New coaches thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
Something my I heard or read, mentioned that Henson to Aggies has been in the works for a few weeks. So it could've been before the Gleeson hire. That means he could have turned gundy down.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
I doubt that this happened. Gleeson was announced more than a week before Texas A&M lost their offensive line coach to the NFL. I doubt that Fisher would've reached out to Henson before the position was open. I think Henson left because he was upset that he got passed over for the OC job.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Or he didn't want the oc job and had already told gundy that and made the deal with the Aggies and left without trying to get a raise. Point is, we don't know.

& perhaps we'll never know.

Having said that, though, how likley is it that Henson actually turned down the OC job & a salary of around $1 million to make a lateral move for $400k less?

Now, he may have been itching to get back into the SEC & looked at this as a way to do so. I don't pretend to know, but I seriously doubt he turned down a coordinator position & $400k a year more to remain an OL coach.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
If one of my employees was offered a 40% raise to do the same job at another company , I’d have to tell them “enjoyed your time here with us, good luck in the future”

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Agreed with the analysis above: Gundy most likely had Dickey ready to go Incase Henson bolted due to not getting O.C. job. Actually very skillfully done by Gundy.

Let’s hope he has a Master strategy in place for Dunn

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
So an inference here. If MG knows exactly who he wants for a specific job he immediately goes after them. If he doesn't, he takes his time, does his research, and thinks the decision through.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Looking back on how this played out this is the scenario that seems the most likely to me.

Gundy knew going outside of current staff was going to upset Henson and would quite possibly create a situation where Henson would create an exit strategy.

Many of us thought that would be the case so surely Gundy did as well and prepared for it.

So, when making his decision on which way to go with the OC position, Gundy contacted Dickey to see if he would want the O line position if/when Henson left.

Thus, he had Dickey in his back pocket which freed him up to hire whoever he wanted knowing he could absorb the loss of Henson with Dickey.

If this is indeed the sequence in which this happened then kudos to Gundy.
Did Gundy consider the possible consequences of going outside the program with his OC hire? Sure. As anyone remotely in tune with the program would figure both Henson and Dunn might be open to other opportunities. But did Gundy contact Dickie before the aTm opportunity opened for Henson? Very doubtful.
First, Henson or Dunn can’t create their own opportunity, it would have to come to them. There would be no reason to necessarily think an opportunity for Henson or Dunn would materialize this soon.
Second, would Henson or Dunn tell Gundy they would be looking for another opportunity? Doubtful. That’s a good way to get replaced without having anything in hand.
Third, unless Gundy was NOT prepared to hire Gleeson without a suitable replacement for Henson and Dunn, what would be the point of arranging a back-up plan before hiring Gleeson that may or may not be needed, especially given
Fourth, anytime you start discussing a contingent hire with anyone you run the risk of the public becoming aware which then you risk Henson (or other coaches) finding out you’re looking to replace him when there’s no indication he wants to leave.
I’m sure Gundy had Dickie in mind, but doubt he had any contact before Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Or he didn't want the oc job and had already told gundy that and made the deal with the Aggies and left without trying to get a raise. Point is, we don't know.

& perhaps we'll never know.

Having said that, though, how likley is it that Henson actually turned down the OC job & a salary of around $1 million to make a lateral move for $400k less?

Now, he may have been itching to get back into the SEC & looked at this as a way to do so. I don't pretend to know, but I seriously doubt he turned down a coordinator position & $400k a year more to remain an OL coach.
Or he doesn't want the promotion and the added pressure. Some people don't want that kind of thing they're happy where they're at with the current job responsibilities and don't mind moving to a different company with the same responsibilities for more money.

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
Man, what a great hire! KSU always had good lines from little known or unknown linemen. Don't know about his recruiting abilities, but i am very happy with this hire. another good trait about him is loyalty.

EDIT from PFB:
Big 12 Offensive Linemen invited to the NFL combine the last 6 years:
Oklahoma - 10
Kansas State - 4
WVU/Baylor/TCU - 3
Texas Tech - 1
Texas - 1
ISU/KU/OSU - 0

Last edited:

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Man, what a great hire! KSU always had good lines from little known or unknown linemen. Don't know about his recruiting abilities, but i am very happy with this hire. another good trait about him is loyalty.

EDIT from PFB:
Big 12 Offensive Linemen invited to the NFL combine the last 6 years:
Oklahoma - 10
Kansas State - 4
WVU/Baylor/TCU - 3
Texas Tech - 1
Texas - 1
ISU/KU/OSU - 0
Actually that was a tweet from Bill Bedenbaugh, the OU offensive line coach, stolen by PFB.
https://mobile.twitter.com/OU_CoachB/status/1094096007309217794

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
After all the changes at O-line coach the last 5 years, Gundy has his top 3 on speed dial. Just glad Snyder stepping away made it option #1.

I think this is an upgrade in coaching based on on-field results. Might be a downgrade in recruiting but I don’t have anything to base it on, other than everyone’s high opinion of Henson recruiting

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
After all the changes at O-line coach the last 5 years, Gundy has his top 3 on speed dial. Just glad Snyder stepping away made it option #1.

I think this is an upgrade in coaching based on on-field results. Might be a downgrade in recruiting but I don’t have anything to base it on, other than everyone’s high opinion of Henson recruiting
I think Dickey’s recruiting will improve because of the university and Gundy’s reputation of being a player’s coach.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Actually that was a tweet from Bill Bedenbaugh, the OU offensive line coach, stolen by PFB.
https://mobile.twitter.com/OU_CoachB/status/1094096007309217794
When people use odd milestones to pad stats, it always make me cautious. Why is 6 years relevant? If it were 10 or 5 would the numbers be as skewed?

Oct 30, 2007
When people use odd milestones to pad stats, it always make me cautious. Why is 6 years relevant? If it were 10 or 5 would the numbers be as skewed?
I bet he used 6 years because that's how long he's been at Oklahoma. He's bragging about his accomplishments. I hate to say it, but he's a darn good coach.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
People to hand pick the numbers that support their point, but no matter how you slice it we've had a lot of O-line coordinators and very few All Americans from the O-line recently. I like the new hire, but we need to do whatever is necessary to stabilize that position for a couple of years.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
People to hand pick the numbers that support their point, but no matter how you slice it we've had a lot of O-line coordinators and very few All Americans from the O-line recently. I like the new hire, but we need to do whatever is necessary to stabilize that position for a couple of years.
Considering his loyalty to Snyder for so long, I suspect the new hire will do just that.

Sep 18, 2018
Gatesville, TX
Gone are the days of career position coaches who hone their craft and spend decades as dominant position coaches with no aspirations of anything more.

Guys like Howard Mudd who coached OL for 40 years. Real tradesmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk