the idea of having a separate locker area for former players to come back, work out during their minor league off-season, and continue to work toward a degree. If I was a parent of a prospect, this would be a huge hook for me. I absolutely love how much Coach Holliday talks about and emphasizes academics.
5. Love that it'll be all natural grass. Plastic fields aren't real baseball fields. Even though, it is a great thing that we'll have the plastic infield for practice, since over half the conference has it.
6. I like that the student section was pushed further toward the field, could create a pretty good atmosphere there. At first, I figured that the student section would be right there next to the visitors' dugout, and thought that could be very interesting having a student section that close to their dugout. But, after looking it over, considering the placement of the "training triangle" I think the 3rd base side will continue to be the home dugout at the new stadium.
7. Something I noticed from the overhead view, it appears that our bullpen is considerably larger than the visitors' bullpen - again, I like it.

I like almost everything about the stadium, I think it'll be beautiful and certainly top 3 in the country immediately.

Dislikes:
1. It needs a name, and it needs a good one. I would be all for "Cowboy Stadium" if the big donors really don't want their name on it. This way, you could play into the theme of showing off your history and tradition throughout every corner of the stadium (which it certainly sounds like that's exactly what they intend to do). I'm excited to see what all gets put up inside the stadium to celebrate all of the former players and team accomplishments. Also, it really would be nice to have some statues up in the front, maybe similar to what the have at Busch Stadium. That would be really cool, but I'm also sure it wouldn't be cheap. Other name ideas I could go with - Allie P. 2, Ward Stadium, Ward Field at Greene Stadium (or vice versa).

2. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now. The food MUST be better than it is right now.

Traditions:
I would love to see us cultivate a true tailgating atmosphere, and it sounds like this new ballpark could do that. Would also like to see better student attendance, and a really rowdy student section. Could be a lot of fun, but has been really missing at Allie P. Would love see the ballpark packed for a big conference game, us shelling the opposing pitcher, mound visit, and fire up the "keep him in!!!" "take him out!!!" chant. That would be really cool. Any other ideas for new traditions?

PTak, please explain this "batter's eye". I have been trying to figure it out since the announcement but, for the life of me, I remain ignorant.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

I guess I'll start.

Dislikes:

Traditions:

PTak, please explain this "batter's eye". I have been trying to figure it out since the announcement but, for the life of me, I remain ignorant.
What it is or how it works?

It is a backdrop in center field directly in line with the batter’s field of vision behind the pitcher. This allows for the batter to be able to pick up the white baseball and see the rotation on it. Basically to give a good contrast so that the fans can’t have a white out staged in the center field stands every game and help hide the ball. There is a reason home baseball teams wear white the majority of the time. :)

I’m guessing it functions like a two way mirror or one of those truck window stickers. You can see out of it, but the batter can’t see in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
Yes! As excited as I am about the new stadium, I would have been disappointed if we moved to turf. I get the reasons why other schools have moved to it, but Josh's answer to this in the press conference was perfect. Allie P. may be outdated, but our playing surface is the cream of the crop in college baseball, and it would be a shame not to continue that legacy.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
Likes -

-Stays with the same architecture as the other facilities
-360 Concourse
-Seating completely wrapping the playing surface outside of the space at dead center. It's going to feel like fans are right on top of the game when it's full - because there are going to be fans completely surrounding the field - which is fairly unique in college baseball and isn't something you see everywhere even in professional stadiums.
-The entrances / curb appeal from both directions. It really is going to showcase baseball in a way it's never been showcased in Stillwater. Outside of the view from Duck Avenue, right now you have to really want to see the baseball field in order to see it. Noone is going to drive by our baseball stadium and think that it's a pillar of our athletic department. I think that changes gonig forward. If that does nothing else, it tells students and the Stillwater community that our baseball team is something worth investing in.
-Training center. The majority of the training season for baseball is during a time that days are short and weather can be inclement. Having top-notch space to train in is as important as the field - it's probably going to be used 10 hours for every 1 hour that is spent on the field. It also helps draw potential recruits for camps.

There's no hyperbole in the fact that this stadium is going to completely change OSU Baseball's identity - both to the fanbase/community but also to the team.
That's a really good point. It will be the first campus structure you drive past on Washington. Certainly will be an attention getter.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com

It is a backdrop in center field directly in line with the batter’s field of vision behind the pitcher. This allows for the batter to be able to pick up the white baseball and see the rotation on it. Basically to give a good contrast so that the fans can’t have a white out staged in the center field stands every game and help hide the ball. There is a reason home baseball teams wear white the majority of the time. :)

I’m guessing it functions like a two way mirror or one of those truck window stickers. You can see out of it, but the batter can’t see in.

Yes, and I think it will look like a black piece of glass from the field, with the ability to watch the game from the party/play deck area behind it. I also think this is the reason for the overhang. They have to keep it completely in the shade to keep the glare from the glass from messing with batters.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.

Thank you so much!

May 29, 2007
Edmond, OK
Yes! As excited as I am about the new stadium, I would have been disappointed if we moved to turf. I get the reasons why other schools have moved to it, but Josh's answer to this in the press conference was perfect. Allie P. may be outdated, but our playing surface is the cream of the crop in college baseball, and it would be a shame not to continue that legacy.
Agree. Todd Tribble and crew has put together the best playing surface imaginable. It would have been a major disappointment if they went artificial.
The artificial practice infield is great though. And I like the placement behind the OF wall. Currently they have a grass practice area along RF line and my 8 yr old son loves playing over there during a game. I like that I can stand over there and see the field although I was a little nervous that one of the kids was gonna get drilled by a foul ball. Assuming that they will let the kids play on the practice infield and that parents will be able to stand where they can see their kid and watch the game.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
Something to add to the "likes" section. The new video scoreboard. Could put together some pretty awesome pre-game hype videos with our history. I hope they do as nice of a job with it as they do with the football games.

Oh, and on the "needs" list - organ music. Seriously, we need organ music for a real baseball feel.

And re-visiting the ideas for traditions. I know the Ball 5, etc. chant at A&M is really really cool. What about the idea of starting of the "take him out!" "leave him in!" chant anytime we get back to back base hits? Too much? Maybe, but with a packed house, that could seriously get into a pitcher's head quickly. Anyone else have ideas for new chants?