New coaches thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper: What is new offensive line coach Charlie Dickey inheriting at Oklahoma State?

Under Dickey, two Kansas State offensive linemen went in the NFL draft. Dalton Risner will almost certainly become the third this year. Cody Whitehair went to the Chicago Bears in the second round in 2016. He has started 48 consecutive games and reached a Pro Bowl.

From 2011-18, Kansas State placed an offensive lineman on the All-Big 12 first team every year.

Dickey will be tasked with completing the rebuild of an offensive line that has spent the better part of five years spinning its tires. The unit showed progress in 2017, cutting its sacks by 25 percent and helping Justice Hill to a 1,400-yard season.

But it allowed 34 sacks in 13 games in 2018, increasing a five-year total to 162, or 32.4 per season.

There have been myriad reasons, some referenced ad nauseum, as to why a unit that allowed just 11.8 sacks per year from 2009-13 has regressed so hard. The instability following Wickline’s departure after the 2013 season hasn’t helped.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Is this based on your years of being in the coaching ranks? Actually, if you listen to Gundy, he finally got his first choice for O-line coach. Interesting, that he would admit that after Henson left for more money.
actually it is and I haven't talked to many guys that have made their living coaching that think this was much of a step up if any at all. If that's Gundy's choice that's fine it's his to make. Just don't try and make everyone think this is replacing a dud with a star. Its not true.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
actually it is and I haven't talked to many guys that have made their living coaching that think this was much of a step up if any at all. If that's Gundy's choice that's fine it's his to make. Just don't try and make everyone think this is replacing a dud with a star. Its not true.
I don’t think anyone was saying that Henson was a dud. He was above average. Dickey will be better based on his past performance.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
We might have traded close to even, but we didnt improve
Wait, you went from “we didn’t improve” to throwing out a strawman about people saying Henson was a dud...which no one did.

We didn’t improve from a recruiting standpoint. That’s true.

But from a performance standpoint? From the standpoint of putting linemen in the NFL? From the standpoint of turning O-linemen into All-Conference team members?

Yes, we have improved. The proof is there in numbers.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Putting guys in the NFL makes recruiting a hell of a lot easier than selling them a dream. I'm not saying that recruiting the guys Henson brought in won't make it easier for Dickie because he is like the new OC stepping into a pretty sweet gig.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Wait, you went from “we didn’t improve” to throwing out a strawman about people saying Henson was a dud...which no one did.

We didn’t improve from a recruiting standpoint. That’s true.

But from a performance standpoint? From the standpoint of putting linemen in the NFL? From the standpoint of turning O-linemen into All-Conference team members?

Yes, we have improved. The proof is there in numbers.
I wouldn't waste your time. This guy's still salty that Henson didn't get the OC job.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten...

Through his first nine seasons as the head man, Mike Gundy had one offensive line coach. In 2005-13, Joe Wickline’s offensive lines consistently were the best position group in the program.

During that time, actually, there was no more consistently excellent position group in the Big 12. Behind Wickline’s blockers, OSU ran the football beautifully and rarely botched a pass-protection assignment.

Since Wickline’s infamous departure for the University of Texas — a move that resulted in breach-of-contract allegations — Gundy’s beloved continuity has been cut to pieces.

While a frustrated Gundy has attempted to restore the OSU line to its status of a decade ago, this is what Charlie Dickey accomplished at K-State: In 10 seasons, 22 of his linemen achieved All-Big 12 distinction. Ten were first-team selections.

Now, Dickey accepts the assignment of replicating that success at Oklahoma State and, for the sake of Gundy’s continuity, doing it for several seasons.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper: Former Kansas State All-American Dalton Risner credits new Oklahoma State coach Charlie Dickey on and off the field

Dalton Risner has cried with Charlie Dickey. He has celebrated with Dickey. He has mourned with Dickey.

Risner, who completed a five-year football career at Kansas State this past season, went to Dickey when he needed to process the unthinkable. In Risner’s junior season, one of his friends back home in Colorado died.

“I was miserable, man,” Risner said. “I told him, ‘I’ve got to go back home, I can’t play.’ By no means was he like, ‘No, you’re staying here, you’re playing.’ He just talked me through it and he just sat down and was able to talk to me and incorporated faith into it, because faith is important to me, and he was just there.

“... A lot of coaches might have just said, ‘Toughen it up and get out there on the field,’ or would have just let me go home and said, ‘Yeah, go home, it’s upsetting.’ But he was there for as many hours as I needed, and it wasn’t just that day. He followed up months after that, making sure I was OK. He asked about their family, he said that he was praying for them.”

In five years at K-State, Risner transformed from an unheralded prospect from a Class 1A high school in Colorado into an All-American offensive tackle and potential first-round pick in the NFL draft in April. In a phone interview with the Tulsa World, he spoke affectionately about Dickey, the offensive line coach who recruited and “molded” him.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but looks like Dunn was just promoted to Associate HC.
I should have posted it here rather than start a new thread. My bad.

Mark's story here

It came as a mild surprise to some that Oklahoma State's announcement of its offensive coordinator last month didn't include a promotion for longtime receivers coach Kasey Dunn.

That changed Monday, when Oklahoma State announced Dunn has been elevated to associate head coach in addition to his responsibilities coaching the OSU receivers.

Dunn, who has been at Oklahoma State in 2011, has developed two Biletnikoff Award winners in Justin Blackmon (2011) and James Washington (2017). Tylan Wallace nearly became the third in 2018 when he was named a finalist.