New coaches thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 31, 2011
I'm glad Henson is gone, Gundy basically said Henson was the backup plan last time. So now he has his man. And I liked Yurcich, but I'm excited to see Gleason.

In total, I really like the way this is working out.

Aug 16, 2012
Which just shows how tone deaf Gundy has become.

Either tone deaf or arrogant to lose great coaches like Henson.

Geez this Burns
Late to the party, but someone remind me where to find the game threads with dozens upon dozens of posts that compliment the line play. He has brought in some recruits with potential, but face it, the line was not very good last year.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Late to the party, but someone remind me where to find the game threads with dozens upon dozens of posts that compliment the line play. He has brought in some recruits with potential, but face it, the line was not very good last year.
Yep, you are late to the party. You need to read the rest of this thread before castigating people.

Aug 16, 2012
Yep, you are late to the party. You need to read the rest of this thread before castigating people.
Actually, do not need to catch up for the point to still be valid. Never castigated anyone either. Simply asked for someone to point out where I could find the posts talking about our great line play. Tongue in cheek way of expressing my opinion, but certainly did not call anyone out.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Actually, do not need to catch up for the point to still be valid. Never castigated anyone either. Simply asked for someone to point out where I could find the posts talking about our great line play. Tongue in cheek way of expressing my opinion, but certainly did not call anyone out.
It just seemed like you were calling out Herecomesbullets when he has even said that he likes the new hire.

Aug 16, 2012
It just seemed like you were calling out Herecomesbullets when he has even said that he likes the new hire.
As noted, I have been away and catch up has been in short stints. Was not a shot at bullets, it is possible to have a different opinion and not "call out" someone.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Yurcich made $800K last year. Gleeson's salary hasn't been announced, but I bet that we saved enough that we could've matched the salary bump Henson received. I think this happened because he was upset that he was passed over for the OC job.
Something my I heard or read, mentioned that Henson to Aggies has been in the works for a few weeks. So it could've been before the Gleeson hire. That means he could have turned gundy down.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Reports are that Henson will be making $175,000 more at A&M.

So...After passing him up for OC, we had no plans to give him a raise?

So...
We just expected him to take his medicine and fall in line
or...
We just simply didn't care if he did what he did and left.

Seriously, did the people in charge of this program really not think Henson was going to be upset about not getting the OC position?
Or he didn't want the oc job and had already told gundy that and made the deal with the Aggies and left without trying to get a raise. Point is, we don't know.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Something my I heard or read, mentioned that Henson to Aggies has been in the works for a few weeks. So it could've been before the Gleeson hire. That means he could have turned gundy down.

I live near College Station. The local paper didn't break the news that Turner, the current A&M OL coach was interviewing with Cincinnati until February 5th. The article implied the Cincinnati possibility had just came up in that time frame. After Henson was hired an article said it happened "very quickly", over a few days, but who knows for sure. Turner was one of the highest paid OL coaches in college football, and they matched the pay with Henson. There are coaches at A&M that Henson coached with at LSU under Miles and I think Mizzou, so there is a comfort factor there as well.

Turner is an ex-NFL coach, so it is possible he was interviewing for other NFL jobs before that. He was also known to be a short-timer coach at A&M after a stint as an NFL OL coach at Miami. He was fired for allegedly being aware of and even part of the taunting incidents of an openly gay offensive lineman - otherwise he was considered a good NFL coach. They probably knew he'd look to return to the NFL when the smoke cleared.

So unless Turner was actively interviewing before that with other teams, indications are not likely they have been talking for weeks. And based on the points noted above, don't think they needed to be. Henson was surely in at least some occasional contact with Jimbo as they had coached together before and were friends. A&M is paying top dollar plus at every coaching position.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The fact of the matter is Gundy, in a effort to keep from having to hire a new OC every other year, is pissing off his assistants bringing in highly under qualified OCs. Don’t have to hire a new OC all the time but you have to hire a new OL coach every year? Crazy.
Ha ha ha ha, you're funny. You have no idea if Henson was pissed off. He could have told gundy "I'm leaving" before he was offered the job. I don't know and neither do you.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Looking back on how this played out this is the scenario that seems the most likely to me.

Gundy knew going outside of current staff was going to upset Henson and would quite possibly create a situation where Henson would create an exit strategy.

Many of us thought that would be the case so surely Gundy did as well and prepared for it.

So, when making his decision on which way to go with the OC position, Gundy contacted Dickey to see if he would want the O line position if/when Henson left.

Thus, he had Dickey in his back pocket which freed him up to hire whoever he wanted knowing he could absorb the loss of Henson with Dickey.

If this is indeed the sequence in which this happened then kudos to Gundy.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Turner is an ex-NFL coach, so it is possible he was interviewing for other NFL jobs before that. He was also known to be a short-timer coach at A&M after a stint as an NFL OL coach at Miami.
aTm is used to short-timer coaches. It hasn’t exactly been the exemplar of stability this century.:)

Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
www.tulsalawyer.org
STILLWATER — Likely before some Oklahoma State football fans had even heard the news that their team had a vacancy for an offensive line coach, Mike Gundy had filled it.

Roughly 20 hours after it was reported that Josh Henson had taken a job at Texas A&M, Gundy posted on Twitter shortly past noon on Saturday that he had hired former Kansas State offensive line coach Charlie Dickey to fill the opening.
“I’ve tried to hire Coach Dickey before but was unsuccessful because of his loyalty to Coach (Bill) Snyder at Kansas State,” Gundy wrote. “Coach Dickey will be here on Monday meeting with our offensive linemen.”
Dickey has a reputation for developing linemen into NFL-caliber players, with his latest protégé, Dalton Risner, being discussed as a potential first-round pick in April’s draft,

Dickey walks into a favorable situation in Stillwater, with four returning starters — center Johnny Wilson, left guard Marcus Keyes and tackles Teven Jenkins and Dylan Galloway — plus a slew of talented young players ready to be molded.
Henson’s recruiting over the last two years rebuilt what had become a position of dread at OSU, but the Cowboys added nine big, athletic blockers to the fold in the last two recruiting classes. Some of them will be ready to step into backup roles or compete for starting jobs in the fall.
Freshmen Hunter Woodard and Hunter Anthony could be in the mix with junior walk-on Ry Schneider and veterans Matt Kegel and Larry Joubert for spots on the two-deep at guard.
Freshmen Bryce Bray and Jacob Farrell will do the same at tackle, and Tyrese Williams is a top candidate to back up Wilson at center.

https://newsok.com/article/5622510/...istant-charlie-dickey-to-coach-offensive-line