New College Baseball Model

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 7, 2006
I think the change is a fantastic idea. Currently February/early March baseball is almost like a different season with the weather and travel impacts. If you start in mid March, southern teams will still have an advantage but significantly less. Fans have sports in June and July - which means the attendance and televised games go up.

Sep 9, 2013
The SEC has always been against it. It is to their advantage that teams in the north cant practice outdoors or schedule games early in the season. It gives them hefty recruiting advantages over teams that experience winter.

I would love to see this, as WVU's coach has long lamented the unfairness of the current schedule to teams outside the deep south. The SEC will most certainly try to sabotage this effort.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
The SEC has always been against it. It is to their advantage that teams in the north cant practice outdoors or schedule games early in the season. It gives them hefty recruiting advantages over teams that experience winter.

I would love to see this, as WVU's coach has long lamented the unfairness of the current schedule to teams outside the deep south. The SEC will most certainly try to sabotage this effort.
Supposedly Bertman wanted this forever, and Corbin and Bianco are backing it now. So the SEC isn’t as opposed as you might think.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
The only downside I see to the plan is some reduced student involvement later in the season, but this could be offset with some creative marketing to the local communities, especially in "college towns" like Stillwater. It might even return baseball in general to something like the olden days (even before my old ass) where smaller communities had teams in the very low minors of professional baseball, like Class B, C and D in the 1920s - '40s.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
The only downside I see to the plan is some reduced student involvement later in the season, but this could be offset with some creative marketing to the local communities, especially in "college towns" like Stillwater. It might even return baseball in general to something like the olden days (even before my old ass) where smaller communities had teams in the very low minors of professional baseball, like Class B, C and D in the 1920s - '40s.
Exactly. You look at places where college baseball is a big draw and the community comes out to the games. We have a beautiful new ballpark and it would be great to add a new summer time activity in Stillwater.

Apr 14, 2009
Gary Ward talked of doing this in 1980. He said MLB is not in favor of collage baseball in the summer time. To them it’s an attendance threat to the MLB farm system.